Benny Goodman Columbia/OKeh Mosaic available for pre-order

J.A.W.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't want to annoy anybody, but I wish someone would do an early Benny comp - like pre-1934. Personally, I find his early playing full of life and depth, the post-1935 stuff slick and pat - though I have tried to like it -

I have always liked this earlier Benny Goodman collection--is this an example of the pre-1934 playing you like?

71EA654BFEE5444D9F1632F196FADA0E.jpg

don't want to annoy anybody, but I wish someone would do an early Benny comp - like pre-1934. Personally, I find his early playing full of life and depth, the post-1935 stuff slick and pat - though I have tried to like it -

I have always liked this earlier Benny Goodman collection--is this an example of the pre-1934 playing you like?

71EA654BFEE5444D9F1632F196FADA0E.jpg

Pity they smothered the music with Sonic Solutions' NoNOISE :tdown

All "Decca Jazz" releases suffer from noise reduction.

Edited by J.A.W.

Allen, dig this--newly out from Jazz Oracle:

Benny Goodman 1930-1933

Ask and ye shall receive! ^_^

bdw8059.jpg

Good point Chuck..

But my thinking is this..

1) Goodman's volume of output is pretty large (thus making it difficult to determine which are "Must-haves")

2) Given the massive number of reissues/bastardization/compilations/imports/etc., it is difficult to determine which Goodman releases are legit and which are fraudulent.

3) Given his historical place in the music, I figured a large sample - would provide a good assessment of his contributions and finally

4) I trust Mosaic...

What do you think? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

That is one huge sample. I suggest dipping your toe elsewhere.
Edited by tranemonk

Good point Chuck..

But my thinking is this..

1) Goodman's volume of output is pretty large (thus making it difficult to determine which are "Must-haves")

2) Given the massive number of reissues/bastardization/compilations/imports/etc., it is difficult to determine which Goodman releases are legit and which are fraudulent.

3) Given his historical place in the music, I figured a large sample - would provide a good assessment of his contributions and finally

4) I trust Mosaic...

What do you think? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

That is one huge sample. I suggest dipping your toe elsewhere.

The John R.T. Davies-mastered single Benny Goodman CDs on the Scottish Hep Jazz label are excellent alternatives. Some of the discs have several of the late 1930s and 1940s tracks that are on the Mosaic set.

Edited by J.A.W.

Benny appears on a few tracks in the Chu Berry (disc 1), Basie-Young (disc 4), Bix/Tram/Tea (disc 7) and Venuti & Lang (disc 8) Mosaic sets. I'm just reading off my database so I'm not sure how prominent he is on all tracks, but if you have those you can give them a sample.

If you trust Mosaic (I understand :)), have the money and like to have a lot of material to work with when diving into a new (to you) artist, sure, go for it! A couple of years ago I went from 2 Sonny Stitt leader discs to 11 thanks to Mosaic and have no regrets whatsoever.

To name 2 Goodman titles that are legit, excellent and won't overlap with the Mosaic, check out (if you haven't already) the RCA Small Groups or B.G. In Hi-Fi on Blue Note.

And given that some of the music on the Mosaic set is from the Great Depression, maybe the current tough times will assist in a greater appreciation of the music.

And given that some of the music on the Mosaic set is from the Great Depression, maybe the current tough times will assist in a greater appreciation of the music.

Depends on when the Great Depression ended in one's perception; many would say 1939 with the beginning of the war economy of World War II. The earliest tracks on the Mosaic date from August 1939, just before the war started in Europe.

Depends on when the Great Depression ended in one's perception; many would say 1939 with the beginning of the war economy of World War II. The earliest tracks on the Mosaic date from August 1939, just before the war started in Europe.

Yikes, I may finally need glasses. I read 1939 as 1934. :lol:

I recently heard someone say that in the US it didn't really end until 1942 when they finally entered the war. (OK DEc 1941). I certainly don't have the knowledge to argue.

I just looked over the "discography" associated with this set. Man, there are a boatload of alternate takes, as many as four on some songs. And, it looks like they're all one right after another instead of placed at the end of a given disc (my preference). By itself, this should not dissuade anyone from purchasing this historically relevant box, but be aware that you're going to hear some of the same tunes over and over again. Some people think that's the only way to go. Some don't.

Up over and out.

I just looked over the "discography" associated with this set. Man, there are a boatload of alternate takes, as many as four on some songs. And, it looks like they're all one right after another instead of placed at the end of a given disc (my preference). By itself, this should not dissuade anyone from purchasing this historically relevant box, but be aware that you're going to hear some of the same tunes over and over again. Some people think that's the only way to go. Some don't.

I wish they'd gone the end-of-the-disc route.

I wish they'd gone the end-of-the-disc route.

According to the blurb accompanying the announcement, that's precisely what they did do, so enjoy!

Greg Mo

Tranemonk---don't neglect to check out some of the stuff from the height of the swing era: 1935-38. This is what made his fame.

I can easily recommend this 3 CDs set:

51KS584MCXL._SS500_.jpg

Essential. :tup

Also be sure to check out the BG small group recordings currently issued under Charlie Christian's name, such as:

41GPM8JRV8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

But, as already pointed out, the 1935-38 big band stuff is the place to start--think "Sing, Sing, Sing" (with some nifty small-group material also thrown in for good measure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzaVNwkoZqc...feature=related

Edited by Ron S

I was curious about the prevalence of alternate takes... so I counted..

Out of 177 songs on the 7 cds there are 66 alternate takes.... or 37.2% of all the songs :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: They would have had to do one and a half CD's just for the alternate takes...

This seems like a LOT even by Mosaic standards...

As I'm one who doesn't like a lot of alt takes... :beee: :beee: :beee: :beee: :beee: I think I might be passing on this one...

I might take your advice and do the small groups Victor set... (even though that also has a lot of alt takes - just not 66!)

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

okay since I apparently killed this thread... :unsure: :unsure:

I'm still a little torn over this set... It does seem to be an unusually high number of alt. takes.... Am I wrong about that?

Did anyone buy/receive/listen to this set?

thanks

I'm giving it to myself for Christmas, along with the Peterson, and maybe the Braxton sets. Still struggling with whether to get that last one.

Greg Mo