Bill Evans with Hubbard and Zoot

papsrus

Thanks. ... Not being really big into Evans other than his better-known trio and solo albums I just wasn't aware of him playing in any quintet sessions, really -- other than Miles Davis. Hall intrigues me as much as Hubbard and Sims.

in that huge fantasy sale a few years ago i got - since i am not a big piano solo or trio fan - mostly the larger enseble evans discs, the hubbard and sims, quintessence with harold land and kenny burrell and the quintet disc with konitz and marsh... haven't played them in quite some time but iirc concerning the sound of the group i even liked the sims disc best... (in the liner notes keepsnews mentions it wasn't clever in retrospect to let hubbard mostly play standards and sims mostly play unknown to him originals... (and that evans needed money badly at that time and recorded maybe a bit to much))... i wouldn't hesitate with the sims session too much, great players, great material, some great moments... (the album with hubbard is much smoother)

Thanks. ... Not being really big into Evans other than his better-known trio and solo albums I just wasn't aware of him playing in any quintet sessions, really -- other than Miles Davis. Hall intrigues me as much as Hubbard and Sims.

Do you have his sideman dates w/Oliver Nelson & George Russell? Or w/the Tony Scott quintet w/Jimmy Knepper?

Highly recommended, all of them. Some of my most favorite Evans, possibly my most favorite.

Do you have his sideman dates w/Oliver Nelson & George Russell? Or w/the Tony Scott quintet w/Jimmy Knepper?

Highly recommended, all of them. Some of my most favorite Evans, possibly my most favorite.

I have very little Evans. Just the Village Vanguard sets, I believe. I'll check into these, thanks.

I have very little Evans. Just the Village Vanguard sets, I believe. I'll check into these, thanks.

Correction .. also the Adderley disc. "Know What I Mean?"

Anyways, the idea of Evans in what I imagine is a little more laid back quintet with Hall-Hubbard and Hall-Sims is what initially caught my interest.

Anyways, the idea of Evans in what I imagine is a little more laid back quintet with Hall-Hubbard and Hall-Sims is what initially caught my interest.

Evans w/horns has usually struck me as more "aggressive" than Evans without. Mileages might vary on that one though.

One thing for sure - Evans was a great comper, so any chance to hear him play behind anybody besides his bassists & drummers is always a treat.

I have Interplay on OJC/Riverside - great album!

The session with Zoot seems largely to have passed me by. All I have is a single track, "Loose Blues", tacked onto a Milestone Evans twofer, Peace Piece and Other Pieces. Contrary to popular expectations, the rapport between Evans and PJJ is evident throughout.

As to other Evans dates with horns, the first that come to mind are The Great Kai and J. J. (Impulse) and Art Farmer's Modern Art (Blue Note reissue).

As this seems to be turning into a "best of Bill Evans" thread, I'll just mention a few others, so far not listed. The general wisdom that early or late Bill Evans is best leads me to mention Portrait in Jazz and Explorations for early and the two vols of Paris Concerts for late. My favorite solo Evans are the two-vol Solo Sessions from 1963.

I've just played the Interplay sessions for the first time in.. quite a while. I actually enjoyed the Zoot date more despite the fact it was said be be fraught with problems. Bill digs in on the Hubbard date especially and I guess that may be due to Phily Joe's presence.