musicians playing an ENTIRE session NOT on their primary instrument

Rooster_Ties

Scott Robinson C-melody Sax on "Melody From The Sky"

Jimmy Giuffre plays Baritone Sax on "Lennie Niehaus The Sextet"

Maynard Ferguson plays valve trombone on "Bud Shank and 3 Trombones"

Med Flory plays baritone sax on "Dave Pell Octet Plays Again"

Sahib Shihab plays alto Sax on "Curtis Fuller And Hampton Hawes With French Horns"

Barney Wilen plays alto sax on "Art Blakey Paris Jam Session"

Mike LeDonne plays Hammond B-3 on "Smokin" Out Loud"

Don Thompson plays vibes and piano on "Ask Me Later"

Richie Kamuca plays alto sax on "Charlie"

Don Menza plays alto and baritone sax on "Hip Pocket"

Edited by Peter Friedman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does Woody Herman singing an entire album count?

If that's the one on which he sings "If I could be with you one hour tonight", a neighbour had it in the early sixties and I think from memory he actually does some clarinet playing, too. So if he did, it's the same as Milt Jackson's "Soul believer" and Les McCann's "Les McCann sings" - don't count.

MG

don't remember - there's a cover pic of him and a woman - I've got a nice scratched copy somewhere-

525317D9DAF048B08C686F45A316F557.jpg

There's also a Columbia album with a sleeping Woody Herman in a chair with a woman--Music For Tired Lovers, Love Songs Sung by Woody Herman with Erroll Garner. I haven't worked up the courage to listen to this one.

Peter Friedman mentioned Scott Robinson on C-melody sax, bringing to mind an LP (was it ever on CD) where he played everything...all the brass, all the reeds, all the rhythm. He seems to like odd instruments: helicon tuba, slide trumpet, double-bell euphonium, rotary-valved posthorn, ophicleide...

Victor Feldman also did a '60s LP on which he played "Everything In Sight" as the cover picture showed, mostly various keyboards and every percussion instrument you can think of...

James Morrison, the Australian phenom, did a big band record "Snappy Doo" where he plays everything but gtr/bass/dms 'cause he had Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Jeff Hamilton to do that. He also wrote all the charts...

"There's also a Columbia album with a sleeping Woody Herman in a chair with a woman--Music For Tired Lovers, Love Songs Sung by Woody Herman with Erroll Garner. I haven't worked up the courage to listen to this one."

THAT'S the one. It's not bad, if I remember correctly -

Yes, that's the one I remember. The version I saw was on Philips, so that would be the Columbia album.

MG

If we're going to note individual tunes (as opposed to entire sessions), then this is going to be one HUGE thread. :o

That's why I started the thread to be about entire sessions (or "nearly entire" sessions), where somebody ain't playin' what they normally do.

That's what I figured (trying to stem the tide).