Prince Lasha RIP

Niko

don't know where to find this officially, but the great prince lasha died on december 11 at the age of 79...

p_lasha66.jpg

don't know much of his works but his two contemporary albums with sonny simmons are some of my favorite records; recently i got the twofer with his enja albums and love it as well

a biography/discography is on the sonny simmons homepage

http://www.sonnysimmons.org/lasha.htm

and here is a great interview by our own clifford...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19743

dustygroove has lasha's 1965 album scheduled for reissue next year, btw

http://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?labe...&format=all

Prince Lasha Ensemble : Insight

(CBS BPG62409) rec. 65.12.01

p. 1966

Nuttin' Out Jones - Out Of Nowhere - Body And Soul - Impressions Of Eric Dolphy - Everything Happens To Me - Just Friends.

Prince Lasha : flute, alto sax. David Snell : harp. Chris Bateson : trumpet. John Mumford : trombone. Stan Tracey : piano. Jeff Clyne, Dave Willis, Rick Laird : drums. Joe Oliver : drums.

Rec. in London, UK.

a great, more recent photo on wikipedia, don't know how to put it here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Wanda_Sabir.jpg

Sad news indeed.

Thanks for the links - will have to read the interview.

That 1965 album looks... ahem, interesting? Lasha with harp and Stan Tracey's gang... who are the trumpet and trombone player, anyone knows them?

when you read the interview (like i just did) you'll find it has an extensive section on that album, for instance

"Chris Bateson has a round, full trumpet tone that reminds me of Idrees Sulieman, who I used to play with in New York. And John Mumford played wonderfully relaxed trombone—his conception is very individual."

Three somewhat rare LPs (I would guess) that I have were released on the Birdseye label and are titled "Prince Lawsha (note the spelling): FIREBIRDS - LIVE AT BERKELEY JAZZ FESTIVAL", Vols. 1, 2, & 3. Vol. 1's personnel includes Hadley Caliman, Bobby Hutcherson, Buster Williams and Charles Moffett. Vol. 2 has Hubert Eaves, Ron Carter, Roy McCurdy and Kenneth Nash, recorded May '74. Vol. 3 includes Sonny Simmons, Hutcherson, Buster Williams & Moffett. Dates for Vol. 1 & 3 are not stated, but probaly also occurred in the early '70s. Some really great moments on a number of extended tracks. Have any of these been released on CD?

OH NO.

I hadn't talked to him in about a year and was meaning to call him for a belated birthday wish.

He was a friend and we had many great conversations about music, life and spirituality. He would even call up my then-girlfriend (this was about 2005) and wish her well and tell her to keep supporting my writing. What a dear, dear man and a great loss.

I'll miss you, Peasant Prince - from "Allen's Alley."

Just in case, here's the short note from Denis Gonzalez that spread the news on Sunday - it goes back to John Handy spreading the news:

John Handy, Bay Area saxophonist has announced that the legendary flutist/saxophonist Prince Lasha passed away in Oakland, CA (Dec.11). Many people will remember his own recordings (especially with Sonny Simmons) and his associations on records with Eric Dolphy, Elvin Jones, Dennis Gonzalez, and many others and in later years with Odean Pope. Lasha was born William Lawsha in Forth Worth, Texas on Sept. 10, 1929. Lasha (pronounced La-shay) went to school and was a boyhood friend of Ornette Coleman.

I have a vague memory of seeing him perform with a violinist in the early '60s. (Many of my memories from the '60s are vague.) And it's interesting that John Handy made the announcement of his death, because I think Handy was at that gig too.

Edited by medjuck

Three somewhat rare LPs (I would guess) that I have were released on the Birdseye label and are titled "Prince Lawsha (note the spelling): FIREBIRDS - LIVE AT BERKELEY JAZZ FESTIVAL", Vols. 1, 2, & 3. Vol. 1's personnel includes Hadley Caliman, Bobby Hutcherson, Buster Williams and Charles Moffett. Vol. 2 has Hubert Eaves, Ron Carter, Roy McCurdy and Kenneth Nash, recorded May '74. Vol. 3 includes Sonny Simmons, Hutcherson, Buster Williams & Moffett. Dates for Vol. 1 & 3 are not stated, but probaly also occurred in the early '70s. Some really great moments on a number of extended tracks. Have any of these been released on CD?

the one with eaves is identical to one of the enja albums (search for tomorrow) and is out on a twofer cd with inside story... no cd reissues of the others afaik

Oh Damn - yet more really sad news. Always really enjoyed his work, both the Prince Lasha only albums and the ones with Sonny Simmons.

I was hoping we'd hear a bit more about his sojourn in UK via Clifford but I guess it was not meant to be. :(

Tonight therefore I'll dig out 'Insight' on UK CBS, the Vol 2 of his 'Firebirds Live' LPs for Birdseye and also the 'Firebirds' LP for Contemporary. What a shame - RIP Prince Lasha.

Edited by sidewinder

I was hoping we'd hear a bit more about his sojourn in UK via Clifford but I guess it was not meant to be. :(

Yeah, all I got was what was in the interview at AAJ. I got the feeling that he really liked it over in the UK and that Insight was one of his favorite records. Of course, one of mine too - thankfully it'll be reissued, if I am not mistaken.

Enja 9131-2 has 2 groups. Hancock,McBee and Lovelace from early 1965 ( 5) tracks and the Vol 2 group above (3) tracks

i regret never having seen lasha perform live, but i have enjoyed searching out and listening to his recordings over the past few years. right now, i'm listening to it is revealed, which also features sonny simmons, clifford jordan, don cherry, fred lyman, bill wood, orwille harrisson, and charles moffett. very moving, intense, and spiritual music.

rest in peace, william lawsha.

right now, i'm listening to it is revealed, which also features sonny simmons, clifford jordan, don cherry, fred lyman, bill wood, orwille harrisson, and charles moffett. very moving, intense, and spiritual music.

Is that one on CD? I remember the existence of a bootleg LP but never saw a copy.

I've never seen this one. Would certainly love to hear it.

I'll be featuring some of Prince Lasha's music tonight (Tuesday) on

"Spirits Rejoice" radio, WHFR-FM Dearborn/Detroit 6-10pm est

http://whfr.fm

Edited by Frisco