BFT#60 Disk 1

sidewinder

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 1- Kenton like but probably some bass ass Yurpeans like CBBB having a heavy brass day

Track 3 Swedish ?? Arne Domnerus

Track 4 groovy , luvely track Dave Pike ?

Track 6 Woody Shaw-

Track 8 - very familiar I think, I may have this, oh the embarassment....no idea

Track 9 the Divine SV- groovy wood blocks, or coconuts being clattered together, nice

Track 12 Body and Soul- I wouldn't ever guess who this was

Track 13 - guitarist John abercrombie ???, perhaps his group with Dan Wall?

1. Not Kenton or CBBB

3. Not Swedish !

4. Not Dave Pike

6. Not Woody Shaw

8. You probably do have this. :D

9. Not Sarah or Ella !

12. - Yes, 'Body & Soul'. Thom nailed this one.

13. Not 'Abercrombie and Wall' (Isn't that the name of a store?)

Cheers for the input ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Track 1- Kenton like but probably some bass ass Yurpeans like CBBB having a heavy brass day

Track 3 Swedish ?? Arne Domnerus

Track 4 groovy , luvely track Dave Pike ?

Track 6 Woody Shaw-

Track 8 - very familiar I think, I may have this, oh the embarassment....no idea

Track 9 the Divine SV- groovy wood blocks, or coconuts being clattered together, nice

Track 12 Body and Soul- I wouldn't ever guess who this was

Track 13 - guitarist John abercrombie ???, perhaps his group with Dan Wall?

1. Not Kenton or CBBB

3. Not Swedish !

4. Not Dave Pike

6. Not Woody Shaw

8. You probably do have this. :D

9. Not Sarah or Ella !

12. - Yes, 'Body & Soul'. Thom nailed this one.

13. Not 'Abercrombie and Wall' (Isn't that the name of a store?)

Cheers for the input ! :tup

Blast....

It is my objective of this BFT that some serious loss of hair will result due to collective scratching of heads for various tracks... :D

No kidding! Especially since you say track 8 is neither "Riot" nor "Sorcerer," and track 9 is not Ella or Sarah! :huh:

PS: I got the answers. I haven't peeked, either! :)

1 Hammer Films strike again! I bet this is that British bandleader whose father was also a bandleader – who also did soundtracks. I know this sounds like Chewy, but I can’t help it.

Oh, and I really dislike it, sorry.

2 This is a nice one. Arrangement is a bit heavy, but the 6/8 groove is there. But halfway through the trumpet solo, the arranger tried to do something clever and it broke the thing up rather badly. They do it again later. Don’t know why they can’t just let the musicians swing. I really don’t know who this is, but it has something of the sound of the Dankworth band as I recall it. But it might be Mike Gibbs, as well. Oh, applause at the end. Must be one of those fake live albums.

3 Rather like that tenor player. Drummer seemed not quite right on brushes – some wrong accents it sounded like. But later he was fine. I guess you took that off a 45.

4 Oh, a groove after my own heart! The technology seems to put this into the late sixties, early seventies. I don’t know who the organist is. That little bell-like percussion instrument seems to move it away from America into Europe, as I don’t think any of the American organists would have tried to set up that groove in this way. And a very nice assist from the vibes player. Damn good organist though. Listened to it twice on the trot with undiminished admiration! There’s a bit at the end that’s familiar.

A few days later – I keep listening to this track. Really nice, but I’m not getting any further clues.

5 Well, I’ve got to say this is very nice. I love the 6/8 feel to this and the pianist is doing very nice things. But the band is kind of commonplace; like I seem to have heard loads of stuff arranged in this rather portentous way (even if I really haven’t).

6 Ah, some out stuff! But with a big band. Not my kind of stuff so there’s no hope of guessing who’s playing. But the alto and tenor players are both wailin’ quite nicely.

7 Another big band, doing a Bossa Nova, with piano lead. I think I recognise this. The arrangement, with all those flutes, is too screechy to be pleasant to me.

8 Another I’m entirely out of sympathy with, I’m afraid.

9 “Ill wind” sung by a lady whose voice I don’t like at all. The Latin rhythm doesn’t seem to fit this song at all well.

10 Sounds as if it’s something from this

http://www.jazzscript.co.uk/CDs/harriott67ijf.htm

Very nice trumpet player.

