Eric Dolphy & Booker Little

Late

Well, it'll be only a few years until the date is past the 50-year limit & the Andorran folks will jump on it.... so not too long to wait for a set.

Not if the European limit is extended to 95 years as proposed by the European Commission.

Read in the paper the other day that they compromised: the limit was extended to 70 years and voted.

This means that the Trésors du Jazz series of 10-cd boxes per year is now over. They got up to 1957.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have all the material on the box set, and won't get apoplectic about this ommission. I expect I'm not alone.

The RVGs are the best mastering I've heard of the material, period, and it's how I'll listen to the session here forward most likely.

Vol. 2 is coming out as an RVG June 2.

LMAO! Well, they certainly shouldn't complain about low sales numbers. <_<

To re-release an album with a playtime of just over 37 minutes when there

is so much material available that they could add to it is really laughable.

The entirety of the "Memorial Album" is added to the RVG of "Volume 2", as bonus tracks.

Well, that's at least something.

Now they just have to re-reissue Vol. 1 with those remaining two tracks. :lol:

Looked it up at CD Universe.

RVG Volume 1

Fire Waltz

Bee Vamp

The Prophet

Bee Vamp (alternate take)

RVG Volume 2

Agression

Like Someone In Love

Number Eight (Potsa Lotsa)

Booker's Waltz

So 'Status Seeking' and 'God Bless The Child' are missing. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Bertrand.

were these missing tracks on previous cd or lp issues of Five Spot releases? I don't have my copies in front of me but I don't remember these tunes being in the repertoire.

Received the Vol. 2 RVG today and I'm sorry to say Concord really screwed this up. In addition to not including the two other tracks from the session on Vol. 1, Vol. 2 has much lower volume!

This makes it frustrating to play both volumes back to back because you have to rush to turn the volume up or down, depending upon which volume is played first, sheesh! Who's in charge of quality control on these reissues?!!!

Thanks for the warning, Cali, I'll stay away.

Bertrand.

Freakin' no-brainer to just put the 3 LP's and the 'Here and There' tracks into a 2CD set 'Eric Dolphy Complete Live at the Five Spot', as was mentioned at the very beginning of this topic many moons ago. Instead we get this, and probably a 34-minute 'Eric Dolphy Plays Flute for Lovers' next year at Valentines Day,while the Andorrans will no doubt do it right in 2011 (and will do another right 2CD set of the 'In Europe' LP's). This stuff ain't rocket science, amazed they refuse to get it right. Fantasy was doing really nice work along these lines when they sold to Concord, the Red Garland at the Prelude set, the Monk/Trane set, the Evans Vanguard set, the Miles Quintet set, the Trane boxes, etc. I had really hoped Concord would just keep on that path, as they did release some of those initally, but they went to the Dark Side. BTW, "Status Seeking" was always my favorite cut from the Five Spot recordings.

Thanks for the warning, Cali, I'll stay away.

Bertrand.

Freakin' no-brainer to just put the 3 LP's and the 'Here and There' tracks into a 2CD set 'Eric Dolphy Complete Live at the Five Spot', as was mentioned at the very beginning of this topic many moons ago. Instead we get this, and probably a 34-minute 'Eric Dolphy Plays Flute for Lovers' next year at Valentines Day,while the Andorrans will no doubt do it right in 2011 (and will do another right 2CD set of the 'In Europe' LP's). This stuff ain't rocket science, amazed they refuse to get it right. Fantasy was doing really nice work along these lines when they sold to Concord, the Red Garland at the Prelude set, the Monk/Trane set, the Evans Vanguard set, the Miles Quintet set, the Trane boxes, etc. I had really hoped Concord would just keep on that path, as they did release some of those initally, but they went to the Dark Side. BTW, "Status Seeking" was always my favorite cut from the Five Spot recordings.

What they said. :tophat: :tophat: :tophat:

Whine whine whine. If these were put out by the Japanese it would be three cds like this and half of you would pay big dollars for them.

I jsut got Vol. 2 in and will listen to it this weekend. The RVG series obviusly makes money, that's why these are done. . . In the situationa now and ahead we're going to see more and more "sure fire" relases, or what Concord or EMI or Verve thinks are sure fire things, and less and less "risky" releases.

I like the RVGs and I get them, I'd rather have these than a box with Tarantino mastering. Don't get them if these bother you. Get the Dolphy box and you'll have it all in one place. Sounds pretty good there too.

Edited by jazzbo

Whine whine whine. If these were put out by the Japanese it would be three cds like this and half of you would pay big dollars for them.

I jsut got Vol. 2 in and will listen to it this weekend. The RVG series obviusly makes money, that's why these are done. . . In the situationa now and ahead we're going to see more and more "sure fire" relases, or what Concord or EMI or Verve thinks are sure fire things, and less and less "risky" releases.

I like the RVGs and I get them, I'd rather have these than a box with Tarantino mastering. Don't get them if these bother you. Get the Dolphy box and you'll have it all in one place. Sounds pretty good there too.

I have to say, I don't think anyone was whineing, just expressing their opinions and disappointment with this release and the way things are going at Concord. Also, perhaps you're not the most objective reviewer, as I would guess a good 10% to 15% of all your posts are along the lines of "I got the new re-issue of this release and it sounds much better on my system".

Maybe instead of "Don't get them if these bother you.", it should be "Unless you only want to read about pure, unadulterated love for every domestic re-issue, stay out of the "Re-issues" threads???

BTW, how are things going on the RVG Street Team???

Gee, I see you're winning personality is just busting all over again now. Yes, you ARE the new Allen!

It sounded like whining to me dude, what can I say. Aceept that that's how it comes off to some. And frankly it wasn't your piggybacking "Yup me too" I was referring to.

