Roy (Eldridge) Runs Low

First heard some of this material on a mid-80s Verve cassette called, iirc, "Dale's Wail." It was one of those transcendant jazz listening experiences for me, and I wore out that tape before my roommate at the time borrowed it forever.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First heard some of this material on a mid-80s Verve cassette called, iirc, "Dale's Wail." It was one of those transcendant jazz listening experiences for me, and I wore out that tape before my roommate at the time borrowed it forever.

I have that on vinyl and always liked it a lot. It's the reason I would get the Mosaic box.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just placing an order from the 15% off sale and noticed that this is on Last Chance now too so I had to add it.

What else did you buy? (It's cheaper to live vicariously through other people's orders. :))

In addition to the Eldridge, I picked up the Teagarden set based on the reviews here and the Bix/Trumbauer/Teagarden which I've had my eyes on for a few years now. I probably would've just added them to my cart without clicking the "Order" button because that's usually what I do when I'm tempted but when I saw the Roy Eldridge in Last Chance that was the final motivation I needed. And I picked up the Tal Farlow a couple years ago in the Zweitausendeins sale or else I would've certainly got that instead of one of the others. I'd actually not heard him prior to my order at the time but that set turned out to be one of my top 3-4 favorites.

Just received my set a few minutes ago and am now spinning disc 1. Very good so far!

Damn, this just keeps getting better and better. Haven't listed to much Eldridge in a while and forgot how much I really dig his tone. This is soon on its way to becoming one of my favorite Mosaic sets!