Sir Roland Hanna on Choice Records

six string

I bought a copy of this yesterday and was curious about the label. Did they do other jazz releases? The sound quality is really excellent and the quality of the vinyl is above average in looks and finish. It looks like a labor of love as opposed to someone trying to make a fast buck.

I forgot to mention the title. It's called Sir Elf.

Btw the performance is really good too. He really seems to have command over the instrument.

Edited by six string

A listing of releases on the choice label can be found here:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Labels/choice.htm

I bought a copy of this yesterday and was curious about the label. Did they do other jazz releases? The sound quality is really excellent and the quality of the vinyl is above average in looks and finish. It looks like a labor of love as opposed to someone trying to make a fast buck.

I forgot to mention the title. It's called Sir Elf.

Btw the performance is really good too. He really seems to have command over the instrument.

So this is not the Choice Records that was owned by Ozzie Cadena - their numbers ran in the 500 series. Whose label is this? And when was it around?

MG

Choice was a one man operation owned by Gerry McDonald. Gerry served as his own engineer and was a very nice guy. In the '50s Gerry worked for a tape recorder company (maybe Concord) and had one of the first stereo recorders on the West Coast. Dick Bock let him set up his machine at some PJ sessions to try it out. Years ago he told me he still had the tapes. He was very proud of his version of Hoagy Sings Carmichael and vowed to issue it some day.

Is the quality of the vinyl in terms of looks and playback high across the boards? I was really impressed with the Hanna lp.

The lp has 1973 on the label.

I re-listened to the Jimmy Giuffre this morning, and indeed the vinyl and the recording quality were first rate. Very nice sound.

So this is not the Choice Records that was owned by Ozzie Cadena - their numbers ran in the 500 series. Whose label is this? And when was it around?

MG

Choice was a one man operation owned by Gerry McDonald. Gerry served as his own engineer and was a very nice guy. In the '50s Gerry worked for a tape recorder company (maybe Concord) and had one of the first stereo recorders on the West Coast. Dick Bock let him set up his machine at some PJ sessions to try it out. Years ago he told me he still had the tapes. He was very proud of his version of Hoagy Sings Carmichael and vowed to issue it some day.

Thanks Chuck. How interesting that there is a completely different set of tapes for that session.

MG

The Choice label referred to here was started by Gerry McDonald. He was a saxophonist originally from Montreal, and a life-long friend of Oscar Peterson. He was a member of the Johnny Holmes band when the teenage Peterson was the pianist.

McDonald is the man responsible for the November 1955 "Live at Zardi's" recordings of the OP trio with Herb Ellis and Ray Brown. I have the domestic Pablo release (2PACD-2620-118-2) which identifies the Granz-ubiquitous Val Valentine as the engineer, but it was McDonald.

I used to have the original German release of it -- Oscar heard me playing in on the air before it came out on this side of the Atlantic, and phoned to ask "Where did you get that material -- it's not supposed to be released!" When I told him it was the German one, he simply said "Oh, okay."

Since that version is not in my hand, I don't remember if McDonald is properly credited. The material is identified in Gene Lees' OP biography The Will To Swing, and Lees further identifies him as the man "who later became a recording engineer and founded the Choice record label".

I don't recall any other label with that name...

I don't recall any other label with that name...

The other Choice was based in Newark and run by Ozzie Cadena in the sixties. I think there were some twenty or so releases, the first 16 of which were mainly Gospel, with a few Blues, and mostly 1960-1962 vintage. He did some Jazz stuff (and a bit more Gospel) in the late sixties.

Cadena was a record producer at Savoy and Prestige.

MG

Cadena was a record producer at Savoy and Prestige.

MG

I know Cadena well enough, just not a label named "Choice" that he had... Thanks.

(In the Lord Jazz Discography, the only "Choice" referred to is the McDonald one).

Apart fron the two Charles Earland LPs, which are the only jazz issues I know about, the rest of the catalogue has no business in a jazz discography. Quite a bit is in the Hayes & Laughton Gospel discography for 1943-1969.

MG

Here are the Choice issues I have:

CDs:

Bud Shank: Live at the Haig Choice 71030

LPs:

Joanne Brackeen with Eddie Gomez: Prism Choice 1024

Sir Roland Hanna: Sir Elf Choice 1003

Sir Roland Hanna & George Mraz: Sir Elf Plus 1 Choice 1018

Roger Kellaway: Ain't Misbehavin' Choice 6833

Adam Makowicz: From My Window Choice 1028

Lenny Popkin: Falling Free Choice 1027

Zoot Sims: Zoot Sims' Party Choice 1006

Chuck Wayne/Joe Puma: Interactions Choice 1004

Edited by Ken Dryden

Here are the Choice issues I have:

CDs:

Bud Shank: Live at the Haig Choice 71030

LPs:

Joanne Brackeen with Eddie Gomez: Prism Choice 1024

Sir Roland Hanna: Sir Elf Choice 1003

Sir Roland Hanna & George Mraz: Sir Elf Plus 1 Choice 1018

Roger Kellaway: Ain't Misbehavin' Choice 6833

Adam Makowicz: From My Window Choice 1028

Lenny Popkin: Falling Free Choice 1027

Zoot Sims: Zoot Sims' Party Choice 1006

Chuck Wayne/Joe Puma: Interactions Choice 1004

Ladies and Gentelmen, I think we have a winner in the "who has the most Choice lps." :lol:

Speaking of which I saw another version of the Sir Elf album today. It had a different cover and it appeared to be reissued or distributed by Innercity Records.

These are the ones I have, all on LP:

1003 Hanna, Roland - Sir Elf

1004 Wayne, Chuck & Joe Puma - Interactions

1005 Feldman, Victor - Your Smile

1006 Sims, Zoot - Zoot Sims' Party

1008 DeFranco, Buddy - Free Sail

1009 Brackeen, Joanne - Snooze

1010 Haig, Al - Strings Attached

1013 Phillips, Flip - Phillips' Head

1014 Rowles, Jimmy - Grandpaws

1016 Brackeen, Joanne - Tring-A-Ling

1017 DeFranco, Buddy - Waterbed

1018 Hanna, Roland - Sir Elf+1

1019 Konitz, Lee - Tenorlee

1022 Mosca, Sal - For You

1023 Rowles, Jimmy - Paws That Refresh

1024 Brackeen, Joanne - Prism

6830 Shank, Bud - Live at the Haig

The Shank was issued in 1985 - years after the others. It was distributed through Bainbridge. Hence the different numbering series. The 1000 series was also issued through Inner City in the 1980's. These had different cover art & design than the originals.

• 2 months later...