Buddy De Franco 'Blues Bag'

sidewinder

Just discovering the considerable pleasures of 'Blues Bag' by Buddy De Franco. Recorded in the mid-60s and originally released on Vee-Jay. The first shocker is to hear De Franco concentrating on (and superbly I might add) the bass clarinet. The second shock was to hear the characteristic groove and rim-shots of Art Blakey. Indeed, the line-up includes a nicely on-form Lee Morgan, Victor Sproles on bass and - another suprise - Victor Feldman on piano. It all sounds wonderful and anyone enjoying the RVG of 'Indestructable' on the other thread will probably like this one too.

I know this title has come up sporadically on other threads but anyone else have opinions of this one? I guess the Blakey/De Franco connection from the early 50s group led to a reunion on this one. Interesting also to read Art's very complementary views of Buddy as musician and person in the Mosaic booklet.

:tup

Someone posted elsewhere on this board the twofer CD by Blue Moon has better sound than the Koch single CD.

It's terrific, one of my two desert island bass clarinet albums.

I would agree. I bought the 2fer and sold the single disc. The Yusef Lateef album that makes up the other half is not too shabby either!

I picked up "Blues Bag" because I am a nut for the bass clarinet. I was even more pleased to find the tunes list included Coltrane and Ornette. Nice!

When I heard the first track ('Blues Bag') played in an LP shop (the owner was trying to see if I could guess the artist - he won..) with De Franco on bass clarinet and Victor Feldman on vibes I thought he had uncovered some obscure Dolphy/Hutcherson date ! Track 2 ('Rain Dance') gave the game away though. A superb solo from Morgan at his half-valve finest, great contribution from Curtis and fireworks from 'Abdullah Buhaina' (at least that's what he's called on my LP sleeve).

Gee - I just love this album.. :wub:

BTW this is one of the finest blues-themed jazz albums ever. Except for the pretty "Rain Dance" which nevertheless has some bluesy inflections, all are blues based, and what a selection of composers: Monk, Coleman, Coltrane, Feather ....

Yes, very interesting and far-ranging choice of covers.

BTW, nice animated 'Flip' Mike! :D

Someone posted elsewhere on this board the twofer CD by Blue Moon has better sound than the Koch single CD.

It's terrific, one of my two desert island bass clarinet albums.

just picked this up per the recs here. :tup

excellent disc. very fresh reading of blues connotation!

anyone able to compare the koch to the blue moon? this koch sounds as if there's about five ton of goose down in the mix. :tdown someone must have leaned on the bass knob, shows how great van gelder allowed blakey to sound!!!