Purple Chick Beatles Remasters

Having just read about these (techincally bootleg) remasterings of the Beatles catalogue in Rolling Stone last week, I decided to check them out. I decided to get my all time favorite Beatles album and go from there, so I downloaded "Revolver." Check this out: First of all, it's free. Second, it sounds amazing. Third, you get three CDs worth of material. Here's what's on the Purple Chick version of "Revolver":

DISC ONE: Stereo

single

1: Paperback Writer

2: Rain

Revolver

3: Taxman

4: Eleanor Rigby

5: I’m Only Sleeping

6: Love You To

7: Here, There and Everywhere

8: Yellow Submarine

9: She Said, She Said

10: Good Day Sunshine

11: And Your Bird Can Sing

12: For No One

13: Dr. Robert

14: I Want To Tell You

15: Got To Get You Into My Life

16: Tomorrow Never Knows

alternate stereo mixes

17: I’m Only Sleeping (US mix)

18: And Your Bird Can Sing (US mix)

19: Dr. Robert (US mix)

20: Paperback Writer (Anthology video)

21: Rain (Anthology video)

22: Eleanor Rigby (Y.S. Songtrack)

23: Love You To (Y.S. Songtrack)

24: Yellow Submarine (Y.S. Songtrack)

25: For No One (Anthology DVD)

26: Paperback Writer (Anthology DVD)

27: Rain (Anthology DVD)

DISC TWO: Mono

single

1: Paperback Writer

2: Rain

Revolver

3: Taxman

4: Eleanor Rigby

5: I’m Only Sleeping

6: Love You To

7: Here, There and Everywhere

8: Yellow Submarine

9: She Said, She Said

10: Good Day Sunshine

11: And Your Bird Can Sing

12: For No One

13: Dr. Robert

14: I Want To Tell You

15: Got To Get You Into My Life

16: Tomorrow Never Knows (mono matrix ii)

alternate mono mixes

17: I’m Only Sleeping (US mix)

18: Dr. Robert (US mix)

19: Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Matrix I)

20: Yellow Submarine (unreleased)

21: Yellow Submarine (film mix)

Disc Three: Outtakes

1: Mark I (Tomorrow Never Knows) - take 1 (Anthology 2)

2: Got To Get You Into My Life - take 5 (Anthology 2 + Anthology DVD + Anthology video)

3: Paperback Writer - take 1 (Studio Sessions)

4: Paperback Writer - take 2 (Studio Sessions + URT1)

5: And Your Bird Can Sing - take 2 (stereo remix from Anthology DVD surround channels, with loop removed)

6: And Your Bird Can Sing - take 2 + overdubs (stereo remix from Anthology DVD surround channels, with loop removed)

7: Taxman - take 11 (Anthology 2)

8: Eleanor Rigby - take 14 (Anthology 2)

9: I’m Only Sleeping - rehearsal (Anthology 2)

10: I’m Only Sleeping - remake take 1 (Anthology 2)

11: For No One - rehearsal (CRMM)

12: For No One - take 1 (CRMM)

13: For No One - take 2 (CRMM)

14: For No One - a (CCRMM)

15: For No One - b (CCRMM)

16: For No One - c (CCRMM)

17: For No One - take 10 (composite from CRMM)

18: For No One - take 14 (composite from CRMM)

19: Yellow Submarine - take 5 (Real Love single)

20: Here, There and Everywhere - take 7(+14) (Real Love single)

21: Here, There and Everywhere - take 14 (composite from CRMM)

alternate mixes

22: Got To Get You Into My Life - take 5 (Anthology 2)

23: And Your Bird Can Sing - take 2 (Anthology 2 OOPSed)

24: And Your Bird Can Sing - take 2+overdubs (Anthology 2)

monitor mixes

25: Mark I (Tomorrow Never Knows) - take 1 (Anthology DVD)

26: Tomorrow Never Knows - take 3 (Anthology DVD)

27: For No One - take 10a (CCRMM + CRMM)

28: For No One - take 10b (CRMM)

29: For No One - take 10c (CRMM + CCRMM + CRMM)

30: For No One - take 14 (CRMM + CCRMM)

31: Here, There and Everywhere - take 14a (CCRMM + CRMM)

32: Here, There and Everywhere - take 14b (CRMM)

33: Here, There and Everywhere - take 14c (CRMM)

34: Here, There and Everywhere - take 14d (CRMM)

So far, this is the only one I've heard. I have downloaded the version of "Rubber Soul" and part of "Help!". Anyone else into these? They take a while to download, but they are totally worth it!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing on the Beatles site about this. This almost certainly has to be illegal.

