George Carlin. R.I.P.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while other potheads were listening to zeppelin and pink floyd, my friends and i enjoyed carlin (and pryor, cosby, and the firesign theater) during our roundtable, uh, discussions. he was one of the true comic geniuses of our time, imo, and i wish i could have had the opportunity to thank him face-to-face. rest in peace, class clown.

burns_and_carlin.jpgGeorgeCarlin-th.jpgP11363HBX0E.jpg

carlin.jpggeorge_carlin.jpg

oh yeah - shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

In college, I did a whole analysis on George Carlin's contribution to the study and current use of language for a class called Contemporary American Public Speakers. Got an A on the paper, too.

The man had a definite understanding of words and his unique take on the whole concept of "Good" words vs. "Bad" words stays with me even today. His whole idea was that words are tools and that the values we arbitrarily place on them [that there are no good or bad words; just words] got me thinking in entirely new directions relative to word use.

I will miss his unique insight and profound influence on our language.

Rest in Peace, George.

george-carlin1.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Just my two cents:

I'll never understand how someone so angry, so bitter, so unrelentingly negative about damn-near everything could make people laugh. Seems to me that as he got older, the more bitter and caustic he got. Now, obviously, I disagreed with a lot of what he said, but that isn't what turned me off of him: it was the fact that instead of letting his audience in on the joke, he turned the audience INTO the joke, laughed at them instead of with them, and then laughed even harder when the audience paid a lot of money to hear his "major, psychotic hatreds."

Hell, if he knew there was a thread dedicated to his passing, he'd piss on that and the fans would just eat it up.

RIP? Only if you wanna, George.

If I offended anyone with this little rant, well.... in the spirit of Carlin, fuck you. I'm not here to make anyone comfortable, I'm not here to make anyone happy campers. and I certainly don't give a rats ass what you think.

Edited by Big Al

Just my two cents:

I'll never understand how someone so angry, so bitter, so unrelentingly negative about damn-near everything could make people laugh. Seems to me that as he got older, the more bitter and caustic he got. Now, obviously, I disagreed with a lot of what he said, but that isn't what turned me off of him: it was the fact that instead of letting his audience in on the joke, he turned the audience INTO the joke, laughed at them instead of with them, and then laughed even harder when the audience paid a lot of money to hear his "major, psychotic hatreds."

Hell, if he knew there was a thread dedicated to his passing, he'd piss on that and the fans would just eat it up.

If I offended anyone with this little rant, well.... in the spirit of Carlin, fuck you. I'm not here to make anyone comfortable, I'm not here to make anyone happy campers. and I certainly don't give a rats ass what you think.

All comics are angry to some degree or another, Al.

And I disagree he was laughing at his audience. He was laughing at the foibles of all people. That is something all comics have done dating back to before Lenny Bruce.

Any joke has a serious side to it.

Al, I've felt that Carlin did get a little too caustic and bitter and psychotic towards the end, too, which is partly why I most preferred his always funny and spot-on riffs on language over his psychotic hatreds toward people. That is the Carlin I'll remember.

And I never got the sense that he was laughing at his audience or in any sense making suckers out of them. His audience loved his rants, just like some people loved the Andrew Dice Clay character.

A Chicago drummer I knew named Guy Viverose was working in the house band (that also included Ira Sullivan) in a night club where Lenny Bruce was appearing. One night the CPD came in and busted Lenny for obscenities and even the band got busted because the CPD found marijuana in the dressing room. Guy told me he ended up in the backseat of a squad car with both Lenny Bruce and George Carlin. Carlin was hangin' out in the dressing room and was also arrested by the CPD for possesion of marijuana. He said it was the craziest ride he'd ever had sitting between these two comic geniuses, and both of them were crackin' up the cops in the front seat..

Gonna miss George Carlin..

Just my two cents:

After trying to watch some of his later HBO specials I sort of feel the same way. I think he started to take himself too damn seriously and stopped being funny in order to play the role of some kind of "courageous" truth teller. Most self-conscience truth tellers are usually bores as are the people who cheer them on.

I found Carlin's most recent routine wasn't nearly as funny as his older stuff, but it's rare that talented people continue to improve with age as opposed to trailing off a bit. There were also times when Carlin would say things which were more "over the top" than truthful, and I didn't find those moments as funny as ones when he was simply pointing things out.

Richard Pryor was a close second.