Logical RVG Candidates for Early 1950's

Brad

In the hope of getting out some worthy recordings that need to see the light of day (instead of or in addition to some of the post-1965 material that's been suggested), I offer the following: (after all there was jazz before 1960 :rolleyes:)

Dizzie Gillespie - Horn of Plenty

Lou Donaldson - Quartet/Quintet/Sextet, part of the New Faces, New Sounds series - this one is is need of remastering.

Wynton Kelly - Piano Interpretations, part of the New Faces, New Sounds series - this one is also in need of remastering.

Wade Legge Trio - New Faces, New Sounds

Sal Salvador Quintet - I have this in JRVG and this needs to come out in the U.S.

Lionel Hampton - Jazztime Paris

Best from the West - Modern Sounds from California, Vol. 1 and 2 - Any music from Herb Geller, Conte Candoli and Stan Levey should be RVGed.

Edited by Brad

Wade Legge Trio - New Faces, New Sounds

Best from the West - Modern Sounds from California, Vol. 1 and 2 - Any music from Herb Geller, Conte Candoli and Stan Levey should be RVGed.

That's some nice music. A bit short though....something like 25 minutes on the Jap. Vogue. How about a Kelly/Legge 2-fer? Not likely. ^_^

Another call for the Wade Legge session.

But I doubt that BN still has access to these French Vogue date (same goes for the Lionel Hampton sessions that BN released under their exchange agreement with Vogue at the time). At least Vogue/BMG reissued the Hampton 1953 Paris sessions several years ago but they ignored the Legge date.

Would also like to see the BN 1953 Urbie Green sextet date (with trumpet player Doug Mettome) RVGed.

I'd like to see Art Hodes material RVG'd. Very much!

We won't see the Legge or the Dizzy; they were leased material that EMI won't be leasing now.

Hellyeah! As I missed many earlier Mosaics (due to my youth and ignorance), I don't have any of the Blue Note hot jazz sets. Only have those CDs that came out for the 60th anniversary of Blue Note and the 4CD box.

So naturally, I'd love to see nice reissues (but this might be a job rather for Mr. Addey than RVG?) of at least some of this music. Also some more of the swingtet kind of stuff would not make me mad at all...

Then, how about a Complete Blue Note New Faces New Sounds Mosaic? I would sure buy it!

ubu

Then, how about a Complete Blue Note New Faces New Sounds Mosaic? I would sure buy it!

YEAH!!! :tup

I wonder why Blue Note didn’t release Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers as an RVG along with the Trio album? I would’ve thought there’d be more demand for that one.

I know these are more mid-fifties, but I'd love to see some RVG's of Thad Jones or some of the early Lee Morgan dates, especially since both the Mosaic sets are out of print.

I have a question. I was looking at some BN discographies online last night and there were some T-Bone Walker sessions mentioned from around '53. Were those Aladdin or Imperial Sessions? I didn't BN did any blues!?! Just curious.

... and as long as we're dreaming, how about:

These two together:

blue%20%20012_thumb.jpgblue%20%20013_thumb.jpg

And these two together:

blue%20005_thumb.jpgblue%20%20006_thumb.jpg

And these four together:

blue%20%20028_thumb.jpgblue029_thumb.jpg

blue%20011_thumb.jpgblue%20014_thumb.jpg

I know that a number of tracks from some of these albums have already been released on other various reissues, but having them all together, and with the original cover art, might potentially draw in new listeners. I think Rudy would do a fine job remastering them, too.

... and as long as we're dreaming, how about:

These two together:

blue%20%20012_thumb.jpgblue%20%20013_thumb.jpg

And these two together:

blue%20005_thumb.jpgblue%20%20006_thumb.jpg

And these four together:

blue%20%20028_thumb.jpgblue029_thumb.jpg

blue%20011_thumb.jpgblue%20014_thumb.jpg

I know that a number of tracks from some of these albums have already been released on other various reissues, but having them all together, and with the original cover art, might potentially draw in new listeners. I think Rudy would do a fine job remastering them, too.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

GREAT SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE release these, Blue Note!

:rsmile:

No T-Bone was on Blue Note to my knowledge; If it was 1952 it was probably Imperial sides.

I'm a huge T-Bone fan. EMI/Capitol put out a fantastic two cd set that is still available of the Imperial recordings, which is still around and cheap, and a three cd set of the Black and White recordings (my favorite!) that is not easy to find and out of print. These form the bulk of the Mosaic set that was issued; this set also contained a few alternates and other tracks that were on a Capitol set of Texas guitar slingers. . . .

I'm all in favor of RVGs of the early hot jazz and boogie woogie sides. . . I know they'll sound fantastic (witness the early Monk and Fats and Bud sides!) but. . .I don't expect to see them. I would love to hope, but realistically. . . .

Thanks for the info, Lon! Actually, I have those two sets already. :g

I love T-Bone Walker too! I've given quite a few copies of that 2 disc set as gifts. The response has always been positive.

I third the nomination of the Ike Quebec 45 sessions! He's such an important figure in Blue Note history. He deserves to be recognized.