11 Bet this is Les Baxter! This is not my kind of stuff but I can get with this nicely.

12 “Body and soul” played rather urgently. I could do without the orchestra. Tenor player is fine – particularly in the unaccompanied coda.

13 Nice start to this. Big band with organ. There’s something familiar about this, but I really don’t recognise it. Ah, I think this is a Rhoda Scott recording I haven’t got (one of many I haven’t got) – the one she did with the Thad Jones band. Yes, I can see it was a mistake missing out on this album! Jimmy Ponder used to use a sound like this in the seventies, but I don’t think this is him; an impressionist, perhaps.

14 Well, “a-one, two, three, four” in a French accent – or is it Belgian? Very funky in a way. And everybody got something to say in half a chorus. I like this one a lot. Looking forward to hearing who it is.

A very mixed reaction, I’m afraid, Bob. Some I like a lot, some I dislike a lot, and some that are just plain interesting, even if I feel neutral about them.

Now to see if I can download disc 2 with an intermittent connection. (65% done! Doing well this morning.)

MG

2 This is a nice one. Arrangement is a bit heavy, but the 6/8 groove is there. But halfway through the trumpet solo, the arranger tried to do something clever and it broke the thing up rather badly. They do it again later. Don’t know why they can’t just let the musicians swing. I really don’t know who this is, but it has something of the sound of the Dankworth band as I recall it. But it might be Mike Gibbs, as well. Oh, applause at the end. Must be one of those fake live albums.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Glad you liked it, Al.

MG

Not Dankworth or Gibbs (and it is a real 'live' album) :D

13 Nice start to this. Big band with organ. There’s something familiar about this, but I really don’t recognise it. Ah, I think this is a Rhoda Scott recording I haven’t got (one of many I haven’t got) – the one she did with the Thad Jones band. Yes, I can see it was a mistake missing out on this album! Jimmy Ponder used to use a sound like this in the seventies, but I don’t think this is him; an impressionist, perhaps.

Not Rhoda, but interesting suggestion. It's actually a small-group track but I agree the recording makes it sound bigger. Not Ponder though.

Thanks for your comments MG - some very interesting ones. I never thought of Track 1 as Hammer Horror sountrack stuff but I can hear where you're coming from. The loud trumpet style could also conceivably come from the Kirchin Band, based on what they were doing in the late 50s.

By the way, I was just checking the vinyl transfers on these disks through my system and noticed that the sound was a little on the thin side. Certainly not up to standard of previous transfers. I think I know what has happaned - in upgrading to external phono stage I took out the internal boards in my pre-amp, so the signal going into the soundcard is low-level raw and doesn't have the benefit of going through that stage. Not sure how to get round this one other than putting the boards back in whenever I do vinyl transfers. Sorry for any resultant loss of quality (and as a vinyl hound I'm embarrased :blush: ).

Edited by sidewinder

Going through the individual tracks wouldn't be very helpful, as only a handful of tracks held much appeal for me, and none of them triggered any strong (or even weak) guesses at the musicians. So a few observations:

IMHO, we've exhausted the whole "pick an 'overture' like number for the first track" approach. But of course, YMMV.

Too much flute on this BFT ( ;) ) ... and not enough good old swinging rhythm. Seriously, I felt like a lot of the drummers were too busy, too rock-influenced. Of course, no one ever accused me of being too enamored of post-1965 jazz.

I enjoyed track 3 a lot, track 4 a bit less, the organ on track 13, the piano on track 5.

I'm afraid that's all I got, Bob. Hoping Disc 2 isn't more of the same. :unsure:

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself, man! I didn't notice any inferiorities in the LP transfers; and, I'm not sure anyone's ever batted 1000 with their BFT. In fact, I remember thinking of my own BFTs, the first one (#21) was far superior to the second (#54), and was actually surprised more people enjoyed #54 than I figured.

Like Dan sez, YMMV. Obviously, NHCOT™, but then neither one of us HAFC™! :g

1 Hammer Films strike again! I bet this is that British bandleader whose father was also a bandleader – who also did soundtracks. I know this sounds like Chewy, but I can’t help it.

Oh, and I really dislike it, sorry.

Nope - Not Basil Kirchin (of Ivor and Basil Kirchin fame)

Ah! That's the name.

Wrong, eh? Not a surprise :)

MG