Winter Is Here...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're ok, Randy!

Thanks Aggie.. Makes me a little more paranoid about driving the freeways :blink:

I took this picture of our bayfront today. You guys should move south - maybe not alot of gigs down here, but we don't have your winters, either. We do have plenty of crazy drivers on the interstates, but at least they're not icy. ^_^

dsc00813ts2.jpg

Just had a furnace scare - came home from shopping and the furnace was making such a loud clanging sound that I could barely stand to approach it. I don't know jack about furnaces, so I started calling people. I believed it was the inducer motor, based on what the last repairman had written on the service order ("inducer motor making some noise"). At a certain point, it just quit working, and I was getting no heat. I was also getting nowhere with any of the H&AC companies here in town, as no one had this part in stock. The house was getting colder and I was wondering what to do next.

I went downstairs, took another look, and discovered that one of the three brackets that hold the motor away from the unit had broken, which put the motor at an angle (thus all the clanging inside). I looked in my toolbox and found an small piece of metal with a hole in the middle that, amazingly, perfectly matched the bracket screw. Screwing it on like a washer brought the motor back into alignment, and now it runs quieter than it has all year. :party:

Now I'm glad no one had that part, as I would have been charged overtime for the call!

Just had a furnace scare - came home from shopping and the furnace was making such a loud clanging sound that I could barely stand to approach it. I don't know jack about furnaces, so I started calling people. I believed it was the inducer motor, based on what the last repairman had written on the service order ("inducer motor making some noise"). At a certain point, it just quit working, and I was getting no heat. I was also getting nowhere with any of the H&AC companies here in town, as no one had this part in stock. The house was getting colder and I was wondering what to do next.

I went downstairs, took another look, and discovered that one of the three brackets that hold the motor away from the unit had broken, which put the motor at an angle (thus all the clanging inside). I looked in my toolbox and found an small piece of metal with a hole in the middle that, amazingly, perfectly matched the bracket screw. Screwing it on like a washer brought the motor back into alignment, and now it runs quieter than it has all year. :party:

Now I'm glad no one had that part, as I would have been charged overtime for the call!

Good thing you took another look.. :tup

I have a stove model fireplace in my living room that runs on natural gas and it's already saved my ass.. My main source of heat is a forced air furnace, and a vicious ice storm one night in Feb 2006 knocked out my power for 2 days and the fireplace kept my place warm and prevented the pipes from freezing.. The day after the ice storm the temps dropped down in the single digits.

I told the guy I was ok and that he was driving too fast for the conditions and he said he just hit a slick spot and I said no, you were driving too fast for the weather conditions and should have been driving at everybody else's speed which was about 50 mph.

Wow. It's too bad he managed to hit such an unexpected slick spot in bad winter weather. Who'da thunk it? :crazy:

No snow [except once in a very great while; I X-country skied down the main drag here in town 8 years ago...it was way cool!]

Lately, no rain either....or snow in the mountains.

But we have had lots of ground fog [known to us Locals as Tule or Valley Fog]...it's like driving inside a ligh bulb.

Haven't seen the sun for two weeks now.

40-50 degrees.

No wood burning [fireplace].

It sucks.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Here in the south of Russia winters are warm .Snowing once in few years. Mostly raining. In the coldest winter I remember temperature fall to -7C. The only problem is high humidity .

But folks in north started making ice sculptures month ago :rolleyes:

Edited by Serioza

Ridiculously cold over here for pre-Xmas. Not Siberia or Canada I know but it feels like it ! :blink:

As a matter of fact, Manchester was having temperatures a few days ago that were similar to those in Toronto, Montreal and Moscow! Completely abnomal!

I thought so. I haven't felt as cold as this since encountering -55C with windchill in Central Alberta !

Tuesday morning started with rain, sleet, then freezing rain, and finally by late afternoon snow. By 11:30 pm the winter storm finally wound down and passed over, heading in the direction of Ron S. I looked outside and decided to go out and do the annual "Embrace and Make Peace with Winter" Ceremony by digging out and taking a nice two mile walk on snowy back roads, and with a doob and a bottle of water. :cool:

The ceremonial walk was invigorating and was aluminated by the light of an almost full and hazy moon, and in front of the moon a thin layer of clouds were forming abstract images... Nice groves of snowy maples and pine trees, open fields with big snow drifts, and a beautiful sky. Walking back there was a northerly breeze that started out like a whisper and gradually the icy wind increased to gusts of maybe 15 mph reminding me once again that for at least the next 3 months WINTER RULES! :tup -_-

Edited by randissimo

Winters_Here.jpg

So you're wondering , "What's this cover doing in this thread" ? Answer : it's a record by singer Jerri Winters on the Fraternity label , featuring an all white cover , save for a little tuft of grass next to the album's title , "Winter's Here" . Designed by my favorite cover designer , Burt Goldblatt , it's perfect for this thread don't you think ?