Celeste...why?

Shawn

I don't know if I'm the only one out there who hates these things...but everytime I hear one on a jazz recording it makes my SKIN CRAWL! Some instruments just don't lend themselves well and these things always sounded like a succession of out of tune doorbells strung together. Yuck!

Celeste.jpg

:g

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'm the only one out there who hates these things...but everytime I hear one on a jazz recording it makes my SKIN CRAWL! Some instruments just don't lend themselves well and these things always sounded like a succession of out of tune doorbells strung together. Yuck!

Celeste.jpg

But have you heard Gene Harris play celeste on those early Three Sounds records?

;)

Celeste.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture - I've never even bothered to find out what one of those things looks like. Don't know about the Basie recordings - that's probably because whenever I see the word celeste I usually run as fast and far as I can in the opposite direction. Gotta go!!!!!!!

Edited by Ed Swinnich

If I'm unfortunate enough to have to put up with a celeste, I try very hard to pretend I'm listening to someone playing the vibes. Mostly, it doesn't help. I agree with others who have already weighed in...why?

Same thoughts on a Chambers' bowed bass solo. As I've said before, it sounds like somebody's getting mugged at the end of an alley.

Up over and out.

Ray Charles did some nice celeste work on "The great Ray Charles".

Charles Brown sometimes played celeste, and to great effect - the original version of "Merry Christmas baby" has him on celeste.

But I've got to agree about Duke Pearson's celeste playing on "Prairie dog" - could do a lot better.

I have a few others, I think, but can't bring them to mind. I think it has its place, when a musician really wants to do something with it; as with everything else.

Junior Mance did some nice stuff on harpsichord on the "Harlem lullaby" album.

MG

As a background sound, something to add color, I can see it maybe being used in that context and sounding alright...I just don't think it's a good solo instrument for jazz.

Of course this is all my opinion...and more than a little tongue in cheek.

I also feel the same way about the Harpsichord...

Ray Charles did some nice celeste work on "The great Ray Charles".

Charles Brown sometimes played celeste, and to great effect - the original version of "Merry Christmas baby" has him on celeste.

But I've got to agree about Duke Pearson's celeste playing on "Prairie dog" - could do a lot better.

I have a few others, I think, but can't bring them to mind. I think it has its place, when a musician really wants to do something with it; as with everything else.

Junior Mance did some nice stuff on harpsichord on the "Harlem lullaby" album.

MG

Also McCoy Tyner played it on a cut on "Trident", I believe.

Celeste reminds me of Mr. Rogers, harpsichord reminds me of Lurch on the Addams Family. Ah, television.

Meade Lux Lewis's "Celeste Blues" is a bit of a shock when you come across it on an album full of orthodox piano boogie tracks.

Monk's mix of one hand piano, one hand celeste on "Pannonica" is just right to my ears.

Meade Lux Lewis plays it solo on two tunes on 'The Blues Piano Artistry of Meade Lux Lewis', produced by and with liner notes by our own Chris Albertson. very cool tunes IMHO and I like the sound of it. I think it's more what you do with it than what it is.