Conns arrived today!

connoisseur series500

Got my Conns today and am trying to get through them. Will post my impressions as I listen to them. Aside from "Sonic Boom," I have never heard any of these before.

Larry Young, "Mothership" kicks butt!! So far, this is my favorite. Mobley's "Flip" is terrific as well; and I even like Dizzy Reece's contributions. Quickly played through Sam Rivers and will have to go through it again slowly.

Haven't yet heard Rouse or Hill or Morgan.

Like the remasterings so far.

Quality stuff, my friends.

Still working my way through them. Boy, that's a lot of music.

"Sonic Boom" is terrific hard bop. Love the extra titles at the end. That last song on the cd got me off my chair and I started this quirky shaking motion which cannot quite be called "dancing!" It was kind of a rhythmic trancelike state. Man, that's good music!!

It was late at night and I fell asleep in the middle of "Passing Ships." Liked what I heard so far. Love those low reeds!! Got to play through Fuschia as well.

The Rouse is the weakest of the Conns so far, but I like it. After I get through Hill, I'll go back to "Mother Ship."

Man, this is good music all the way around.

One other comment: some rough mastering spots on the bonus cuts of "Sonic Boom." I'll bring this up on the "Sonic Boom" thread.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Yeah, that's the one with Freddie Hubbard, right? That's a great tune.

Haven't had much of a chance to really go through Sam Rivers yet.

Been too busy listening to Organissimo's cd and watching them live. Been listening to "Decoder" a bunch after hearing them blow the top off it live in Ann Arbor.

Sorry Sam Rivers... B)

Mike, why not order in the US?

I received the Hill and Young Conns yesterday from CD Universe ($12.59), together with two other CDs. I had no customs tax to pay (I usually order 3-4 CDs and the customs let most of those small packages pass, although the value is over the 19 Euro limit for which tax is due).

So with shipping costs added, one Conn cost me $15 (=13 Euro), which is less than the price of the copyprotected Conns from Amazon.de (15.99 Euro).

Had the customs charged me (19% tax in my country), the cost per disc would have been 15.6 Euro, same as the local price. For uncrippled CDs, available 2 weeks before the european release.

Edited by Claude

I order 2 CDs at a time keeping the cost of the discs below $28 which easy enough with new releases at CDUniverse, that avoids customs charges which, once were as high as £8 for an order valued at just over the £18 limit !!!

Still works out as around £11.30 for each Conn.or whatever and all faster than any of the online retailers here in the UK and as Claude points outthe Conns aint crippled. I am waiting on the Hill and another disc by SYOTOS band - Trouble in Paradise.

All but THE FLIP arrived yesterday, and it should be here tomorrow.

Is it just me, or are they using smaller type on the back covers and the part of the back insert that you see through the front? If the audience for this stuff is mostly middle-aged guys, the only thing I can figure is that Rudy's going back into optometry and this is a way to round up business. ;)

All but THE FLIP arrived yesterday, and it should be here tomorrow.

Is it just me, or are they using smaller type on the back covers and the part of the back insert that you see through the front? If the audience for this stuff is mostly middle-aged guys, the only thing I can figure is that Rudy's going back into optometry and this is a way to round up business. ;)

Tell me about it, Jim.

I have to go scrambling for those Meijer's "cheaters" (x1.25) whenever I try to read anything on those cds.

Indeed. I understand they want to give these RVG's a different "look" to instantly differentiate them from the earlier BN's, and they probably think the smaller type looks classy...but SHEESH!! I hate having to bend close to my CD shelves like the Hunchback of Notre Dame just so I won't pick out the wrong album. :wacko:

I have to agree that the extra track on the Rouse is superb, have enjoyed it since THE LOST SESSIONS came out. Listening today, it finally dawned on me one reason why I love it so much: it sounds like a long-lost outtake from Sonny Clark's epochal LEAPIN' AND LOPIN' date! The composition, first of all, is just the kind of elegant hard bop line, deceptively complex, that Clark would've written, tuneful but with just enough dissonance and rhythmic displacement to make it intriguing. Tyner has never souned much (at all!) like Sonny clark to me, but damn if he doesn't here (the more I listened in the car on the way home today, the more I'm convinced he was actively TRYING to sound like Clark for some reason - I had to look and relook to convince myself it was actually Tyner). And of course both Rouse and Billy Higgins were key ingredients in LEAPIN' AND LOPIN'S success and appear on "One for Five." Dig it, dig it, dig it!

Edited by DrJ

My copies arrived from CD Universe yesterday. It was the first time I ordered Blue Note releases from the US instead, so I tested ordering five items at the same time. Inexperienced maybe, since this caused duties to be added which made them slightly more expensive than the copy protected versions on cdon.com (Swedish online store), but only slightly, and still cheaper than in regular shops here in Sweden. In the future I will take the advice of others here and order maybe two items at a time. That should avoid duties being added, and make them clearly cheaper than the copy protected discs. Despite the duties that were added this time (but hopefully not in the future), I regard this test as a success. Everything went smoothly. And most importantly, I have CD versions of the Conns now, not crippled inferior discs!

So I can only agree with Claude and Clunky. Ordering from America is the way to go for Europeans!

this is also my first go at buying from the US. i went for 2 at a time from CD Universe to avoid duties. worked out to be about £10.50 per CD. which is great compared to £14.99 in the shops round my way.

still a bit worried about orderiing from so far away in case i get a bad disc.

i got the new conns from CD Universe but also went for dialogue as i've never been able to find a corrected disc here in the shops in scotland. i figured that i had a good chance that the dialogue CDs from CD Universe must be the good ones by now. came last week and it's a bad disc. sent a couple of emails off to bluenote and got this reply

Please return the disc to the establishment where it was purchased for an

exchange or a refund.  Make sure you have your proof of purchase with you.

Thank you for your inquiry and please continue to visit us at

http://www.bluenote.com

not so easy to return to CD Universe from here. never mind, still a great CD as are the new conns. mother ship is the pick of them for me.

Edited by reg

I'll admit it : it's been almost 2 years since I barely bought a couple of CD's in a shop in Belgium or Luxemburg.My regular suppliers are now Djangomusic.com and CDuniverse, sometimes less well known (to me) on-line sellers I find in the Amazon.com used CD's dpt.

Main reasons for this are : lower costs, even including shipping , much wider choice, including used OOP cd's, a chance to hear a selection of the contents of the disc etc...I can't remember one item I couldn't find online, except Stop and listen on CD from Japan.

Usually, package arrives within 6-10 days, which is acceptable but it took sometimes 4 or 8 weeks also.It even got lost a couple of times but in both cases I was immediately refunded without fuss (Djangomusic and CD universe).

Once also I had to ship back a faulty disc and was refunded for it, shipping costs included...

The only drawback is I liked to browse to the new and used cd's bins in large shops like HMV in London :wub: or Saturn in Köln :g or Cactus in Luxemburg :wacko::rmad:

Back to the Larry Young Mothership : now that copy controlled CD's and unspoiled US copies are simultaneously on the market, would anybody care to "invest" in a copy of each and have a very carefull and critical listen...?I am genuinely interested in having your opinions, since I have none on the subject.. :lol:

Edited by michel devos