Upcoming Blue Note reissues

Daniel A

Any "issues" with any of these? I want to get Stop and Listen and Some Other Stuff, but wanted to make sure the end of "Saturday and Sunday" isn't tacked on anywhere.

Edited by B. Clugston

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I did a "correction" thing with Blue Note, they mailed me a replacement disc, that was all there was to it.

thanks for letting me know, Lon.

Has anyone heard yet whether a replacement disc for One Step Beyond is available?

Too soon. I'd wait at least another month.

The last time I did a "correction" thing with Blue Note, they mailed me a replacement disc, that was all there was to it.

Has anyone heard yet whether a replacement disc for One Step Beyond is available?

I've been searching Blue Note's site and other various places on the internet every day for information on this. If anyone should hear about a replacement disc, please either post it here or on the breakout thread that I had created for this. Thanks!

I've been searching Blue Note's site and other various places on the internet every day for information on this. If anyone should hear about a replacement disc, please either post it here or on the breakout thread that I had created for this. Thanks!

Word from Jerry Roche (head of Mighty Quinn) at Mosaic is that the One Step Beyond correction will take about another month.

It sure seems to me like a little quality control would save them the expense of repeatedly having to make these corrections. Doesn't anyone there bother to check the final product before it goes out? Hell, send 'em to me, I'll do it for free. I want to see Blue Note succeed as much as anyone. :)

• 8 months later...

Hey gang, couple questons:

1. Anyone know if the "One Step Beyond" disc was eventually replaced?

2. I'm trying to process a lot of information for some year-end best-of lists and I'd like to hear opinions on the relative pre-2009 availibility of the following Blue Note reissues in any other reasonable editions. I haven't followed the comings and goings of these things as closely as many of you, and in judging the relative merit of these reissues it would be helpful to know if any have been especially hard to come by in recent years. Here are the ones I'm curious about:

One Step Beyond

Some Other Stuff

Spring

Green Street

Bluesnik

Thanks in advance for your obsessiveness.

They did fix One Step Beyond.

You should be able to find the others. Have you done a search of the usual suspects (amazon, cd universe, Blue Note site,etc.)?

I'm not sure I was clear enough with my second question: I'm trying to get a handle on whether these records were generally available (or not) prior to their reissue this year. Clearly, they're all available now. I'm trying to judge their value at least partially on whether they were previously out of print or unavailable for, say, 2 years, 5, years, 10 years, whatever. The notion is: The harder they were to acquire before this year, the more valuable their reissue becomes (leaving aside, of course, their relative merit artistically).

Edited by Mark Stryker

Okay I didn't read your post closely.

In this internet age of used cds from amazon, ebay, half.com etc. I really wouldn't have called these particular ones hard to find at "reasonable" (say 15 to 20 dollars) prices. One Step Beyond may have been the hardest to find(?)

In this internet age of used cds from amazon, ebay, half.com etc. I really wouldn't have called these particular ones hard to find at "reasonable" (say 15 to 20 dollars) prices. One Step Beyond may have been the hardest to find(?)

Yes, this is what I was trying to gauge, thanks. If anyone else has an opinion, please jump in.

Yes, this is what I was trying to gauge, thanks. If anyone else has an opinion, please jump in.

All have been available prior to the RVG reissues within the last 10 years. How long any have been oop previously is anyone's guess. I know the Moncur was highly sought after when it came out as a Conn 10-12 years ago.

I think everything was in print except for the McLean, Willette and the Moncur. With RVG editions, I've noticed in most cases, this drives the prices down on previously OOP cds not up.

Edited by Holy Ghost