Morgan's 'Lee-way'

tonym

Just picked this up today at local HMV for £4.99 (which is probably about $4.99 given the strength of Sterling).

I have only 4 or 5 other Morgans with some others as sideman.

It states that it was his only release as leader between Candy which is very 'bold' IMO and 'The Sidewinder'; which is obviously very 'funky'.

So I'm assuming that he must have been working with Blakey a lot during this time. This maybe explains the general feel of the album that I've sensed so far. A bit like 'Moanin'' without the unforgettable tunes.

Am I not alone in thinking Timmons' piano is really back in the mix, but that he holds this album together a lot....along with Chambers who must have been recording everyday around this point!

I like it so far, the tribute tune 'The Lion & the Wolf' appears the most thought through from what I've heard so far.

So, given the recent divided opinions about 'Charisma' is this a must have for some of you while for others it's a turkey?

Thanks, tonym.

It states that it was his only release as leader between Candy which is very 'bold' IMO and 'The Sidewinder'; which is obviously very 'funky'.

So I'm assuming that he must have been working with Blakey a lot during this time. This maybe explains the general feel of the album that I've sensed so far. A bit like 'Moanin'' without the unforgettable tunes.

I believe there was another date issued on Riverside entitled TAKE TWELVE, which was issued between LEEWAY and THE SIDEWINDER, possibly in 1962 (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't actually have that album).

No he wasn't working with Blakey during that period '61-'63; he was basically off the music scene altogether, having to cope with his bad heroin addiction. Lee eventually straightened himself out enough to start recording again in '63; I believe Moncur's EVOLUTION was the first session he played on. He returned to play in Blakey's group from 1964 thru 1966. At least that's how I understand things.

I have always loved LEEWAY, a great recording. To me, even on his best recordings Morgan sometimes succumbed to the "I'm going to play my hot licks for the people whether the situation demands it or not" mentality. On LEEWAY, he just seems to have abandoned that and ends up sounding far more thoughtful and restrained (in the positive sense) than usual. I like the symmetry of the album too, 2 great songs per side, with the wonderful Massey pieces bracketing two of Lee's (not his most memorable, but functional). McLean sounds wonderful as always, and I don't even find myself minding Timmons who often got on my nerves. A winner.

I believe there was another date issued on Riverside entitled TAKE TWELVE, which was issued between LEEWAY and THE SIDEWINDER, possibly in 1962 (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't actually have that album).

No he wasn't working with Blakey during that period '61-'63; he was basically off the music scene altogether, having to cope with his bad heroin addiction. Lee eventually straightened himself out enough to start recording again in '63; I believe Moncur's EVOLUTION was the first session he played on. He returned to play in Blakey's group from 1964 thru 1966. At least that's how I understand things.

My early-80s Prestige vinyl copy of 'Take Twelve' confirms that it was originally released as Jazzland JLP-80. It's a nice session - captures Lee just as he was starting to work on the darker, more thematic material which would blossom on 'Search For The New Land' back on Blue Note. The recording date for 'Take Twelve' is Jan 24th 1962 and lineup has Clifford Jordan, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw and Louis Hayes. Recommended !

To say it's a must date might be a little strong. I like some of his work with Benny Golson better but it's a very good date. One of those albums that you could say is the apotheosis of hard bop. I know there are those who hate it. Just to hear the other side, I'd like to see their views. Actually, back at the BNBB there was a quite lively discussion when the RVG was first announced.