Sonny Rollins

Durium

SONNY ROLLINS

rollins.jpg

Today, the 7th of September, Sonny Rollins, hopes to celebrate his 78th birthday. He was born in New York City on the 7th of September 1930. He is still an active man and most of you will remember the "hype" around the concert November last year in Carnegie Hall, New York City to memorate that it was 50 years ago that he first played in that famous venue.

Happy Birthday Sonny

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

One of the giants of the music. I was just listening to East Broadway Rundown and was thinking about the long, interesting path he's followed (excellent record BTW) and there's no question that Rollins remains one of my favorite tenor players, period. Had the joy of seeing him at Severance Hall here in Cleveland in 2001 (thanks to my wife who landed 4th row tix!) and it remains one of my favorite concert experiences of all time! As someone exclaimed at the concert when he played 'Tenor Madness' for an encore and I see it a fitting way to celebrate his birthday, 'Go Sonny!'

Edited by Holy Ghost

Today, the 7th of September, Sonny Rollins, hopes to celebrate his 78th birthday. He was born in New York City on the 7th of September 1930. He is still an active man and most of you will remember the "hype" around the concert November last year in Carnegie Hall, New York City to memorate that it was 50 years ago that he first played in that famous venue.

Carnegie Hall - Before and After

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=48...55144&hl=en

Happy Birthday Sonny!!! :party::party:

• 1 year later...

sonnyronnie2.jpg

OK, so what's the deal with this photo? Sonny's got a lyre attached to his horn, like he's getting ready for marching band practice. And who's that with him? Looks like he's holding a mouthpiece, and others are on the table. Trying out some new pieces?

And where did you find this? I did a "view image" and it comes up as being from sonnyrollins.com. But I couldn't find this image when I went to his website.

sonnyronnie2.jpg

OK, so what's the deal with this photo? Sonny's got a lyre attached to his horn, like he's getting ready for marching band practice. And who's that with him? Looks like he's holding a mouthpiece, and others are on the table. Trying out some new pieces?

And where did you find this? I did a "view image" and it comes up as being from sonnyrollins.com. But I couldn't find this image when I went to his website.

That's Ronnie Scott. London, 65, most likely. Maybe the lyre is a joke about how he was walking around while he played back then (and still does today somewhat)?

The picture came in the newsletter I signed up to receive. You can do it too!

sonnyronnie2.jpg

It's Ronnie Scott, isn't it?