Your Biggest BN Reissue Letdown

Soul Stream

I am absolutely stunned by the negative comments about Shades of Redd, All Seeing Eye and Star Bright. Any person with experience playing a wind instrument should be blown away by these discs, let alone listeners. It makes me question WTF you guys listen for.

Uh, uh, Chuck. Must be something wrong with my ears; or I'm just an incorrigible music moron.

I don't like any of those three! Yikes!! :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I would actually call them "let downs" since I was never sure what to expect from these in the first place, but there are certainly a few Conns that I like less than others. One thing that also tends to cloud my (our?) objectivity is how hard some of these discs were to find after they went oop. After searching for so long for some of these (or paying so much), one is reluctant to diss them. ;)

Anyway, a few that I didn't care for so much...

Don Cherry's "Symphony For Improvisers" I like much of Cherry's work, but not this one. I still have it, but rarely play it.

Clifford Jordan's "Cliff Craft" Just doesn't do much for me.

Freddie Hubbard's "Goin' Up" Some Hubbard I like a lot - "Reddy for Freddie," "Blue Spirits," but otherwies I'm with Lon on this one.

I think I have all the Sonny Redd's, and while I do like "Out of the Blue" best of the bunch, none of them really stand out to me.

One of the Sonny Clark's does nothing for me either, though I love just about everything else that he did. Can't think of the title right now, but I believe it's one of the Conns.

Ed,

Trust me you will not be disappointed by The Golden Eight. Although I hate to admit it, that's the only CBBB in my whole collection. I do have a solo disc by Francey Boland, but that doesn't really count. The guy holding down the tenor sax chair on TG8 is a guy by the name of Kari Drevo. Dusko Gojkovich is on trumpet. I liked Drevo so much on this I went out and found a CD with him as the leader. I may own the only copy of this that exists.

Up over and out.

I'll play.

Horace Silver .:. IN PURSUIT OF THE 27TH MAN

I don't have much Silver, and I don't really know why I bought this, but I sold it before the 24th hour!

Lee Morgan .:. DELIGHTFULEE

I still have this because a lot of people seem to like it. I don't know what to do with it. I'm not listening to it, but I'm not ready to get rid of it yet either. What's with the Lennon/McCartney arrangement?

McCoy Tyner .:. THE REAL McCOY

I listened to this a few weeks ago. It never sounds good to me. None of it. I'm not so sure that I dig Tyner's concept... with Coltrane it seems to be a different story altogether.

Stanley Turrentine .:. COMMON TOUCH

Whoa. I really wasn't ready for that.

The guy holding down the tenor sax chair on TG8 is a guy by the name of Karl Drevo. Dusko Gojkovich is on trumpet. I liked Drevo so much on this I went out and found a CD with him as the leader. I may own the only copy of this that exists.

You mean this one? Hard to get, but not impossible.

• 2 months later...

I’ll tell you one date that was a bit of a disappointment to me...

I recently borrowed a friend’s copy of the Moncur Select recently, and I was somewhat nonplussed by Jackie McLean’s “Hipnosis” session (which I was hearing for the very first time).

I guess it wasn't a 'bad' session, really, but I was somehow hoping for more from it. It is the only date from the Moncur Select that I didn't already have on CD, and I now have to admit that getting the Moncur set specifically for that “Hipnosis” session, is no longer as big a priority for me.

I'll probably get the set some day, eventually -- but if I didn’t, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I’ll tell you one date that was a bit of a disappointment to me...

I recently borrowed a friend’s copy of the Moncur Select recently, and I was somewhat nonplussed by Jackie McLean’s “Hipnosis” session (which I was hearing for the very first time).

I guess it wasn't a 'bad' session, really, but I was somehow hoping for more from it. It is the only date from the Moncur Select that I didn't already have on CD, and I now have to admit that getting the Moncur set specifically for that “Hipnosis” session, is no longer as big a priority for me.

I'll probably get the set some day, eventually -- but if I didn’t, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

You weren't even the least bit moved by the title track to that session? Oh, man...that song just floors me every time!!

