Ever had a dream so vivid, you checked to make sure it was only a drea

Big Al

Last night, I dreamt I got a phone call from a friend saying Pudge Rodriguez killed himself because he made five errors in one game. The whole dream was a strange experience to begin with, but that part felt so real I checked espn.com just to be sure it was only a dream. Thank God it was; Pudge appears to be alive and well.

Ever have something like that happen to you?

a few weeks ago i played a new allen lowe cd in a dream and after waking up i believed i actually owned the cd for a few minutes (maybe not a brand new one actually, since there was no grey hair and he had a short braid (right word?)), don't remember many details, the lineup was something like tenor, guitar, piano, bass, drums... and all i remember about the music (now that a few weeks have passed) is that i thought this is exactly the type of music i hope for when buying a gene ammons album (but have always been disappointed so far))

I had the same thing happen to me last summer during the Beijing Olympic games.

I woke up at about 4 AM a Saturday night and I thought I had heard loud cheering by a huge crowd in the distance. I remained semi-asleep.

My immediate thought was that the Luxembourg bicycle champion Frank Schleck had just won the gold medal during the race that night (some competitions in Bejing took place in the early morning hours in Europe), and that crowds where gathering in the city centre to celebrate this big victory, the first summer Olympic games medal for Luxembourg since 1952. I fell back asleep again, happy.

When I woke up in the late morning, my first thought was to check the internet for news on this great moment. But then, it slowly occured to me that this didn't make sense, that I would have watched the race on TV, and that no crowds would gather in the night even for such an event.

a few weeks ago i played a new allen lowe cd in a dream and after waking up i believed i actually owned the cd for a few minutes (maybe not a brand new one actually, since there was no grey hair and he had a short braid (right word?)), don't remember many details, the lineup was something like tenor, guitar, piano, bass, drums... and all i remember about the music (now that a few weeks have passed) is that i thought this is exactly the type of music i hope for when buying a gene ammons album (but have always been disappointed so far))

talking about Allen & Dreams made me irremediably think of that ole tune:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=atWNUy9OWmE

ps: happy new year everyone.

Had one of those last night and wish I hadn't. Earth was being attacked by apparently unstoppable swarms of insects (locust-like, but they also had the ability to directly harm human beings with stingers and such) that may or may not have been controlled by intelligent aliens. In response, our government had rounded up lots of their own people -- including myself, my son, and my late wife (who was alive in the dream) -- and was holding us in very crowded conditions, not enough room to lie down, etc. -- and soon it dawned us that probably we were all going to be killed by our own government, either in an attempt to appease the attacking swarms or to relieve the government of the burden of our presence, or just out of sheer fear and craziness, and that this was going to take place by having the floor under our feet drop away, dumping us into some medium that would kill us. And all the while, new swarms of hostile destructive insects loomed on the horizon. Through all of this, given what seemed the likely outcome, my wife and my son and I were in effect saying our good-byes, while I wondered whether there was anything I could do, other than just wait for the inevitable. It all felt very real, especially because I kept waking up and then going back into the dream when I fell asleep again. Help.

Had one of those last night and wish I hadn't. Earth was being attacked by apparently unstoppable swarms of insects (locust-like, but they also had the ability to directly harm human beings with stingers and such) that may or may not have been controlled by intelligent aliens. In response, our government had rounded up lots of their own people -- including myself, my son, and my late wife (who was alive in the dream) -- and was holding us in very crowded conditions, not enough room to lie down, etc. -- and soon it dawned us that probably we were all going to be killed by our own government, either in an attempt to appease the attacking swarms or to relieve the government of the burden of our presence, or just out of sheer fear and craziness, and that this was going to take place by having the floor under our feet drop away, dumping us into some medium that would kill us. And all the while, new swarms of hostile destructive insects loomed on the horizon. Through all of this, given what seemed the likely outcome, my wife and my son and I were in effect saying our good-byes, while I wondered whether there was anything I could do, other than just wait for the inevitable. It all felt very real, especially because I kept waking up and then going back into the dream when I fell asleep again. Help.

Too bad Alfred Hitchcock isn't around anymore; he could make a great movie out of this! I mean, you had ME hooked!

Sounds like Larry is onto Plan A. Quick scramble and implement Plan B. (By the way, anyone read Chester Himes' Plan B? Wild apocalpytic stuff.)

I did have one of those dreams when I was considerably younger. I dreamed my cat had died. It was incredibly vivid and it took quite a while to wake up and recover.

Sounds like Larry is onto Plan A. Quick scramble and implement Plan B. (By the way, anyone read Chester Himes' Plan B? Wild apocalpytic stuff.)

I did have one of those dreams when I was considerably younger. I dreamed my cat had died. It was incredibly vivid and it took quite a while to wake up and recover.

Actually, now that I think of it, my ultimate "do something" response in the dream was to say "Well, I'll guess I'll go to work" (in the dream I still worked at a newspaper) -- which kind of made sense but also didn't; made sense because newspapers still try function under conditions of disaster, but it didn't make sense because how did I think I was going to get to the newspaper office under these conditions? Also, saying this was very poignant, because it seemed so likely that these would be last words I'd say to my wife and son -- on the other hand, we all were sure there was no help, so why not? It was, we felt, almost arbitrary -- like the difference between waiting to be killed and being killed while charging the enemy.

