Woman pried off boyfriend's toilet after 2 years...

I'm astounded that this is news. What business is it of anyone else?

MG

I don't even know why it's news when a sled dog dies of a heart attack during a race in Alaska....but it was listed as a Top News story on Aol earlier in the week.

Dog Dies in Iditarod Trail Sled Race

AP/AOL

Posted: 2008-03-08 21:41:39

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (March 8) - A dog in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race died on Saturday. The 7-year-old male, named Zaster, was the first dog death in this year's race.

It appears that both of the adults involved were mentally challenged, and that the woman had suffered from physical abuse early in her life, from comments by a sheriff.

This is possibly newsworthy in that it shows the tragic results of the underfunded state of public services for the disabled in the U.S. People who are not really able to care for themselves have few or no good options, in many communities in the U.S.

I am sensitive to this as the father of a severely disabled son, who would have very insufficient services available for his literal survival if my wife and I were to simultaneously die.

It appears that both of the adults involved were mentally challenged, and that the woman had suffered from physical abuse early in her life, from comments by a sheriff.

This is possibly newsworthy in that it shows the tragic results of the underfunded state of public services for the disabled in the U.S. People who are not really able to care for themselves have few or no good options, in many communities in the U.S.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm astounded that this is news. What business is it of anyone else?

MG

MG, For you to have even conceived of that idea, the news media in Great Britain must be astonishingly different than the media in the United States.

It's not the news media; it's the people who went in to rescue her. The news media wouldn't have got to hear about it if those people hadn't spread it about. In their line of work, I'd have expected discretion.

MG

• 4 months later...

Boyfriend of woman stuck to toilet gets probation

NESS CITY, Kan. - A man whose girlfriend sat on a toilet for so long that the seat adhered to her body will spend six months on probation.

Kory McFarren pleaded no contest last month to a misdemeanor count of mistreatment of a dependent adult. A judge sentenced him Tuesday to six months in jail but granted the probation after the victim, Pam Babcock, asked for leniency.

"She didn't believe that her circumstances were his fault," Ness County Attorney Craig Crosswhite said.

Babcock's plight became known in February when McFarren called the Ness County sheriff, expressing concern about his live-in girlfriend. When authorities arrived, they found Babcock physically stuck to the toilet.

McFarren told police Babcock had refused to come out of the bathroom for two years. Medical personnel estimated she'd been sitting on the toilet for at least a month and said the seat had adhered to sores on her body.

She is now under the protection of a guardian who was appointed through the legal department at the hospital where she received treatment.

Also Tuesday, McFarren was sentenced to six months in jail for an unrelated charge of lewd and lascivious behavior for exposing himself to a teenage neighbor in March.

• 2 months later...

I guess the dude didn't spend 6 months in jail after all...

Boyfriend of woman stuck to toilet wins $20,000 in Kansas Lottery

GREAT BEND, Kan. – A Kansas man whose girlfriend was physically stuck to the toilet in their home has won $20,000 in the state Lottery – for the second time this year.

Kory McFarren of Ness City cashed in his winning $2 Bonus Crossword ticket in Great Bend Monday. On July 29, the 37-year-old McFarren received six months of probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor mistreatment of a dependent adult.

McFarren called Ness County deputies in February to report that his girlfriend, Pam Babcock, had refused to come out of the bathroom for two years. Authorities found her stuck to the toilet.

Medical personnel estimated Babcock had been on the toilet for at least a month and said the seat had adhered to sores on her body. She was released from a Wichita hospital after several months of treatment.