Having said that, I hope this wakes up EMI/Capitol to get their rears in gear and get the product out there in some legal form.

Edited by Big Al

Having said that, I hope this wakes up EMI/Capitol to get their rears in gear and get the product out there in some legal form.

:tup

Would be nice to have 2 disc deluxe editions of their core catalog! With singles, related tracks, mono/stereo, etc.

Also, I forgot to mention the two Beatles Capitol Album boxes, which *are* remasters, of the American releases.

So actually, the following have been released in remix/remastered form:

Meet the Beatles!

Second Album

Something New

Beatles '65

Early Beatles

Beatles VI

Help!

Rubber Soul

plus

Yellow Submarine Songtrack

Let It Be Naked

Love

This type of material has been out there, available on ebay and other sources, for years. It's not authorized. It has not been all that rare or hard to find.

For example, in the early days of ebay, about a decade ago now (!), I bought a nine CD set of the "Let It Be" sessions for my son. It's not that interesting a set, though. Anyone want to buy it for $10,000?

:tup

Would be nice to have 2 disc deluxe editions of their core catalog! With singles, related tracks, mono/stereo, etc.

No kidding. Have it done like Pink Floyd's PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN set.

These particular 3-CD versions seem like overkill to me, but on principal I can't really blame people for seeking these out - and other versions have been available for years - since they sound so much damn better than the "official" releases. EMI/Apple/Capitol should be embarrassed by what they have released.

Are these illegal?

Technically, yes. They are unauthorized. However, before you get your panties in a bunch, I should point out that these are being GIVEN away, not sold. Anyone who is selling these things is a crook. Secondly, it's not like Purple Chick (whoever he/she/they is/are) just ripped their Beatles CDs and put them on the net. They did serious work here (these were all remastered from audiophile quality vinyl and they sound amazing). It also obviously took some work in rounding up the session material that hasn't already appeared on the "Anthology" sets. Third, I own EVERY SINGLE authorized Beatles CD. I have the entire 1987 catalogue (including the black and white "Past Masters" discs), plus the three "Anthology" sets, the live at the BBC set, the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack," the "1" greatest hits, "Let It Be...Naked", the recent "LOVE" CD and the two Capitol albums box sets. In addition, I have the entire American catlogue on vinyl (with both mono and stereo versions of the American "Revolver" album. One is on Capitol, the other is on the Apple label) AND the "Red" and "Blue" collections. EMI had gotten every possible penny from me when it comes to the Beatles. There is literally NOTHING they can sell me at this point until they start reissuing the catalogue with better sound. And rest assured, when the come out, I WILL BUY THEM (I'm not sure at this point whether or not I will keep the 1987 versions when this happens).

And all these different mixes are fascinating! It also clears up some questions I have about the "official" 1987 CD releases (my mono LP has a different mix of "Got to Get You Into My Life" than is on the CD, which is supposedly the "original mono mix." Yet the mono version on the Purple Chick set conforms to my mono LP, which means that EMI used the stereo mix on the CD). And yes, I didn't link to any of the sites that carry these downloads because I know how you feel about bootlegs, Jim. I'm just giving my opinion of something cool I heard.

This type of material has been out there, available on ebay and other sources, for years. It's not authorized. It has not been all that rare or hard to find.

For example, in the early days of ebay, about a decade ago now (!), I bought a nine CD set of the "Let It Be" sessions for my son. It's not that interesting a set, though. Anyone want to buy it for $10,000?

Purple Chick has a HUGE "Let It Be" set taken from the COMPLETE Naga tapes. It runs to about 83 CDs!

These particular 3-CD versions seem like overkill to me, but on principal I can't really blame people for seeking these out - and other versions have been available for years - since they sound so much damn better than the "official" releases. EMI/Apple/Capitol should be embarrassed by what they have released.

These are just the tip of the iceberg. The PC "Sgt. Pepper" is five CDs and the White Album is TWELVE!

well, as far as I know, "giving it away" is still illegal if you don't own it - it's like if I broke into your house and took your TV and just gave it to a third party -

I prefer to see Purple Chick as the Robin Hood of Beatles remasters...

These are discs that CANNOT be purchased legally. I do see a difference between this and downloading something that you COULD buy at Best Buy or Walmart, but you just won't.

What software do you use to play FLAC files? (And what do others use?)

I have been meaning to look into this. I know that Burrrn and Foobar have been recommended by board members in the past.

Foobar. I haven't used another audio player since I started using it.

This site will also list a bunch of other players that support FLAC.