Artist

philtenb

This CD features over 50 minutes by the fiery trumpeter, Dupree Bolton. The music consists of a rare television appearance with the Curtis Amy sextet featuring Bolton, as well as studio takes from an unissued Pacific Jazz session. Bolton next shows up in Oklahoma as part of a prison band illustrating that he had not lost any of his flash despite the long years in prison. Dupree Bolton will always remain a true Fireball.

wonder whether the studio takes are the material from the mosaic or the session Anthoy Ortega mentioned in his interview with Steve Isoardi... or both? some board members might know more...?

FIREBALL

Description

This CD features over 50 minutes by the fiery trumpeter, Dupree Bolton. The music consists of a rare television appearance with the Curtis Amy sextet featuring Bolton, as well as studio takes from an unissued Pacific Jazz session. Bolton next shows up in Oklahoma as part of a prison band illustrating that he had not lost any of his flash despite the long years in prison. Dupree Bolton will always remain a true Fireball.

I would highly recommend the tracks from the TV appearance on Frankly Jazz, which was hosted by Frank Evans and apparently served as some sort of promotional arm of Pacific Jazz, as Dick Bock had a listing on the credits something like creative consultant.

Here are the details I have from my audio transfer of a VHS tape:

Frankly Jazz

Curtis Amy

Los Angeles, 1960s – 21 minutes

With Dupree Bolton, Dolo Coker, Ray Crawford, Victor Gaskin (bass) Ronnie Selico (drums)

1) Intro + Summertime

2) Katanga

3) Laura (DB feature)

4) Blues for Amy

5) Talk + Theme

What I find interesting is that the listing says it totals "over 50 minutes". How do they get there? Are there also tunes by the prison band? Is there PJ material outside of what has been issued to date? I don't think there's enough on the Onzy Matthews Select to add that much.

Anyway, I'm on this just to get the Curtis Amy material in good sound.

Wait a minute - the label is Uptown Jazz? Is this related to the same Uptown Records that Chuck helps distribute?

I tried searching on the Worlds site by "uptown" and it brought up a bunch of the Uptown releases you'd expect, but only a couple of "Uptown Jazz" releases. I hope Chuck has some info to share, though if he were involved in such a release I'm sure he'd have told us about it before.

In a precedent item (New Selects and singles up.... 4/1), Chuck Nessa says :

WELL, no need to spend all that money for these two Bolton/Anderza tracks. Uptown is going to issue a Dupree Bolton cd including these two tracks (licensed from EMI). It will be interesting to see which package hits the market first. I think MC might have thrown these on the Select after Uptown "flagged" 'em.

In a precedent item (New Selects and singles up.... 4/1), Chuck Nessa says :

WELL, no need to spend all that money for these two Bolton/Anderza tracks. Uptown is going to issue a Dupree Bolton cd including these two tracks (licensed from EMI). It will be interesting to see which package hits the market first. I think MC might have thrown these on the Select after Uptown "flagged" 'em.

Ah, now I remember. So Chuck needs to step in and explain what else is on this release. I think there must be tracks by the prison band in order to fill out 50 minutes, otherwise why would the description mention them?

Yes it's the Frankly Jazz performance I have - a European VHS from the series Kay Productions Presents Video Jazz numbered 038 KJ - it says "by arrangement with TCB catalogue" (whatever that means). Sound is okay. Having Ray Crawford in the band is an added treat.

Yes it's the Frankly Jazz performance I have - a European VHS from the series Kay Productions Presents Video Jazz numbered 038 KJ - it says "by arrangement with TCB catalogue" (whatever that means). Sound is okay. Having Ray Crawford in the band is an added treat.

I found this site that was set up by Frank Evans' son a while back. I asked him if they were going to offer any of his Dad's old shows. But nothing has ever been changed on the site, there is just the cool looking home page and nothing else. But I would think that as the heir, he'd have some rights to the material. Hopefully the sound on the CD will be closer to the original broadcast and not the VHS copies that we've heard.

• 6 months later...

Now at Dusty Groove.

Thanks - the last update I saw at Amazon had it as a January 20 release, guess its finally come out! I probably said this above but the music on the Frankly Jazz show is very nice, like a long lost, shorter than average Curtis Amy Pacific Jazz session, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it from a source better than the multi-generation VHS tape I have.

I'm just running through the Uptown Dupree Bolton for the first time right now. All I can say is "Wow"! With respect to the "Frankly Jazz" portion of the program, I love Frank Evans' pipes even though I'm sure I'll wish they hadn't included the intros to the tunes after I've listened a few times. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Malcolm Addey was part of the digital transfer team. No wonder all three sessions sound so good.

The usual overstuffed Uptown booklet is included with lots of pictures and other emphemera. It is, however, rather thick so another very minor complaint is my wishing that they'd provided more "room" for it other than just a single CD jewel box. It' a bit difficult to get in under the pegs and out.

I'd be interested if anyone else hears shades of "What's Goin' On" in the second cut from the prison session called John's Tune.

Anyhow, bottom line...this one is a keeper.

Up over and out.

Thanks for the report, Dave - so the Frankly Jazz tracks have good or even excellent sound? Because I was wondering what they'd have for source tape. Any acknowledgment of a Lance Evans in the booklet? I'd assume they got the source tape from him, he set up a website about his father but never took it any further than a home page.

And how would you describe the level of musicianship on the "prison" band cuts? Were all those guys solid players, or is it more worth it just for the rarely-recorded Bolton?

Bolton went to prison for drugs, and he was a junkie to the end - I, like a few others, heard him playing on the street in San Francisco, circa 1985. I talked to him a bit (I almost fell over when he said his name) - he didn't have much left in the way of chops, but one could hear that he had a sound - he told me Herb Wong was trying to help him out, but he never really got straightened out -

Thanks for the report, Dave - so the Frankly Jazz tracks have good or even excellent sound? Because I was wondering what they'd have for source tape. Any acknowledgment of a Lance Evans in the booklet? I'd assume they got the source tape from him, he set up a website about his father but never took it any further than a home page.

And how would you describe the level of musicianship on the "prison" band cuts? Were all those guys solid players, or is it more worth it just for the rarely-recorded Bolton?

Dan,

The sound on the "Frankly" session is excellent. Of the three distinct pieces on the set, I would rate this #1. The prison session would rank third, but not because of the sound or the musicianship, both of which are remarkably good. The tunes themselves are just OK. This set was recorded in 1980, so it has a bit more of a contemporary feel than I prefer. This is underscored by the annoying presence of a Fender Rhodes, an instrument I can easily live without in a jazz context. The second session is just two cuts done in the studio, so the sound is of - surprise, surprise - studio quality. Those two include Hadley Calliman on tenor.

Yes, Lance Evans is singled out in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits. Michael Cuscuna is also mentioned.

Up over and out.

allan lowe: that story isnt just a legend? its true? you really saw dupree bolton playing trumpet on the streets of san francisco? would you be so kind as to elaborate your story- did you just happen upon him, or were you seeking him out? where corner was he playing on? what was he playing? what else did he have to say.