Fake Live Albums

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Russell Live at the Five Spot

The piano is actually in tune and there's no audience sounds.

Teddy Wilson Mr. Wilson and Mr. Gershwin

One of those weird Columbia "live" LPs where the applause magically vanishes on a reissue CD.

Duke Ellington Jazz Party

This one was recorded live, but evidently there were mikes outside the studio to pick up applause. Yet the CD reissue has no applause, even though it is the same music.

Art Tatum At the Crescendo

A pair of Gene Norman Presents LPs that overdubbed idential-sounding applause between each track, all of which were recorded elsewhere.

A pair of Gene Norman Presents LPs that overdubbed idential-sounding applause between each track, all of which were recorded elsewhere.

When I first heard these LP's in the 1970's, I thought it was odd that the applause was in stereo! It didn't take long to figure out that it had been dubbed in. :unsure:

When I first heard these LP's in the 1970's, I thought it was odd that the applause was in stereo! It didn't take long to figure out that it had been dubbed in. :unsure:

When I mentioned this to Gene Norman he feigned ignorance. :rolleyes:

I was waiting for somebody to mention Jazz Party as I was reading this. I love the music, but always hated the applause (real or not, the mix sucked).

I didn't notice a response to the "live studio" question, and it happens I'm searching for just such a record right now. Lou Rawls did one of these (1968?) with Tommy Stewart on piano, but I don't know the name of the record. I've got some of the tracks on the Best Of from Capitol, but there's no info about the original album. Anybody help a brother out on this?

Funny aside: I included something I'd recorded on a blindfold test I did for some friends. Somebody claimed the recording was in studio and doctored to simulate a live performance... ah, no.

When I mentioned this to Gene Norman he feigned ignorance. :rolleyes:

Am I also correct about the "live" Machito at the Crescendo? It sure sounds fake.

About half of Dave Brubeck's "Newport 1958" is actually "NYC studio 1958". Part of "Jazz Impressions of Eurasia" was also done at the same studio session.

Actually, who cares really? I wonder why they even bothered to lie about all these "live" albums. The word is stupid anyway, cos you never get dead musicians recording.

About half of Dave Brubeck's "Newport 1958" is actually "NYC studio 1958". Part of "Jazz Impressions of Eurasia" was also done at the same studio session.

Actually, who cares really? I wonder why they even bothered to lie about all these "live" albums. The word is stupid anyway, cos you never get dead musicians recording.

Tupac.

Oh wait, you said musicians.

There are a few occasions, like the Adderley "Mercy, mercy, mercy" album, where an album was recorded in the studio, with an invited audience.

Cannonball Adderley & Ernie Andrews - Live session - Capitol

I believe half of the Cannonball/Ernie Andrews album was recorded at the Memory Lane nightclub in Los Angeles, the other half was recorded at The Lighthouse, Hermosa Beach California.

MERCY, MERCY, MERCY was, indeed, recorded in Capitol's studio although the cover says "Live at 'The Club' (wherever that's supposed to be). :rolleyes:

Cannonball Adderley & Ernie Andrews - Live session - Capitol

I believe half of the Cannonball/Ernie Andrews album was recorded at the Memory Lane nightclub in Los Angeles, the other half was recorded at The Lighthouse, Hermosa Beach California.

(Checks sleeve) Good lord! It was indeed!

MG