Classic Jazz Guitar

A Lark Ascending

Not hip to the Abercrombie. Is that available?

Then there's Mclaughlin's guitar ensemble arrangements for that Bill Evans album (I've yet to hear that).

Guitars sound great together. :rlol

I might try my hand at it sometime, if a good idea occurs to me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not hip to the Abercrombie. Is that available?

Oh yeah...ECM. I think he has a bit of electric mandolin in there for the soprano guitar parts. Later I'll make a list of straight ahead gtr albums by him that fit the thread.

AbercrombieCharacters.jpg

Then there's Mclaughlin's guitar ensemble arrangements for that Bill Evans album (I've yet to hear that).

I haven't heard it yet, but I do have a copy of the book of arrangements.

Guitars sound great together. :rlol

I might try my hand at it sometime, if a good idea occurs to me.

Very cool!

I enjoy the "Great Guitars", a trio consisting of Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, and Charlie Byrd which made half a dozen albums for Concord Jazz.

Bola Sete is an interesting guitarist. I enjoy the albums he made in the 1960s with pianist Vince Guaraldi, although some of the music sounds schlocky today. Sete also recorded on his own, but I'm not familiar with this work.

Tony Rice started out as a bluegrass musician, a tradition to which he has returned throughout his career, but his fast, clean acoustic guitar improvisations are unlike any of his predecessors in jazz or bluegrass.

Lenny Breau - has a cult following (= died from drugs and in relative obscurity), but does live up to the expectations. Try "Cabin Fever."

I'm going to have to disabuse you of the circumstances of Breau's death. It remains unsolved, but it was certainly a homicide -- his body was found in a swimming pool, yet he would avoid swimming, and was uncomfortable in water above his waist.

In the excellent biography of Breau, One Long Tune (by Ron Forbes-Roberts, University of North Texas Press) the author reports "...the official coroner's report declared that Lenny's death had not been accidental. Water was not present in Lenny's lungs, indicating that he was dead before his body entered the pool...." He continues "...Bill Gold of the Los Angeles coroner's office stated that 'asphixia caused by; compression of, or to, the neck consistent with those found in strangulation' had ended Lenny's life, and the LAPD officially declared his death a homicide".

I knew Lenny, and he certainly had his problems with drugs, but he did not 'die from drugs'. I recorded him with Dave Young on bass at Bourbon Street in Toronto in June of 1983, and I belileve this release itself would show anyone how great a player he was. The best release (2 lps were out) is the complete recordings in performace order is "Live at Bourbon Street" (Guitarchives TNXD 0119, 2 CDs).

This isn't a commerical, by the way: I have no commercial interest in either the book or recording, but I do love Lenny Breau's music.

I see Peter Friedman has acknowledged another great Toronto guitarist: Reg Schwager. And to add to the list of my countrymen/guitarists, check out Lorne Lofsky and Vancouver's Oliver Gannon.

One more thing: you'll love Barney Kessel's work on the recent OP Mosaic set...he's 1/3 of the reason to buy it, but there's also a new book about him from the UK I can recommend. Barney Kessel--A Jazz Legend by Maurice J. Summerfield, Ashley Marks Publishing Company with a website at www.FretsOnly.com. It has a bio, an impressive jazz discography, lots of pictures and documents such as contracts and advertisements featuring Barney.

I just today listened to a guitarist new to me playing in a classic jazz style, Greg Chako. His story is fascinating and, at points, tragic. He's had long spells away from music due to carpal tunnel syndrome. He currently lives, as far as I can tell, in Japan, where he moved with his wife. Shortly after relocating from Singapore to Japan his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

The cd, Everyone's Got a Name, is his 6th or 7th. I thought the playing was very strong and engaging. His website, gregchako.com has lots of sound clips and lots of information on his personal story.

Hello Bev,

A guitarist who is imo deserving of mention is Terry Smith. He is greatly under-recorded but his work with the 70's UK rock/jazz band "IF" showcases his prodigious talents as does his late 70's album "Terry Smith with the Tony Lee Trio". It is very hard to find, but worth the search.

Pat Martino has always raised my pulse. A remarkable player with a sense of innovation that elevates him above the bundles of copyists. A aneurism in his brain stripped him of his memory in the 70's and he re-taught himself to play by listening to his own recordings. A remarkable man and a gifted player.

As for Lenny Breau, well, what can you say. A guitarists guitarist. I woke up one morning in the mid 70's when I was living in Vancouver to find him in my apartment in with a chubby girl. Never quite worked out how either of them got there. Must have had something to do with an unlocked door.

