Purple Chick Beatles Remasters

Foobar. I haven't used another audio player since I started using it.

I didn't even think of using it for anything other than FLAC files, but I will now.

Real Audio and the Windows Media Player both suck. Particularly RA, it crashes.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even think of using it for anything other than FLAC files, but I will now.

Real Audio and the Windows Media Player both suck. Particularly RA, it crashes.

The reason that Foobar is such a great player is that it's extremely light. It uses very little memory and instead of wasting power on graphical niceties it focuses on the audio. It can also convert audio files into just about any format, fix broken header information on files, etc. etc. It is also open source freeware so there are many plug-ins and tweaks available.

Once upon a time, I was really into collecting all these different mixes of Beatles stuff and obsessing over the little details. Then one day it hit me that I wasn't really listening to the music anymore as much as I was listening to those little details and not much else. Nowadays, I never find the need to listen to the Beatles. During that phase, I managed to completely burn myself out on them, despite having been a lifelong fan. Shame these weren't around 15 years ago, back when I was picking up bootleg CDs at $30+ a pop and all the LPs and 45s I could find. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

And 83 discs of the Let It Be stuff! Good lord, even at my biggest Beatles stage, there's just no way I could have stomached that. Lennon himself made the remark about it being some of the most shittly recorded shit and from what I've heard of it, I'd have to agree. (Well, ok, I've heard worse, but I can't imagine anyone needing to hear days worth of the Fabs aimlessly rehearsing songs and running through covers poorly.)

What software do you use to play FLAC files? (And what do others use?)

I have been meaning to look into this. I know that Burrrn and Foobar have been recommended by board members in the past.

This site will also list a bunch of other players that support FLAC.

Can Foobar be used to burn FLAC files to disc?

What software do you use to play FLAC files? (And what do others use?)

I have been meaning to look into this. I know that Burrrn and Foobar have been recommended by board members in the past.

This site will also list a bunch of other players that support FLAC.

Can Foobar be used to burn FLAC files to disc?

Not directly, though you can uncompress them to .wav files and then burn them with any program.

Anybody here knows the story about how whoever releases these discs got hold of the session reels?

My guess is that the session material is taken from previous bootlegs (the sound on the outtakes is necessarily not as stellar as the albums themselves). The albums were taken from LPs, but the outtakes? I don't think so.

Thanks guys; I will try Foobar then. That it is light on memory usage is good news too.

That makes it for me. I should be able to listen to tunes and not have it interfere with anything else I'm doing on the machine.

Once upon a time, I was really into collecting all these different mixes of Beatles stuff and obsessing over the little details. Then one day it hit me that I wasn't really listening to the music anymore as much as I was listening to those little details and not much else. Nowadays, I never find the need to listen to the Beatles. During that phase, I managed to completely burn myself out on them,

Wow, that's exactly what happened to me! Junior & senior years of high school. Then I stopped listening to them almost completely. Oddly enough, thanks to this thread, I'm going through that old phase all over again! I forgot how much fun it was listening for those differences. And "Tomorrow Never Knows" in mono ROCKS!!!!

Once upon a time, I was really into collecting all these different mixes of Beatles stuff and obsessing over the little details. Then one day it hit me that I wasn't really listening to the music anymore as much as I was listening to those little details and not much else. Nowadays, I never find the need to listen to the Beatles. During that phase, I managed to completely burn myself out on them,

Wow, that's exactly what happened to me! Junior & senior years of high school. Then I stopped listening to them almost completely. Oddly enough, thanks to this thread, I'm going through that old phase all over again! I forgot how much fun it was listening for those differences. And "Tomorrow Never Knows" in mono ROCKS!!!!

I'm finding that the albums sound much better in mono in almost every instance. What made them decide to put them out in such primative stereo (where one instrument is in one ear and the voice is in the other)? The CDs are hard to listen to on headphones for just this reason...

I'm finding that the albums sound much better in mono in almost every instance.

Agree with you there, especially on the RUBBER SOUL tracks. "If I Needed Someone" sounds SO much more organic in mono.

Haven't gotten to it yet, but I can't wait to listen to SGT PEPPER, MMT, and the White Album in mono!

I'm finding that the albums sound much better in mono in almost every instance. What made them decide to put them out in such primative stereo (where one instrument is in one ear and the voice is in the other)? The CDs are hard to listen to on headphones for just this reason...

I'm pretty sure I've read the stereo was an afterthought, as seemed to be the common thought for almost all pop and rock of the era. The early stuff was 2 (and later 4) tracks to begin with. The first two albums, if you hear the UK stereo, basically have all the vocals on one channel, instruments in the other because that's how it was recorded. You can play Beatles karaoke with the balance control turned all the way to the right (I think that's the direction.) I also know Rubber Soul's stereo mix was a rush job. EMI was pressuring them to have it out for the holidays, so the stereo mix for that album is really patchy as they put more time in getting the mono right.

I grew up with these on old mono US albums, so not only does the stereo sound weird (still) the UK track listings are still foreign to me.

Oh and you want a really good mono vs. stereo example, try any Motown in the 60s. Berry Gordy clearly put his A-team on making those mono mixes sound wonderful and left the stereo mixes to whoever was free. Some of those Motown stereo mixes are really awful.

• 10 months later...

I defy ANYONE to tell me they can hear they're taken from Vinyl. They are all taken from the well known Dr. Ebbetts "Needle Drop" releases.

It's really not that difficult to tell these are needledrops. For instance, some of the Ebbetts stuff has that sibilance associated with end of side distortion. I'm not saying they're bad to listen to, but I think the sound quality of the Ebbetts releases tends to get oversold a little.