BFT#60 Disk 1

sidewinder

Seriously, I felt like a lot of the drummers were too busy, too rock-influenced. Of course, no one ever accused me of being too enamored of post-1965 jazz.

Yeah, fair point. Maybe I should have put a bit more trad/classic jazz in there.

I'd vote against that. The BFT should have the character of the listener as s/he created it. Granted, perhaps nobody will take part if it's not their bag, but this is a great way to hear music you wouldn't otherwise listen to. Even if Berigan's BFT made me hurt. :blink: As I said in my response, not sure how often I'd listen to any of this again, but it was good to listen to once, just to push my ears outside their comfort zone.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been for sometimes that I actually participated in the BFTs. Well - a new start with number 60 (disc one0

A great compilation, but. I'm afraid, not much for me to recognize ........................

The first track seems to be a Don Ellis production, but I haven't got any idea which one.

9. The flute reminded me to Frank Wess or Sam Most.

10. This Indian influences remind me to Dr. Lloyd Miller and his Oriental jazz or Eastones albums..

I had some problems with burning the albums and I learned that I can't play track 11 up to the end.

I will be the next one to continue this BFT with number 61 next month and I have posted, although a bit early, the signup tread for this BFT today, to have your burned CDRs in time before the end of the month. The links for downloading will follow later.

Keep swinging

Durium

It has been for sometimes that I actually participated in the BFTs. Well - a new start with number 60 (disc one0

A great compilation, but. I'm afraid, not much for me to recognize ........................

The first track seems to be a Don Ellis production, but I haven't got any idea which one.

9. The flute reminded me to Frank Wess or Sam Most.

10. This Indian influences remind me to Dr. Lloyd Miller and his Oriental jazz or Eastones albums..

I had some problems with burning the albums and I learned that I can't play track 11 up to the end.

I will be the next one to continue this BFT with number 61 next month and I have posted, although a bit early, the signup tread for this BFT today, to have your burned CDRs in time before the end of the month. The links for downloading will follow later.

Keep swinging

Durium

Thank you Durium and good that you enjoyed it (which, at the end of the day, is all that counts) !

1. Not Don Ellis !

9. Not Wess or Most !

10. Yes, there is indeed an Indian influence. Not Dr. Lloyd Miller though.. :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late I know... played once while at work, no googling, no access to CDs, just some first-time impressions:

#1 - Nice opening, crime-jazzy, but then it turns into a straight yet still very moody big band chart. Sparse orchestration, like this one! No clue who/what it could be, but I'd guess anywhere from the late 50s to the late 60s, hard to tell. Quite some dissonances in those crying high brass intermezzi, but the main focus is on the deep instruments, bass very prominent (no piano)... hm, could this be a Gil Evans track? The mood and the dynamics and all would fit, also the woodwinds in there... lovely!

#2 - More similar stuff, latin beat, snaky soprano, fat trombones... and then a lyrical trumpet solo, very nice! The soprano has a soft sound a bit weak and insecure it seems, some small glitches at the end of lines, but I like that sound! Ah, oguns, too! Gets pretty dis-organized but I like it... ah yes, and only now during the quiet flute part I notice it's a waltz.

#3 - One of Pres' boys, I guess... Quinichette? Doesn't sound much like one of the "brothers". That moment where he goes down to the lower end of the sax is nice, also bits of honking - those elements were important in Pres' style but with Sims, Cohn etc they sort of got smoothed out a bit (maybe transformed into a more forward-leaning style?)

#4 - What's this bass lick? Cream? Sunshine of Your Love or what? This was over before I really started listening, but I think it's not one of my favourite cuts so no repeat for the moment...

#5 - More moody stuff, vibes, sounds a bit like late 60s Herbie Hancock. I don't think it's him though.

#6 - Move sixties stuff... interesting alto solo, touched by the new wave, not Spaulding? Good one, tenor is nice as well, piano goes into some Cecil Taylor touches below for a moment... what I don't quite get is the electric bass, mostly just running straight through, rather boring.

#7 - Is soft guitars kind of a theme here? Lovely opening! Nice bass trombone! This sounds familiar, on the verge of kitsch, again from the mid/late 60s I'd guess.

#8 - Again a less restrained cut... more good alto here! Nice sound, ripe yet not too, pushing a bit, yet not really going out. Good piano, Tyner-esque. Interesting, this one and #6!

#9 - Obviously "Ill Wind"... sounds good! Lovely beat! Good voice, sounds familiar but I can't pin her down.

#10 - Oh, sitar and tabla... and piano - a misfit somehow, but as it goes on I kind of start to like it. Ah well, that's what I was afraid of... violin, electric bass, drab fusion beat... then the tabla player speaks along as he plays... I've never seen an Indian do that in a classical setting, but what do I know (*). It's all too easy for my tastes, a kind of jazz-rock I don't get much from, and the inclusion of some Indian touches don't change much about that, I'm afraid. Trumpet solo is pretty boring, but then how could you get inspired in this setting? Sorry, not quite my cup of tea...

#11 - This one starts out nice, with that twangy singing guitar and the woodwinds and then the strings... I seem to hear a lot of Gil Evans influence on this disc by now. Though when the strings come in bigtime, this is far removed from Gil's sound paintings. Not a favourite track

#12 - The riff is from Coltrane's version of "Body and Soul" (on that great Atlantic album, one of his finest, not well-known enough it seems...), Trane also spells his shadow on the tenor sax here, but his sound on "Body and Soul" was much harsher and the general mood much less warm than here (Dexter used that going down and up again chord-riff as well, for instance I think on "Homecoming"). I don't think this performance lines in with the great tenor versions of this song (Hawk, Chu Berry...), but it's not at all bad! Tyner casts his shadow on the pianist, but again it's a pretty nice solo.

#13 - More guitar, oh, and synth... yucky stuff again, I'm afraid. This isn't a real organ, is it? It's in five, but still it's all too smooth for my taste. The drummer sounds quite good though (thinking of it, there seem to be some nice drummers at work on this disc!). Hm, as the solo gets going, it starts sounding like a real organ, still very light and little volume (no low-range). Ok, I kind of like the organ, but not the guitar, not at all, sorry.

#14 - Good groove here, nice piano opening! Kind of fits my "stoopid music" bag! Good tenor solo - at one spot it sounds like he's soloing on top of a samba band or something, very nice! Ah here comes the trumpet, very nice and soft sound! Great closing track!

All in all, a nice listen

(*) the weirdest example of this can be found on the strange Blue Note Dolphy compilation "Other Aspects", the Indian track there sounds so very amateurish, and the tabla playing is just ridiculous as I remember it!

Edited by king ubu

Some interesting comments and good suggestions there, Ubu. I'm glad you like the Bill Russo and yes, some of the voicings are a bit Gil Evans-ish. I'm reminded also of Kenny Wheeler's orchestration style and of course - I'm sure he was also strongly influenced by Russo (indede he is in the lineup on 'Stonehenge').

Interesting suggestion of Paul Quinichette on track 3 - certainly not inconceivable that it could have been him.