Malraux

I essentially like the guitar associated with the organ, in trio form or quartet. Here are a few CD's I have enjoyed thru the years;

Eddie McFadden with Jimmy Smith "Groovin' at Small's Paradise"

Bob Devos - Guitar Groove and Shifting sands

Grant Green with John Patton Mosaic Select

There is also an excellent player performing with Ray Charles on his Olympia 2000 DVDV/CD, but I can't remember his name... <_<

I CAN'T THINK WHY NO ONE - NOT EVEN I - MENTIONED JIMMY PONDER BEFORE NOW.

PONDER IS A VERY UNDER-RATED PLAYER, POSSIBLY BECAUSE HE WAS FOR SO LONG ASSOCIATED WITH SOUL JAZZ AND ORGANISTS - AND MADE SOME PRETTY DUFF COMMERCIAL ALBUMS IN THE LATE SIXTIES/EARLY SEVENTIES. BUT SINCE MAKING "MEAN STREETS, NO BRIDGES" FOR MUSE IN 1987, HIS ALBUMS HAVE BEEN VERY STRAIGHT AND VERY INTERESTING, EVEN INCLUDING A COUPLE OF PHAROAH SANDERS TUNES.

LAST YEAR, A BRITISH FIRM, EXPLORE, ISSUED A SOLO LIVE SET HE HAD RECORDED IN 1980 FOR THE JAPANESE CHEETAH LABEL, BUT WHICH HADN'T BEEN RELEASED. THIS IS "LIVE AT THE OTHER END" AND I'VE BEEN PLAYING IT A BIT LATELY. VERY INTERESTING STUFF INCLUDING A REALLY EXCEPTIONAL VERSION OF "FREEDOM JAZZ DANCE" WHICH I DIDN'T THINK WOULD WORK AS A SOLO GUITAR PIECE. BUT IT DOES.

MG

• 2 months later...

I don't see George Van Eps mentioned, I have a couple of his solo albums. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

GeorgeVanEpsMellowGuitar.jpg

George Van Eps - Mellow Guitar

Ted Greene - solo guitar (it's his only album)

TedGreene.jpg

Both of these guys are guitar gurus, having written lots of material on guitar harmony and chord voicing.

* As previously noted, Jimmy Raney & Tal Farlow is essential.

Edited by 7/4

• 4 months later...

I've been meaning to share this for awhile, and this seems like it might be one good place to share it...

My Youtube page, featuring some rare Louis Stewart performances.

Last year, I uploaded about 30 individual songs from four different Louis Stewart club or concert appearances. One of these features Tal Farlow, and another features alto saxophonist Peter King. I didn't record any of the videos myself, but I've had them for decades on vhs tapes. One of Louis' friends suggested that I upload them, and Louis gave his blessings. I hope some of the folks here will dig them. My favorite overall date is the quartet in Wales (not to be confused with "quartet #2 in Wales).

If you enjoy what I've uploaded, do NOT miss this gentleman's videos. He is a close friend of Louis', and has a treasure trove of great stuff. He just recently posted a tribute video for Louis, which is a slideshow of photos which chronicles Louis' life in music, going back to some shots of him as a kid in the 50's. Lots of pics of Louis with many of the jazz greats he's played with since the 60's. I must have paused the thing about 47 times. ^_^

Start with the basics: Christian, Django, Eddie Durham (he started amplified playing, even before Christian who popularized it), Eddie Lang (acoustic player, and excellent) duets with Lonnie Johnson are good.

Then go to the players that came out of them, in each era. There are too many to mention.

Edited by fasstrack

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been meaning to share this for awhile, and this seems like it might be one good place to share it...

My Youtube page, featuring some rare Louis Stewart performances.

Last year, I uploaded about 30 individual songs from four different Louis Stewart club or concert appearances. One of these features Tal Farlow, and another features alto saxophonist Peter King. I didn't record any of the videos myself, but I've had them for decades on vhs tapes. One of Louis' friends suggested that I upload them, and Louis gave his blessings. I hope some of the folks here will dig them. My favorite overall date is the quartet in Wales (not to be confused with "quartet #2 in Wales).

If you enjoy what I've uploaded, do NOT miss this gentleman's videos.

Wow, five years goes by quickly. I haven't added any uploads, but haven't removed anything either. Anybody enjoy any of these videos?