Thanks for that - I think Randy Johnston is the best guitarist for Lou nowadays. A LOT more right than Peter Bernstein. And I loved the last verse, where Lou, as usual, dreamed he was in the White House and Bush waked in and Lou says, "I don't wanna see you; messin' up my social security!"

Now, I had a dream like that one a couple of weeks ago. It was so effin' STUPID that, in my dream, I said, "what the hell am I wasting my time dreaming of this for? I should be dreaming of music, or having sex with an extremely accommodating young lady! I'm not going put up with this rubbish! I'm going to wake up!" And I did.

MG

Hello Larry. I represent a little known grammatical policing organization known colloquially as "The Dangling Modifiers". While reading your initial post on this thread, we were troubled to find a reference to "...human beings with stingers and such." As this appears unlikely, we can only assume that a modifier has, in fact, been dangled. We ask that you acknowledge your oversight so that those who are reading your post will not be confused and/or concerned by such a reference. We are cutting you some slack, as we understand that you are an author and appear to be more than capable of conveying your thoughts clearly via the written word.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Up over and out.

my late mother comes to me in my dreams about once a month - strange thing is that these are casual dreams - just little conversations about daily events - and real. I usually wake up talking in my sleep. But there's nothing less than casual about our conversations.

though she did once demand an apology from Nessa -

Al, I have had a few dreams like that...one that I can recall...right now, is one about 20 years ago that while watching a news report, I heard them say that Dan Rather had died! I was shocked when I got up(No internet, at least not at my house) kept flipping through the channels thinking I might see more on the story, before it finally dawned on me it had to have been a dream. Why dream that though??? I mean, sure he stole uncle Walter's seat and all, but still, didn't wish him death(at least then! :crazy: )

I occasionally dream that I am not dreaming. Pf course I eventually discover that I was dreaming, but that is not always a disappointment. Years ago, when I quit smoking, I used to dream that I hadn't. I have kept it under my hat, as it were, but I also once—many years ago, and this is for real—inexplicably dreamed that I was going to have sex with Bella Abzug! I guess "inexplicable" is not an adequate word here. :)

I have also (and I hear it is not uncommon) dreamed that I was frozen in my bed, in my bedroom, desperately trying to make any movement that would wake me up.

Hello Larry. I represent a little known grammatical policing organization known colloquially as "The Dangling Modifiers". While reading your initial post on this thread, we were troubled to find a reference to "...human beings with stingers and such." As this appears unlikely, we can only assume that a modifier has, in fact, been dangled. We ask that you acknowledge your oversight so that those who are reading your post will not be confused and/or concerned by such a reference. We are cutting you some slack, as we understand that you are an author and appear to be more than capable of conveying your thoughts clearly via the written word.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Up over and out.

"Earth was being attacked by apparently unstoppable swarms of insects (locust-like, but they also had the ability to directly harm human beings with stingers and such)..."

It's the insects that "had the ability to directly harm human beings with [as in "by means of"] stingers and such"...

In one of the worst dreams a few years ago, I was walking down a very dark alley. A guy in front of me looked more menacing the closer I got to him. And then he turned around and faced me -- he was Richard Nixon, his face looked typically vicious, and he fired his gun at me. (I awakened before the bullet hit.)

I bet John Dean's had that dream a few times....

Had one of those last night and wish I hadn't. Earth was being attacked by apparently unstoppable swarms of insects (locust-like, but they also had the ability to directly harm human beings with stingers and such) that may or may not have been controlled by intelligent aliens...

Too bad Alfred Hitchcock isn't around anymore; he could make a great movie out of this!

Locusts + aliens + movie = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062168/ .

Had one of those last night and wish I hadn't. Earth was being attacked by apparently unstoppable swarms of insects (locust-like, but they also had the ability to directly harm human beings with stingers and such) that may or may not have been controlled by intelligent aliens...

Too bad Alfred Hitchcock isn't around anymore; he could make a great movie out of this!

Nice one, Chas!

MG

Nice one, Chas!

MG

No kidding! Nice call!

Al, I have had a few dreams like that...one that I can recall...right now, is one about 20 years ago that while watching a news report, I heard them say that Dan Rather had died! I was shocked when I got up(No internet, at least not at my house) kept flipping through the channels thinking I might see more on the story, before it finally dawned on me it had to have been a dream. Why dream that though??? I mean, sure he stole uncle Walter's seat and all, but still, didn't wish him death(at least then! :crazy: )

I had a similar dream, probably back in '93 or '94, in that I was at the University of Texas Swim Center with then-president Bill Clinton and then-VP Al Gore. Bill jumped in and got stuck at the bottom of the deep end. Gore tried to save him, to no avail. He was very sad about this, and I vividly remember putting my arm around him and saying "From one Al to another..." and comforting him.

I have kept it under my hat, as it were, but I also once—many years ago, and this is for real—inexplicably dreamed that I was going to have sex with Bella Abzug! I guess "inexplicable" is not an adequate word here. :)

It certainly would've awoken... awakened.... woken..... hell, I'da jumped outta my bed screaming, that's for sure! :g