What is the SINGLE most important Jazz Era

Dan Gould

Pick one, please  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My listening habits tend to coincide, somewhat, with Sangrey's. I still have so much stuff to explore, however, so I can't really answer this question definitively. As long as the music has the happenin' spirit, soul, mind, etc., and is not a rip-off of something done previously (hello, that Getz clone in the blindfold test) then I can dig it. I'd rather not limit myself too much in favor of one era or the next, as all eras have SO MUCH to offer.

Are my categories derogatory to one era or another?

No, I'm sorry Dan, you're fine. I just defensive when inclusive jazz discussions come about that look like they ignore free improv and far out avant stuff. But then labels drive me crazy anyway, which makes me even more wishy-washy. My list would have included free stuff, European improv (at least music with jazz roots) and other fringes from the 70's until now.

Are my categories derogatory to one era or another?

No, I'm sorry Dan, you're fine. I just defensive when inclusive jazz discussions come about that look like they ignore free improv and far out avant stuff.

Oh - i thought this came under progressive 60s - if not can i have my vote back & demand a recount ;)

Are my categories derogatory to one era or another? About the only category to argue with might be the BN one, since I combined non-originator bop with hard bop and soul jazz.

You give 1917 'til about '45 one category. Look at all the categories you buy. How many are there? Add to that the entries you don't buy but added for the rest of us. It is a silly list with no real understanding of the art form.

Ken and his trumpet playing friend would be proud.

Sorry, but you asked the question and I've resisted until your query.

Ouch, Chuck. "No understanding of the art form."

Look, my list was done in quick and dirty fashion in order to minimize the choices, to an extent. Yes, "progressive" is supposed to encapsulate all of the styles that came after hardbop, outside of fusion. Since I included the originators of bop, I figured I'd include the "originators" of what I've dubbed progressive and keep them separate from their descendants. Could I have split things up into big band and swing and dixieland, and hard bop and soul jazz and everything else? Sure. I just wanted a quick and dirty, simple division. It wasn't meant to be the template for a dissertation on the history of jazz. All it was supposed to do is demonstrate that more people are interested in the pre-progressive era than the post-progressive era, as Simon seemed to be implying in another thread. And I'd say that point is proven.

Frankly, my only mistake, IMO, is not offering the option of "I don't limit myself to one era, there's too many tasty morsels all around."

I voted '52-'67, but that category is a bit misleading for me, because I believe that popularity of '50s jazz, particularly West Coast jazz, is more significant than whatever happened in the '60s.

I'm thinking of popularity not in terms of jazz fans but rather the general population. For example, West Coast jazz was the basis of movie soundtracks for decades, and many think of the Peter Gunn soundtrack-type jazzb when they hear the word "jazz".

Thanks for the poll!

It's kind of a no-brainer for me. Although I love a lot of jazz from the entire history of the music, all of pre-bop contains much more for me (in a quatitative sense) than any other single listed period. That period is also the foundation for everything that came later, and therefore has prime "importance" for all other periods of jazz.

Edited by John L

All it was supposed to do is demonstrate that more people are interested in the pre-progressive era than the post-progressive era, as Simon seemed to be implying in another thread.  And I'd say that point is proven.

So this was not a poll, but some sort of jerking off.

Clean up and say good night Dan.

No, it was a poll, no jerking off necessary.

Simon said something I didn't think was accurate. The board software gave me the ability to test his assertion.

Actually Dan, I'm not sure the poll proves anything.

For example, I gritted my teeth and voted for Classic BN, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I equally love the progressive stuff and really hated being forced to "categorize" my tastes. I also like soul jazz and bossa nova. I like Charlie Parker and Clifford Brown. I like John Coltrane's explorations and the genius of Miles Davis. I mean how do you categorize this stuff?

Like many others here, I like all jazz styles though I do favor hard bop. I guess it is tough being forced to choose a particular favorite style in a poll like this because it then forces you to exclude other stuff you really like.

I would also have broken down many of the styles, but I know this wouldn't be easy to do.

I don't think this poll proves anything, but I do respect your intentions, Dan. :)

• 7 months later...