Eddie Costa Corner

Clunky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can there possibly be an Eddie Costa thread without mention of his greatest recordings - the Fuerst and Second Set issued originally on Xanadu, and then later on a french CD? Live in Ed Fuerst's living room, I think, with Costa, Tal Farlow, and bass (was it Vinnie Burke?) - amazing, relaxed, out-of-the-studio Costa.

Also, House of Blue Lights is brilliant, fascinating because one hears the effects of the burgeoning free-jazz movement on Costa's playing -

From certain things Costa does, for instance, on "Opus de Funk" in the Fuerst recordings (1956), and his House of blue lights (1959), it would've been extremely interesting to hear whatever he might have done had he lived longer.

There's also quite a quintet (apparently unrecorded at a festival in Washington in 1962) with Eric Dolphy, Costa, Don Ellis, Ron Carter and Charlie Persip.

Top of my head, for fast-and-furious solos by Costa on piano, check his Yesterdays from Farlow's "Tal", What A Country from Clark Terry's "The Jazz Version of All American" (reissued in the CD "Mellow Moods" by Prestige/Fantasy) and Criss Cross (not the Monk tune but a fast blues) by the McKusick-Farmer Quintet, where he outswings everyone else.

F

I did read the damn thread - only a TINY reference on first page - that's boneheaded -

It was mentioned five times (not analyzed in depth, but mentioned by no less than five people), and you said it hadn't been mentioned, that's all. :unsure: At any rate, I was just trying to have a little fun with you (how many smileys does it take?).

• 2 weeks later...

The Spanish Blue Moon label (part of Fresh Sounds) has reissued material from Dot (the Don Bagley albums among others). Wonder why they have not reissued the Eddie Costa 'House of Blue Lights' session yet.

This the Bagley cd you're referring to? Sure looks interesting. How's the sound?

337458_CD_L_F.jpg

Update: Per Hiroshi's latest newsletter, looks like this'll be out in March. Good news!

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=0entry464358

The Spanish Blue Moon label (part of Fresh Sounds) has reissued material from Dot (the Don Bagley albums among others). Wonder why they have not reissued the Eddie Costa 'House of Blue Lights' session yet.

This the Bagley cd you're referring to? Sure looks interesting. How's the sound?

337458_CD_L_F.jpg

Update: Per Hiroshi's latest newsletter, looks like this'll be out in March. Good news!

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=0entry464358

Weizen, that's the one indeed. I have the Japanese vinyl reissue of it, mono copy on Arista Japan. Very good sound. Now don't ask me why it came out on Arista :o

I have the Japanese vinyl reissue of it, mono copy on Arista Japan. Very good sound. Now don't ask me why it came out on Arista :o

Wild guess:

- Regent = Savoy

- Savoy records were reissued by Ariola in the 80s

- Arista = Ariola?

F

Mais oui, bien sur! Forgot about Clive Davis, owner of Arista Records, buying the Savoy jazz catalogue in the mid-70s.

• 3 months later...

I remember reading years ago that the stereo takes for the Dot session were entirely different from the mono takes

Have A/B-ed the album: the same takes were used for both the mono and stereo versions. However, two tunes were edited only in the stereo version: one is missing a short solo piano intro, and another is missing a whole 32-bar chorus.

Also, AFAIK, the mono version has never been reissued.

F

PS A copy of the mono LP went for $400+ on eBay recently (wasn't me).

I remember reading years ago that the stereo takes for the Dot session were entirely different from the mono takes

Have A/B-ed the album: the same takes were used for both the mono and stereo versions. However, two tunes were edited only in the stereo version: one is missing a short solo piano intro, and another is missing a whole 32-bar chorus.

F

PS A copy of the mono LP went for $400+ on eBay recently (wasn't me).

So , two very good reasons to hang on to my tape of the mono LP :excl:

Thanks for clearing up the mono/stereo takes question Fernando . :tup

I suppose a bad mike could have necessitated the stereo edits .

I know your forthcoming Costa discography will answer this , but the Japanese vinyl reissue(s) were all in stereo then ? And , the Lonehill CD , like the most recent Japanese CD , is in stereo ?

I hope somebody who has the Lonehill will give us a report on the overall sound quality of the CD ; I hope Lonehill did a good job , as this is the way most people will be exposed to this most interesting piano jazz .

I know your forthcoming Costa discography will answer this , but the Japanese vinyl reissue(s) were all in stereo then ? And , the Lonehill CD , like the most recent Japanese CD , is in stereo ?

I hope somebody who has the Lonehill will give us a report on the overall sound quality of the CD ; I hope Lonehill did a good job , as this is the way most people will be exposed to this most interesting piano jazz .

RE: Reissues of Blue Lights, all of them in stereo AFAIK, including the LoneHill. Sound quality in the LoneHill is as good as their sources, although it seems to me that the latest Japanese reissue of Blue Lights (2003) sounds better than the Lonehill (2005).

From what the LoneHill says in its liner notes, I guess the source for the Jubilee LP is the previous Fresh Sound reissue.

And, btw, the LoneHill does NOT have the complete trio recordings of Eddie Costa, not even as a leader. But that's hardly news, I guess.

F

• 2 years later...

337458_CD_L_F.jpg

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry464358

Weizen, that's the one indeed. I have the Japanese vinyl reissue of it, mono copy on Arista Japan. Very good sound. Now don't ask me why it came out on Arista :o

Wasn't it on Arista because of a Savoy/Regent etc. connection?

Edited by jazzbo

So which would be the best reissue of HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHTS currently available?

Leads gratefuly accepted.

(I am one of those who missed the original LP a couple of time on eBay too, though never at anything like $700)

I'd go for the latest Japanese reissue. There's a LoneHill too (it includes the previous Jubilee LP with Vinnie Burke), but I suspect the source is the 1995 Japanese reissue. I have the 2003 and it sounds better to me.

F