Favorite appearances by Sun Ra sidemen/alumni

Rooster_Ties

Was just listening to the Andrew Hill BN discs with John Gilmore (Andrew!!! and Compulsion), and thought that this might make for an interesting topic.

Anybody that ever recorded with Sun Ra is fair game - so that's a TON of people to consider. So...

What are the best or most interesting recordings (either as leaders or as sidemen) that included people who played with Sun Ra.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have always loved Charles Davis on the Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet album "Illumination." That sho some agile bari playing.

illumin.jpeg

Another John Gilmore fan here - he tears it up on Pete LaRoca Sims' Women at a Turkish Bath album. I like that date for the whole ensemble. [Certainly not for the fidelity.] Chick Corea is on it as well. They play in ways not usually found on records of the same era, with these wonderful ostinatos and free-ish passages.

laroca_pete_turkishwo_101b.jpg

I have enjoyed Booker Little's "Out Front" more than once. Julian Preister is on that.

d906673f2zd.jpg

Another John Gilmore fan here - he tears it up on Pete LaRoca Sims' Women at a Turkish Bath album. I like that date for the whole ensemble. [Certainly not for the fidelity.] Chick Corea is on it as well. They play in ways not usually found on records of the same era, with these wonderful ostinatos and free-ish passages.

laroca_pete_turkishwo_101b.jpg

HELLYEAH!

That was one of my first 32jazz discs, and still among my favorites!

Out Front is a great record, too - as might be almost any record where Julian Priester shows up. How about the Hancock Mwandishi band?

Charles Davis' also great on Hank Mobley & Cedar Walton's Breakthrough.

ubu

The list for me would have to include the two very fine Julian Priester ECMs 'Love, Love' and 'Polarisation', in addition to the previously mentioned 'Turkish Women at the Bath' on Douglas (also issued as 'Bliss' under Chick Corea's name for Muse, I believe) where Gilmore is in fine form.

Also that 'Batman' date for Tifton where Ra and the boys were all sidemen for the 'Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale' ie. the Blues Project. I have a very soft spot for this one even though it's hardly their finest hour musically !

Edited by sidewinder

Also that 'Batman' date for Tifton where Ra and the boys were all sidemen for the 'Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale' ie. the Blues Project. I have a very soft spot for this one even though it's hardly their finest hour musically !

i got that batman record as a gift when i was 7 (1966). i played it until it wore out. 30 plus years later (after it was all but forgotten) i stumbled on the cd and bought it. it is GREAT! and the memories!

^_^

Edited by Evan

Does Sun Ra himself count, too? If so, my choice would be that Dickerson date recently reissued in the VEE series!

ubu

I love that Walt Dickerson record too!

d61312s86mf.jpg

This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. Of course, no one ever would have guessed that I liked this album. ;)

I dig Clifford Jarvis' playing on Freddie Hubbard's Open Sesame.

Just picked up this little puppy yesterday:

B00009Y31A.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And Jarvis is stunning here, too!

ubu

(edited out my - mistaken - remarks about Charlie Persip's presence on a Ra album... sorry -_- )

Edited by king ubu