Benny Goodman Columbia/OKeh Mosaic available for pre-order

J.A.W.

Guest Bixieland

Thanks for the update! This set does sound essential. I like not having the vocal tracks, myself. Also, alt-takes usually don't grate as much without vocals.

Leaning towards the Chu, only because he's been bumped a few times already. If I can't decide, I may punt and just pick up the Sonny Stitt! Now...the Stitt's on back-order! :angry:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bixieland

If you don't have the bulk of the Chu stuff on other sources I'd definitely get the Mosaic - all of his playing is 'must have' The guy was one of the really Great tenor players and it's intriguing to imagine where he might have gone musically if he hadn't got into Andrew Brown's car that night....

I think you're right. I have the Hampton Mosaic--and of all those great musicians on that set, for some reason it's Chu who gets burned in my brain!! His sound and bee-buzzing lines are so distinct! Did he ever breathe?

I also previewed some of the Cab stuff that appears on this box over at AMG, and I feel totally fine with it--I was a little worried about that, but it's a nice helping of some Hep stuff, that was once pretty popular and thus a big part of American musical history. Can't complain about that. So, I just pulled the trigger on the Chu!

Of course, I am now regretting not getting the Benny.... :blink: but, you know... Maybe I'll get some gift-certs this spring for my birthday!

...but, by this spring, the Armstrong Mosaic will be arriving.

Damn.

• 2 months later...

An older VERRRYYY enthusiastic review of this set.... over at AAJ.... I'll post the link and a segment below...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=26483

"......For me, this box is a blessing in so many ways. If you love swing, the set is like owning a Rolex or a fine piece of furniture.

The craftsmanship is subtle and unmistakable, and you instantly know you're in the presence of unparalleled greatness. In addition, this box is one of those rare instances where I actually welcomed hearing alternate takes. Even during the 1950s recordings, my foot was snapping unconsciously against the base of my swivel chair. You can't help it.

Unless something else comes along in the next four weeks, this is the box set of the year, hands down...."

:rolleyes::excited: :excited:

Sorry guys... but this review is pushing me over the edge toward the Goodman :blush: ... I'm still not budging on the Armstrong.... :beee: :beee: :beee:

Edited by tranemonk

You've got lots of time to get the Armstrong, it's going to be around for years.

Armstrong is essential to my world. It has nothing to do with the fact that we share a birthdate, a last name, the same father's name. He's the source of so much music that I love. The more you listen to him the more you realize that fact. He was a man who rose from nothing to domination in the field of popular music. He was a complete artist, not just a musician. One of the most astonishing individuals in the last century.

I hope in time you'll get around to approaching Armstrong's work with an open mind. He was so much more important than Benny Goodman. (Oh I am definitely a Goodman fan. And I like that Goodman set a lot. But it's not even the best Goodman. . . not something I'd grab if the house was coming down around my ears.)

Now that's a helpful post... ^_^

I'm glad you're enjoying the Goodman... I see that Sony Legacy is releasing a "100th Anniversary boxed set" for Goodman next month... Once I see what's in that one... I might have to do that one too..... :)

I just really have VERY little Goodman and feel a need to get to know him better....

I hope in time you'll get around to approaching Armstrong's work with an open mind. He was so much more important than Benny Goodman. (Oh I am definitely a Goodman fan. And I like that Goodman set a lot. But it's not even the best Goodman. . . not something I'd grab if the house was coming down around my ears.)

As the complete set is out of print, I'd suggest this disc as a start for Goodman, some of his finest work:

51V3A4PEY0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And if you want to try some excellent Armstrong, serious as your life working band music, available cheaply:

armstrong_wchandy_600.jpg

If you're just investigating musicians, single discs are good vehicles.

don't want to annoy anybody, but I wish someone would do an early Benny comp - like pre-1934. Personally, I find his early playing full of life and depth, the post-1935 stuff slick and pat - though I have tried to like it -

Funny, I was just listening to the Sextet stuff a few minutes ago----Charlie Christian, Hamp, Buck C., etc. Benny and the rest sound pretty damn great to me there. I grew up on that stuff-----under the LP name 'Solo Flight'. Some of my all-time favorite music and an early and seminal influence on my own phoney-baloney work.

Consider me annoyed----but I think I know what you mean. He ws really into Jimmy Noone early on, wasn't he?