How much duplicate material in your music collection?

trane_fanatic

Ya know, you buy a box set of stuff you already have on another album(s) or purchase a remastered/deluxe edition for the bonus material/better sound or a compilation that contains songs on albums you already own...

Meanwhile, you haven't gotten around to selling the extraneous copies you don't need or you want to keep the original LP or particular format around.

How many examples of this type of situation do you have in your stash and does it bother you?

Edited by trane_fanatic

Ya know, you buy a box set of stuff you already have on another album(s) or purchase a remastered/deluxe edition for the bonus material/better sound or a compilation that contains songs of albums you already own...

Meanwhile, you haven't gotten around to selling the extraneous copies you don't need or you want to keep the original LP or particular format around.

How many examples of this type of situation do you have in your stash and does it bother you?

I can't even begin to count how many duplicates I have. I must have 5 or six (at least) Louis Hot5s and 7s and the same with King Oliver. Hell - I had 3 or 4 vinyl versions of those before cds came along. There's many more - blue notes, commodores, etc. LOTS more.

So far it really doesn't bug me too much. I keep saying I should get rid of at least the worst of them but somehow never get around to it.

I have a lot of it. I have many CDs of albums which I also own in LP or cassette form. I found a retirement home that will take the cassettes as donations. The senior citizens listen to the rock music of my youth in their break room.

I have found that used music stores will pay $1 or $2 in store credit for the LPs, and I am in the process of comprehensively pulling out all of the LPs of the music I also own on CD.

I have some CD box sets which include the music which I also own on individual CDs. I am trying to identify those CDs and sell or trade them.

I have never liked to own multiple CD copies of the same album, for example in the RVG issue after already owning the regular CD, so I don't have that problem.

This has never bothered me all that much, but now we have moved and I have storage issues, and need to clean out the duplicates.

I was going to have a Stupendous Sale of the CD duplicates, but as I was filling out the application to the U.S. Trademark Office, I discovered that someone else had already registered the name. Drat!

I try to have as little duplication as possible (and yes it bugs me a lot), though with earlier artists I have a fair bit -- Lester Young, Count Basie, Django Reinhardt and Don Byas are probably where I have the most duplicates and no easy way to cut it out. I think I have duplicates of the Dizzy Savoy sides as well.

What really bugs me is when I buy something I already have!

Senility rears its ugly head. :mellow:

I do that, but not because of senility. There it is, a great CD at Half Price Books for $4.99. It will not be there the next time. Do I own it? I have too much to be able to remember. Best to buy it and check later.

This is a symptom of some problem, just not senility.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I do that, but not because of senility. There it is, a great CD at Half Price Books for $4.99. It will not be there the next time. Do I own it? I have too much to be able to remember. Best to buy it and check later.

This is a symptom of some problem, just not senility.

They allow you to hold it for up to seven days...so you can go home and check. -_-

out of 3,800 cds, i have a few older recordings that i've kept because they're autographed, and maybe one of two that have an extra track on them, but that's it. for the life of me, i can't see the sense of rebuying stuff i already have when there's so much new and interesting music out there that i don't own.

I've only done that once, and it was just a few months ago.

I spent one of Aggie's $2.79 BMG codes on the new remastered Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street. When I entered it into my database, I learned that seven years ago I bought a Japanese copy of that album I found at Borders for $4.99, which I hadn't opened yet.

Well, can't complain about the money! :rolleyes:

Any guesses as to whether the new US remaster sounds better than the old Japanese?

I've only done that once, and it was just a few months ago.

I spent one of Aggie's $2.79 BMG codes on the new remastered Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street. When I entered it into my database, I learned that seven years ago I bought a Japanese copy of that album I found at Borders for $4.99, which I hadn't opened yet.

Well, can't complain about the money! :rolleyes:

Any guesses as to whether the new US remaster sounds better than the old Japanese?

I did it earlier tonight. ... twice!

I picked up Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder" at Borders after having ordered a copy from Dan's Stupendous CD Sale and forgetting about it. I made a stupendous substitute with Dan after I got home and realized my blunder, and so I'm feeling downright giddy about the whole thing at this point.