I know I buy a lot and I know I support the new reissues . . . I have a feeling that may help theml keep coming our way. I have the money and the time, I'm retired with about three times my former annual salary in the bank. I've been upgrading my stereo and really enjoying my discs and new upgrades (SACD really shines, I wish there were more SACDs. . . )

I don't mind if you decide to make me the next target of your little hostility campaign, but it sure looks like pretty silly behavior. Grow up a little and quitshoving in the hallways.

With these new two cds you get three Prestige lps as they were released. That's pretty okay by me, seems good value. By the way, I listened to Vol. 2 RVG and compared it to the box set version and the RVG sounds really really good. All the Dolphy RVGs sound better to me than the box set versions, so if they keep coming I can hold onto the RVGs and get rid of the box set. I find that interteresting and something to look forward to.

Edited by jazzbo

Gee, I see you're winning personality is just busting all over again now. Yes, you ARE the new Allen!

It sounded like whining to me dude, what can I say. Aceept that that's how it comes off to some. And frankly it wasn't your piggybacking "Yup me too" I was referring to.

I know I buy a lot and I know I support the new reissues . . . I have a feeling that may help theml keep coming our way. I have the money and the time, I'm retired with about three times my former annual salary in the bank. I've been upgrading my stereo and really enjoying my discs and new upgrades (SACD really shines, I wish there were more SACDs. . . )

I don't mind if you decide to make me the next target of your little hostility campaign, but it sure looks like pretty silly behavior. Grow up a little and quite shoving in the hallways.

With these new two cds you get three Prestige lps as they were released. That's pretty okay by me, seems good value. By the way, I listened to Vol. 2 RVG and compared it to the box set version and the RVG sounds really really good. All the Dolphy RVGs sound better to me than the box set versions, so if they keep coming I can hold onto the RVGs and get rid of the box set. I find that interteresting and something to look forward to.

Gee, I see your pompous and pretentious personality is where it always was and judging by how overly sensitive you are to someone disagreeing with you, I'd say yes, you ARE the new Allen!

Sorry to disappoint, but there never was a "hostility campaign", little or large. I've been grown up for quite some time and I have never shoved anyone in a hall, even in school. And calling someone dude is a bit, well, ye know.

:)

Ah you'e quite entertaining dude!

Okay, I guess I'll just continue on my pompous and pretentious way and you can continue on whatever you want to describe your hostile way, trying to dictate how others post.

I'll just hug the hallway when you pass by.

1 - Indeed I have the Dolphy box, and that will likely end up being what I have when I go to the grave.

2 - But I like to whine at Concord, it's therapeutic for me and they are deserving targets of the whining.

3 - As far as the Japanese CD's, I'm way in the other half there, never buy the things if the music is available otherwise.

4 - Good for my budget if all we see is "sure fire" reissues. If there isn't sufficient value added, I'm not buying them. I managed to pass on all three of the 2008 Kind of Blue packages.

1 - Indeed I have the Dolphy box, and that will likely end up being what I have when I go to the grave.

2 - But I like to whine at Concord, it's therapeutic for me and they are deserving targets of the whining.

3 - As far as the Japanese CD's, I'm way in the other half there, never buy the things if the music is available otherwise.

4 - Good for my budget if all we see is "sure fire" reissues. If there isn't sufficient value added, I'm not buying them. I managed to pass on all three of the 2008 Kind of Blue packages.

I totally understand your position. That was mine not too long ago. It's only disposable income, now, not forever, that has allowed me to play around this way.

I admit I should have had a smiley there about the whining and the whole post. It was just an ommission in a hurry.

I just don't expect Concord or the others to be any different than they are doing. Cuscuna thinks the same way to an extent. There are titles that rightly or wrongly (and it's likely both, right?) are going to sell consistently better than others, over and over. Their business model is to keep putting these out again for a new crop of buyers and some old. In my opinion Concord is doing a good job with the RVG series in that sonically they're my cup of tea and all the releases have been ones I've been tempted to buy and I've bought them. Then the collector's thing kicks in and I've had the money and decided to get the whole series and last year bought all the ones I hadn't already. And I've exposed a few new persons to these classic titles by passing along my old copies and have had a few nice jazz conversations as a result.

It's not ideal. I'd probably like Concord, and EMI and Sony and others to have a very different reissue program than they do. I'd be very surprised to see a change though. . . I think iike it or not the next big change in reissues may very well be. . . downloads of material not on cd currently. Not what I want but it won't surprise me to see that develop.

Edited by jazzbo

Yup, gorgeous day for a walk in Valley Forge Park (King of Prussia is right on it's eastern border) or strolling around downtown Philly (20 minutes to the east of us). And for rainy days we have King of Prussia mall, which recently was (may still be, I don't know), the biggest shopping mall in the USA in terms of number of stores (over 400). The mall and Lockheed-Martin pay almost all of our property taxes for us, so we have outstanding schools and municipal services, and very low taxes. King of Prussia contains the busiest traffic corridor in the state of Pennsylvania, where the Schuykill Expressway (which goes into Philly), the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Route 202 (contains the suburban Philly high-tech corridor goes through the major western suburbs and down into Wilmington, Delaware), and Route 476. the notorious Blue Route (goes from the northwestern suburbs to I-95 south of the airport, creating bypass of the city for traveling north-south from the suburbs to Baltimore, Washington DC and other points in the mid-Atlantic corridor) all converge. A lovely place to raise a family, as long as you don't mind traffic and don't expect to be able to see stars in the sky at night (too many lights). Philadelphia's charming Main Line area, with it's fine, unaffordable universities and huge, unaffordable houses, is just a few minutes away, as is the more gritty existence of Bridgeport and Norristown (just across the Schuykill River). And we have real Philly-style cheese steaks, which alone is reason enough to live here!