Happy 4th of July

The flag-waving crowd (mostly ignorant of our country's history) tends to go overboard with their purely visual passion, but this day has most lt become a tool for merchants. I see very little genuine celebration, at least in New York.

Thanks, anyway, Goren.

BTW, I believe Denmark was (is?) the only country to actually have a public celebration of America's independence.

Let's celebrate by invading another country!

Nah.

We already did that one.

I know! Let's elect a pinhead for president then send him around the world to insult other countries and alienate America from everyone! No, wait...we did that one too, huh. Shit.

I hear they have a July 4th in other countries, too. Along with a July, 5th, July 6th, July 7th.....

Edited by GoodSpeak

What not a lot of people don't know is that the event many of us THINK we're celebrating (the signing if the Declaration of Independence) didn't actually happen until August 2, 1776.

The document (written by Jefferson, but containing 47 revisions and alterations by Adams, Franklin, and other committe members) was presented to the Continental Congress on June 28, 1776. Congress voted for independence from Great Britain on July 2, before making another 39 revisions to the Declaration. It was finally adopted on the morning of July 4th (not quite the earth shaking event we've come to think it was) and sent to the printer (John Dunlop). Only July 5th, John Hancock began distributiing copies of the Declaration to political and military leaders, including one sent to George Washington on July 9th (this copy is on display on Mt. Vernon). On July 19th, Congress ordered the production of an engrossed (officially inscribed) copy, which members of Congress (including some who had voted against its adoption) began signing on August 2nd.

The flag-waving crowd (mostly ignorant of our country's history) tends to go overboard with their purely visual passion, but this day has most lt become a tool for merchants. I see very little genuine celebration, at least in New York.

Thanks, anyway, Goren.

BTW, I believe Denmark was (is?) the only country to actually have a public celebration of America's independence.

Maybe you just need to travel a little beyond the upper west side. ;)

I know what you're saying, but the traditional celebration in this country has always centered around fireworks displays, parades, concerts, and barbecues.

Has it really ever been more than that?

I mean what is so bad about having a party big or small in honor of the ADOPTION of the Declaration of Independence?

You will also be glad to know, the celebration in Denmark also lives on...

Rebild Festival

Those national birthday are basically an excuse for merchants to sell a bunch of crap that nobody uses except the said day, in a cosmpolitan city like Montreal you can make a fine racket by selling crap for every existing country or region.

Anyway, for those who genuinely care about this day, i wish you all a great time and celebrate like you've never celebrated before, have a great day. For my part going to watch tonight Angela Desveaux Joseph Arthur and afterwards Taj Mahal and Keb Mo, nice way to acknowledge the american influence on my culture.

What not a lot of people don't know is that the event many of us THINK we're celebrating (the signing if the Declaration of Independence) didn't actually happen until August 2, 1776.

The document (written by Jefferson, but containing 47 revisions and alterations by Adams, Franklin, and other committe members) was presented to the Continental Congress on June 28, 1776. Congress voted for independence from Great Britain on July 2, before making another 39 revisions to the Declaration. It was finally adopted on the morning of July 4th (not quite the earth shaking event we've come to think it was) and sent to the printer (John Dunlop). Only July 5th, John Hancock began distributiing copies of the Declaration to political and military leaders, including one sent to George Washington on July 9th (this copy is on display on Mt. Vernon). On July 19th, Congress ordered the production of an engrossed (officially inscribed) copy, which members of Congress (including some who had voted against its adoption) began signing on August 2nd.

You mean that 1776 wasn't historically accurate? You mean the following exchange appears nowhere in the Congressional Record?

I say vote YES!

Sit down, John!

I say vote YES!

Sit down, John!

Vote for independency!

Oh well - I'm still going to enjoy our holiday tradition later tonight - and I'll get a little verklempt during "Mamma Look Sharp" and I'll laugh at this:

Adams:

Mr. Livingston, maybe you should write it

You have many friends and you're a diplomat

Franklin:

Oh, that word!

Adams:

Whereas if I'm the one to do it

They'll run their quill pens through it

Others:

He's obnoxious and disliked; did you know that?

Livingston:

I hadn't heard

The USA's celebration is three days later than Canada's, on July 1. My friend Tom Williams (a Torontonian) is living in Laguna Beach, California, running a little office supply/internet depot. Still a proud Canadian, he put out some Canada Day specials on the 1st....

He writes:

My customers as usual are not too up on Canada and why I would wish them Happy Canada Day.

"What would Canada be celebrating?"

Becoming a country.

"What were you before?"

A colony.

"Whose colony?"

Britain

"Really?"

Yes.

"Who did you fight?"

No one.

"Then how did you become a country??"

We asked.

That's an interesting organization, and an attractive website. But I found an error, and had to send them the following note...

I was perusing your interesting website, and found an error you will wish to correct.

On the Rebild Hills page, you say "On July 4, 2003 a bust of US President William Howard Taft was unveiled. Taft was in 1812 named Rebild's first honorary president."

Given that Taft was born in 1857, surely it was in 1912, not 1812 that he was named as honorary president.

Let's see if they correct it...

If the US didn't exist, Thormod Anton Nessa (parents from Norway) would not have met Nina Tanahill (parents from Ireland) and "Indian Charlie" Tandy (English/Cherokee combo) would not have met Isabel Manion (English, I think) and my parents would not have been born. For that alone, I am grateful.

YMMV.

On July 19th, Congress ordered the production of an engrossed (officially inscribed) copy, which members of Congress (including some who had voted against its adoption) began signing on August 2nd.

Probably Jesse Helms and his fascist republican bigot buddies.

If memory serves, that was when the actual declaration was made...the document, as you so correctly pointed out] was drafted then signed much later.

If you can believe the astronomers relative to the position of the "Guiding Light/Star" Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, either.

No big. We Americans have gotten it wrong before.