You weren't even the least bit moved by the title track to the “Hipnosis” session? Oh, man...that song just floors me every time!!

I'm listening to that track right now (it's one of the sample tracks for this set, from the Mosaic site).

It's OK, and certainly not any worse than "OK". But that incessant line in the piano just goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on. I mean, I like a good groove as much as the next guy - but this one ain't winnin' me over in as big as way as I was expecting.

“Good”, maybe - but not “Great” in my book. (Just my own opinion, and there's lots of room for other opinions besides mine.)

My biggest letdowns are Andrew Hill's-Lift Every Voice and Donald Bird's A New Perspective. Would be great to have the music without the voices. I will probably be disappointed with the voice tracks on the Duke Pearson-Mosaic Select also, not to mention the "ten Christmas classics." These are sort of Blue Note reissues, aren't they? Sometimes the letdown is that some of this his being re-issued when musicians like Leo Parker are lost in the ozone.

I will probably be disappointed with the voice tracks on the Duke Pearson-Mosaic Select also, not to mention the "ten Christmas classics."

I wouldnt pre judge the christmas tracks too easily - I heard them for the first time when the box was issued & was surprised how good they were.

Wow, missed this thread back in October.. how???

Well, my two-penneth worth would be Herbie Hancock's My Point Of View.

I was looking forward to hearing this, mainly because i love most of his BN output.

Then you have the stellar line-up, and the original compositions -- at which Herbie is no muppet -- but... lifeless and unengaging. The ballady track is nice but the album is IMO frankly a bit of a bore.

Fortunately, this experience doesn't put me off snapping up old BN's whenever I see them.

cheers, tonym

My biggest letdowns are Andrew Hill's-Lift Every Voice and Donald Bird's A New Perspective. Would be great to have the music without the voices. I will probably be disappointed with the voice tracks on the Duke Pearson-Mosaic Select also, not to mention the "ten Christmas classics." These are sort of Blue Note reissues, aren't they? Sometimes the letdown is that some of this his being re-issued when musicians like Leo Parker are lost in the ozone.

A New Perspective was one of the first jazz CDs I ever bought, but I had already heard "Cristo Redentor" (it still blows me away) and knew what to expect regarding the voices. The playing is pretty incredible, but I certainly understand how the other stuff might be off-putting for some listeners.

My biggest let down has been with a Sonny Stitt two-fer I recently picked up ... "Goin' down slow." The strings on this seem so out of place ... I was expecting something way bluesier that more lived up to the disc's name.

Hey Chrome, GOIN' DOWN SLOW is on Prestige, not BN.

I'm not impressed with Donald Byrd BLACK BYRD. That synth sound is wack!

Grant Green AM I BLUE isn't all that great.

I didn't dig Herbie's MY POINT OF VIEW all that much either.

Funny thing though--I'll keep them all! Is this where that collector vs. listener thing comes in to play? :P

If I just think about my BNs, the only one that really stands out in a negative way is John Patton's Understanding. I was expecting a typically groovy outing from Big John, but the sax player he's matched with on this date (Hugh Alexander) doesn't do anything for me (except irritate me) in this context.

I'd have to say Blakey's "Meet You At The Jazz Corner of the World"- not because of the music, which is excellent, but the sound quality makes this one almost unlistenable, even on the RVG. I'm not sure why they bothered to re-release this one, especially since it is a more expensive 2-disc set.

Grant Green's Am I Blue. :tdown

When considering the players on this album, and when considering the other work they've done... this set of music offers little to be enjoyed. I mean, John Patton and Grant Green sounding dull and mechanical? How can this be?

The scariest thing, for me, is that this album nearly turned me away from Grant Green. I'd heard Idle Moments then purchased Am I Blue with great anticipation. After hearing Am I Blue, I decided (ignorantly) that Grant Green wasn't much of a player. Fortunately, I purchased the other Grant Green RVGs and have come to enjoy and admire Green's playing very much.