Great Finds

desertblues

I just picked up the 5-LP box set, Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert. Features a number of folks I've never heard of but also Sal Mosca, Sheila Jordan(?), and the trio of Warne Marsh/Eddie Gomez/Peter Scattaretico. The trio does "I Love You", "Trilogy", and "I Should Care". It was all of $8.99.

Edited by Brandon Burke

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon Burke  Posted on Jun 14 2004, 05:18 PM        I just picked up the 5-LP box set, Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert . Features a number of folks I've never heard of but also Sal Mosca, Sheila Jordan(?), and the trio of Warne Marsh/Eddie Gomez/Peter Scattaretico. The trio does "I Love You", "Trilogy", and "I Should Care". It was all of $8.99.

That's definitely a GREAT find!

Pete - Is your Pepper Paich a monaural or stereo recording? One of them, and I'm not sure which, is worth a fair amount of money. I found a copy of this a number of years ago at a Goodwill store in Ellensberg Washington. I believe I paid less than $5.00 for it.

Up over and out.

2 Amiga records:

Jazz mit Günter Hörig, the third jazz LP ever to be released in the GDR, collects big band and small group recordings of this pianist from 1956-1963. There are some pretty nice things on this one.

jazzGuenterHoerig.jpg

Friedhelm Schönfeld/Hubert Katzenbeier - JAZZ, another rare one from 1972. Side A features the Schönfeld Trio playing a three part suite. Free modern jazz from behind the iron curtain. Great stuff. Schönfeld plays clarinet, alto, and tenor; add Klaus Koch on bass and Günter Sommer on drums.

Side B features the Katzenbeier group playing some rather wacked out hardbop inside/outside kinda stuff.

855307.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can happen. Last week bought 40 sealed blue note and misc cds including Miles Davis box and double bn cds for 1 dollar each. Of course I was there for lps which had been sold days before the sale. they were disco so i didn't shoot myself.

Edited by jazzhound

Can happen. Last week bought 40 sealed blue note and misc cds including Miles Davis box and double bn cds for 1 dollar each. Of course I was there for lps which had been sold days before the sale. they were disco so i didn't shoot myself.

Why would someone with all those BNs have DISCO records, fer crissakes :o

BTW, what part of the country was this?

Posted at another board (has to do with audio and inmates ^_^ ). True story? If so, perhaps the ultimate garage sale haul. The guy told me that this took place in SoCal. What do you think?

Garage sale this morning @ a buck each! All in xlint shape. I almost had tears in my eyes and I'm totally grateful to the lady who sold them to me. Now, if only I had a digital camera...

On Mosaic Vinyl Box

Complete Bud Powell Blue Note Recordings 1949-1958

Complete Blue Note Recordings of the Tina Brooks Quintets

Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper

Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus

Benny Morton and Jimmy Hamilton Blue Note Swingtets - Sealed

Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings of Clifford Brown

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk

On Mosaic CD Box

Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Chet Baker Quartet w/Freeman

Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings Chet Baker Quartet w/Freeman

Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols

Complete Candid Recordings of Cecil Taylor & Buell Neidlinger

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Larry Young

The Complete CBS Recordings of Woody Shaw

The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions 1963-66

The Complete Atlantic and EMI Jazz Recordings of Shorty Rogers

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Don Cherry

If this really did happen, my guess is that someone's ex-wife or g/f got rid of them in an act of supreme revenge. :excited:

Another jazz fan bit the dust.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a SEALED copy of Harold Land's Peacemaker on Cadet for $12. The store had 30 or so SEALED (did I mention that?) Argos &Cadets: Ahmad Jamal, Ramsey Lewis, Rusty Bryant, Kenny Burrel, Lou Donaldson, Phil Upchurch, Etta James, etc. I don't know if he's got them up on his web site yet but you could check www.vinylrestingplace.com or email at mail@vinylrestingplace.com. Or make your way out to St. Johns if you live in the Ptld (OR) area. i also found a Liberty pressing of Mo' Greens Please for $20 at Crossroads on Hawthorne. Lots of good stuffs all over, silly me I go and lose $ I could have spent on records in the poker machines. At least I'm helping to balance the state budget...

Not sure if these really count as great find but I was very pleased, from a street market in Provence , France

Daniel Fillipacchi presente; Art Blakey et les jazz-messengers au club St.Germain- ( original pressing in excellent condition)- RCA 430.043

Lou Bennett Quartet- Amen- RCA ( original pressing) 430.050