David Liebman's Pendulum Select

I pre-ordered this, and received my copy yesterday. I have just finished listening to all 3 discs for the second time! This is burning, wonderful music. I have no better way to decribe it than Mosaic does on their website:

Fueled by Al Foster's unrelenting fire, Liebman, Brecker and Beirach take chorus after brilliant chorus. This might be the finest example of what an extraordinary improvising artist Randy Becker is; few recordings capture him at this level.

This is hard-hitting modern jazz performed by musicians who grew up on hard bop and informed it with the later innovations of John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

I wholeheartedly agree with what's said above. Liebman and Beirach are great, of course. But it's the playing of Foster and Brecker in this context that is the real revelation for me. This set may turn out to be one of the real gems of the Select series. The others for me are the Bechet, the Hill group, the Tolliver and the Liebman/Beirach.

I have the Liebman/Beirach Select.

How's that one? I'm not quite sure if I need to get it... but as I decided to buy them by number/release date, it will be a while before I'll have to decide...

I like it alot, maybe just a little less than Pendulum. It consists of all live material in 3 different settings: Lookout Farm, Liebman/Beirach duo and Quest. IMHO, it's worth it just for the variety alone.

I received Pendulum yesterday and listened to the whole thing...and again today. I like this Pendulum much better than the Liebman/Beirach select (#12). I brought it to work today too to give it another spin.

Pendulum, while intense, is more inside than the Liebman/Beirach Select. Heck, disc 3 of Pendulum has Blue Bossa, Well You Needn't, and Impressions. Good stuff.

Funny thing - after listening to Pendulum that last couple of days I have found the Liebman/Beirach (MS-012) to be more accessbile. It's hard to believe that was 20 Select sets ago.

Are you still rating the Pendulum set more highly than 012? I listened to the samples from both sets on the website and found the music from the earlier set more interesting. The Pendulum music sounded good but three CD's of it might be a bit more than I need.

I look forward to listening to the Pendulum samples, though I agree it might be something I could stand to have in the single-LP form. Are the additional tracks better than those issued on the Artist's House LP (which I don't own)?

Somehow I'm more intrigued by the full-band live set. Lookout Farm never impressed me too much, though I can't explain why.

Are you still rating the Pendulum set more highly than 012? I listened to the samples from both sets on the website and found the music from the earlier set more interesting. The Pendulum music sounded good but three CD's of it might be a bit more than I need.

Yes, for me Pendulum is the more enjoyable of the two. When I got MS-012 I listened to it for a bit and at the time it was just a bit too loose for my taste. But I've bought a lot of music since then (like the aforementioned 20 selects). In that time my tolerance for more outside material has increased so I have definitely revised my rating of MS-012 based on MS-032.

Ah well, seems like eventually I need both... I decided to buy the Selects by the numbers, but there are a few where I'm not sure (for instance the Chambers I'd buy only to have the two sessions with Trane - other than "Whims" - on CD, instead of only on the brown 2LP set... and I think the Chambers would be next in the list now).

A few days ago a neighbour came over to ask if I had anything by Liebman and I went through my boots list... culled about a dozen of sessions, from the 70s to last year... some of is is fascinating, for instance a marvellous Quest live show from Paris in 2006 (I think some of it may be on that hatOLOGY disc, but I have at least two hours... some magic moments, for instance on Ornette's "Lonely Woman").

(...)

Yes indeed, just checked - and both "Lonely Woman" as well as the great take on "Redemption Song" are on that CD - highly recommended, thus!

642b.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just got "Pendulum" a few days ago and I'm loving it. They were young, bristling with chops and energy, and just jamming, full speed ahead. They're cooking. Great stuff. The only reservation I might have is with the bass solos--they really massacred bass amplification in those days, sounds awful.

The photographs are hilarious. God, the seventies. Bell bottoms, aviator glasses, tight shirts showing hairy chests, medallions. Can't tell if anyone was wearing platform shoes but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm looking forward to getting this set.. but I can't stand Al Foster... Way OVERRATED....

I think Al plays great on this set- his solo on Footprints (for one) is excellent IMHO, and he plays over the form of the tune, which I always appreciate on drum solos.

Over the years I've enjoyed his playing in a variety on contexts. What about him don't you like? (just curious)

When I saw him with McCoy a few times.. he didn't play that much and was excessively amused at himself... (and McCoy gave him too much space for bad solos...)

I'm looking forward to getting this set.. but I can't stand Al Foster... Way OVERRATED....

I think Al plays great on this set- his solo on Footprints (for one) is excellent IMHO, and he plays over the form of the tune, which I always appreciate on drum solos.

Over the years I've enjoyed his playing in a variety on contexts. What about him don't you like? (just curious)

• 1 year later...

Just picked this set up from Mosaic with no prior exposure to the music or reviews thereof.

Anyone ever walk into a club, not know anyone or be familiar with the band who was playing and get totally blown away? And even though you figured you'd stop in for a beer or at most 1 set then and felt like even though you had to work in the morning that the music you were hearing was so excellent that you didn't want to leave - so you stayed for the second set and ended up getting home at like 2 in the morning? And after you left you said to yourself - "Wow!" or "I need to hear more live jazz?" Well, I put this set on, and that's the feeling I got. The music seemed so vibrant and alive - I just couldn't turn it off. While I know these guys individually to some extent, this set made me feel like I'd discovered something new.

Have not looked at the photos yet - but the music is outstanding. Highly recommended.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I'd visited a jazz-loving friend six months or so ago and borrowed this for a night in my hotel. I'd been a bit biased going in, I s'pose. Frank Tusa was a regular musical contact of mine, back in my Bay Area days. I really liked the set and put it on my short list for purchase, once I settle down and start buying again. What a lively group.