Sonny Rollins - Night at the Vanguard

AmirBagachelles

My stalwart '87 CD editions vol. 1 & 2 are not too shrill on Sonny's horn, though pretty lifeless on the rhythm section. Headphone listening reveals what a horn-only affair this recording was meant to be... So my guess is that the various remasterings over the past fifteen years (U.S. and Japan) have not provided much improvement in dynamics and clarity, but perhaps warmed up Sonny's tone a bit. Is that right? Thanks, Dan

Cliff, thanks for posting that cover! Who's the person on the sofa?

The RVG, besides having better sound, also adds some stage banter (kinda interesting) that the original version doesn't contain.

I've also wondered about the LaRoca material, and if there was more.

Cliff, thanks for posting that cover! Who's the person on the sofa?

The RVG, besides having better sound, also adds some stage banter (kinda interesting) that the original version doesn't contain.

I've also wondered about the LaRoca material, and if there was more.

Yes there are some good photo's of Sonny, Wilbur Ware and Elvin at the V.V. and a great one of Rudy and Al Lion at the gig in front of that huge, mad looking recording console. Also a few from the "Newk's Time" session, as Late mentioned. I hadn't seen most of the photos before though. The banter before "Woody 'N You" and "Old Devil Moon" is pretty cool. He was and indeed still is, such a hipster.