Braxton Arista and Freedom set on Mosaic?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this in the freejazz site

Anthony Braxton Arista and Freedom recordings

Submitted by heathdwatts on Mon, 2008-03-24 00:05.

announcement:

I emailed Mosaic Records and they told me that they will be issuing this collection in October

A long awaited piece of news by many, I think.

F

That is awesome news. Thanks for sharing.

I have Silence and The Complete Braxton on Intercord/Freedom. Were there any other Braxtons issued under that aegis?

If indeed the Braxton is released, I'm definitely buying it!

I'm confused here as my copy of The Complete Braxton 1971 is Arista/Freedom , small print however says licensed from Black Lion. What ever I'll be on this set at some point I have no doubt

All of the material on Arista/Freedom was licensed from Alan Bates, owner of Black Lion and Freedom (at the time).

Complete Braxton was initially issued in a German pressing on the Freedom label.

Braxton is also on one side of a Freedom lp by Richard Teitelbaum. That material is included on a Black Lion cd reissue of Silence.

How many discs is this one likely to be ?

The Arista material should fit on 8 discs, depending on extra material. There are two versions of 23G that were recorded but rejected for the Berlin/Montreux Concerts.

As for the "Freedom" material, the Complete Braxton was a 2 LP set and Silence was 1 LP. Time Zones with Teitelbaum was 1 LP with Braxton on both sides. Silence and Time Zones were reissued on 1 disc by Black Lion.

The Arista material should fit on 8 discs, depending on extra material. There are two versions of 23G that were recorded but rejected for the Berlin/Montreux Concerts.

As for the "Freedom" material, the Complete Braxton was a 2 LP set and Silence was 1 LP. Time Zones with Teitelbaum was 1 LP with Braxton on both sides. Silence and Time Zones were reissued on 1 disc by Black Lion.

The word is seven.

Seven is the word.

The word is seven.

Seven is the word.

The order word I have heard is "incomplete."

It should be interesting to see how they split things up.

I would think that the two pieces, For Four Orchestras (Composition 82) (1hr:54min)

and the Oppens/Rzewski recording of For Two Pianos (Composition 95) (49:53)

would fit nicely on a 3 disc set with some other pieces filling out 4 more discs.

I haven't yet done the math to see how all of the Arista sides add up.

Edited by rostasi