Explain the John Patton Select

I was wondering if someone could explain the John Patton Mosaic Select box. From what I can tell, the set includes his first, third, and fourth blue note albums, and then skips a few years to include a couple of 1968 sessions. Why is "Blue John" (his second album) not included? And why the two sessions from 1968 (which are separated by another 68 session that isn't included)?

Also, if anyone has any general thoughts about the box, I'd be glad to hear them. At the moment I can't decide whether or not to pick this up. Thanks.

I was wondering if someone could explain the John Patton Mosaic Select box. From what I can tell, the set includes his first, third, and fourth blue note albums, and then skips a few years to include a couple of 1968 sessions. Why is "Blue John" (his second album) not included? And why the two sessions from 1968 (which are separated by another 68 session that isn't included)?

Why don't you ask Mosaic?

Edited by J.A.W.

The philosophy behind the set was to make the first 3 official John Patton albums available Along Came John, The Way I Feel, Oh Baby (Blue John was not released at the time, thus not "official"). The next two albums he did were Let Em Roll and Got A Good Thing Going. They didn't have horns and had a different flavor because of it...so then Mosaic included his last two official releases....That Certain Feeling and Understanding, both had horns and seemed like a good choice.

Kind of a convoluted reasoning, but Mosaic wanted to put out a select of Patton's stuff and that's how they rationalized it. Personally, I wanted a full on Complete Blue Note Recordings of John Patton...but that didn't happen. I'm glad they did a Select...mainly because That Certain Feeling, perhaps his finest recording was finally released on CD for the first time anywhere, even Japan (which boggles the mind).

Thanks Soul Stream. I don't think I realized that Blue John wasn't released at the time . . . although the focus on official releases seems a bit out of character for Mosaic. It's too bad they couldn't do a complete Blue Note set.

Does anyone have any general comments on the set? The only album I have that's included is Along Came John.

I definately would get it if all you have is Along Came John. These are essential John Patton albums that previous were really, really tough to find. It took me a couple of years before I heard Oh Baby! and That's The Way I Feel...not to mention the rest. Those are some of my favorite albums of all time by ANY jazz musician. So for 40 bucks or so...make the plunge for sure.

the one thing i really don't get about the select is the inclusion of along came john... wasn't that easily available at the time the select came out (as it is now)? if they'd put in the first session from accent on the blues, instead of along came john, for instance, the select would have been everything that came out back in the day minus what was easily available on single cds (= along came john, got a good thing going and let em roll...)

another inclusion that would have made more sense imho would have been harold vick's steppin out instead of along came john for instance...

Sequentially it doesn't make a lot of sense, but this is my favourite Mosaic Select. The two albums from '68 in particular are fabulous and should be heard by all AMG reviewers who think Patton is just another Jimmy Smith clone.

I wish Mosaic would do another Patton Select, but since MC wasn't too excited by Blue John in the liner notes, that likely won't happen.

the one thing i really don't get about the select is the inclusion of along came john... wasn't that easily available at the time the select came out (as it is now)? if they'd put in the first session from accent on the blues, instead of along came john, for instance, the select would have been everything that came out back in the day minus what was easily available on single cds (= along came john, got a good thing going and let em roll...)

another inclusion that would have made more sense imho would have been harold vick's steppin out instead of along came john for instance...

It's funny you mention that. They did have a discussion as to whether or not to include Vick's "Steppin' Out" at some point which is my recollection. Of course, if w/horns was the premise, and sideman dates were to be included...Grant Green's "Am I Blue" would've been a wonderful inclusion also.

its a great set. "Oh Baby" is a terrific album, that Patton-Green-Dixon rhythm section is second to none. Actually, Green and Dixon are one of my fav. organ rhythm sections of all time behind Benson and Dukes and McFadden and Bailey

Indeed it is and contains one of the best tunes by anyone ever, "Night Flight". Sooo grooooooooovy :cool::cool::cool:

This box is really a fantastic way to get some great music that is pretty hard to find otherwise. :tup:tup:tup

got the select this morning and played the three albums i didn't own yet (the way i feel, oh baby, that certain feeling) twice, the others once... along came john i still don't quite get but the other two of the early albums i liked a lot better, especially the way i feel, love the front line of richard williams and fred jackson... understanding sounds as good as ever but for me the real surprise in this set was that certain feeling... much more open than i would have expected... or whatever

[the message: get the select, you won't find that certain feeling elsewhere on cd and the price you'd mostly have to pay for the way i feel or oh baby is really high compared to the price of the select...]