But, for good measure, I picked up a copy of Vol. 1 of Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings at Borders as well, then came home and after listening to it ordered the entire box tonight online. ... So I'm essentially 2-for-2 in this category today, although I was able to rectify the first mistake and can rationalize the second as "sampling before making the big purchase," ... although sampling "the most important recordings in the history of jazz" (as the sticker on my CD says) before buying the whole enchilada is kinda .... :blink: ... dumb.

I have quite a lot of LPs that I've subsequently bought on CD. They're in a separate section from the other CDs. Sometimes I like to get the LP out, perhaps just to hear it without alternative takes :) so I mostly haven't flogged the LPs. I used to have a neighbour, to whom I introduced Grant Green and, as I bought GG stuff on CD, I'd give him the LPs (King GXFs no less). I think he moved to Australia to get away from the Soul Jazz :)

What I don't like is involuntary duplicates. I don't have many of these - mostly it's Dinah Washington and a few artists whose Mosaic boxes I've bought. The Mosaic stuff is OK, because you know you're getting a complete whatever. With Dinah, I've got half or quarter albums that have material I haven't got elsewhere and that's a pain, because I have little incentive to play three or four tracks, spread over a couple of LP sides. So I don't get to hear that stuff at all. I ought to put that lot on my hard drive as a different compilation, I suppose...

MG

I too often buy the same CD, especially labels that uses the same kind of covers, like ECM, Tzadik and since i'm poor at remembering titles or song titles. I've started carrying around a list with the titles i already own. Problems, i have not updated the list in a while , plus i have to do the search to figure out what is the equivalent of individual cds i have in boxsets. So i'm basically back to square one.

The only duplicate material I've ever had was two copies of Blue Train: an RVG and the Ultimate Blue Train. Ended up dumping the Ultimate-was never impressed with the bonus computer stuff.

Crap, I found another duplicate today-the Red Hot on Impulse! sampler-I own all the albums on it though, except for two :blush:

I have a handful of duplicates at most. They would have come about either by my buying a box set that had a CD I already owned or by my enjoying a compilation so much that I pursued the individual recordings. I know there are a fair amount of people here who feel differently but I think it would be a colossal waste to buy something I already had. I've never found alternate takes and bonus cuts to be compelling enough to buy a duplicate but will go for them if I'm buying for the first time. A lot of people talk about sound differences but for me, the difference in sound would have to be night and day rather than day and later that same day and even then, it would have to be a recording I really loved. I have so few duplicates that it doesn't really bother me but I'll want to sell or trade them somewhere down the line. This thread sounds like it could be the basis for a trading post. People could list their dups here and look for a buyer or trader.

Addendum: It's fairly routine stuff but hey, if anyone is interested ;) :

John Coltrane - Gentle Side Of John Coltrane

Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers - Like Someone In Love

Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz

Art Pepper - Winter Moon

Edited by mikelz777

Well, I really don't like duplicating stuff, which is why I haven't gone overboard for so much of the marvelous music on Mosaic. In so many boxes which I might otherwise buy, I find there's some music which I already have on vinyl from the old days. This means I'm still often looking for CDs to fill the gaps.

This thread sounds like it could be the basis for a trading post. People could list their dups here and look for a buyer or trader.

Addendum: It's fairly routine stuff but hey, if anyone is interested ;) :

John Coltrane - Gentle Side Of John Coltrane

Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers - Like Someone In Love

Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz

Art Pepper - Winter Moon

Sounds like a fantastic idea Mike - although perhaps someone should start one in the Offering and Looking For forum.

My duplicates tend to fall into two categories - where I've bought a box set after having sampled individual cds or when I have accidently bought two (which happens far more often than it should do for someone my age).

The former doesn't really bother me, although the latter does, so I'll list my duplicates at the weekend!

Denis

This thread sounds like it could be the basis for a trading post. People could list their dups here and look for a buyer or trader.

Isn't that essentially what the whole Offering and Looking For Forum is? I know I offer up things for trade in there pretty regularly, as do many others.

I still think that it would be a good idea to start a thread where people offered to trade duplicates - I think I'd be more inclined to take a flier trying something new when trading a duplicate. But agree that it should be in the Offering and Looking For thread.

I think the 'Pay it Forward' thread is sort of like that:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17254