What on earth is going on at Concord NOW???

The Magnificent Goldberg

I got an e-mail from CD Universe today, advertising new reissues from Bobby Timmons and Coleman Hawkins. Well, I looked, didn't I?

300677.jpg

And CDU says:

Regular Price: $19.99

Our Price: $15.99 CD

For Sale Bobby Timmons new album scheduled to release on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

Full performer name: John Jenkins/Cliff Jordan/Bobby Timmons.

Personnel: John Jenkins (alto saxophone); Clifford Jordan (tenor saxophone); Bobby Timmons (piano); Wilbur Ware (bass); Dannie Richmond (drums).

Recorded at the Van ... Full DescriptionGelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on July 26, 1957. Originally released on Presitige/New Jazz (8232). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.

Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1994, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Wow! Fantastic!!!!!!

There's more....

66305.jpg

Regular Price: $19.99

Our Price: $15.99 CD

For Sale Coleman Hawkins new album scheduled to release on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone, flute); Eddie Barefield (alto saxophone, clarinet); Hilton Jefferson, Porter Kilbert (alto saxophone); Walter "Foots" Thomas (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone ... Full Descriptionsaxophone); Jonah Jones, Fats Navarro, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); J.J. Johnson (trombone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Clyde Hart, Thelonious Monk, Hank Jones, Ray Bryant (piano); Roy Gaines (guitar); Milt Hinton, Edward "Bass" Robinson, Curley Russell, Wendall Marshall (bass); Cozy Cole, Denzil Best, Max Roach, Walter Bolden (drums).

Engineers include: Rudy Van Gelder.

Recorded in New York, New York on October 11 & 19, 1944 and in December 1946; the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on February 5, 1959. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern and Joe Goldberg.

Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1993, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

What!!!!! The!!!!!! Fuck!!!!!!

MG

They're probably CD-Rs, that explains the price. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Well, that was a good thought, so I checked

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...x=6070236678408

It doesn't say anything about it being a CD-R, unless I've missed it. And CD-Rs wouldn't have a release date of next Tuesday, would they?

MG

They're probably CD-Rs, that explains the price. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Well, that was a good thought, so I checked

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...x=6070236678408

It doesn't say anything about it being a CD-R, unless I've missed it. And CD-Rs wouldn't have a release date of next Tuesday, would they?

MG

I was kinda half joking with that one, but weren't the Blue Note CD-Rs advertised as normal CDs initially???

Maybe these are imports of the European-printed Universal OJCCDs (as I call them)? - They look like OJCs but have a Universal logo on the back and new numbers on the spines, also the Prestige/Riverside etc numers aren't listed there in brackets, as they used to be on most of the original OJCCDs... but the OJC logo is still there on the front cover.

Maybe these are imports of the European-printed Universal OJCCDs (as I call them)? - They look like OJCs but have a Universal logo on the back and new numbers on the spines, also the Prestige/Riverside etc numers aren't listed there in brackets, as they used to be on most of the original OJCCDs... but the OJC logo is still there on the front cover.

Well, or maybe they're ZYX Fantasy issues. But surely it would be uncharacteristic for these to have a release date?

MG

Well, or maybe they're ZYX Fantasy issues. But surely it would be uncharacteristic for these to have a release date?

That's unlikely, because the ZYX discs have almost completely disappeared from the market (fortunately). The distributor got rid of the whole stock at bargain price when the licensing agreement ran out a couple of years ago.

I also think that these are probably european releases, sold at import price.

The US OJC of the John Jenkins album is available for $9 on the concord site:

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/J...-Bobby-Timmons/

Edited by Claude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My guess is that these are the releases that are being reissued in Europe as the "Collectors Choice 50" series.

This series consists of 50 semi-obscure titles, repackaged in super jewel cases, with brief liner notes by Richard Cook (taken from the Penguin Guide). They are not newly remastered, nor did they get new EAN/UPC barcodes, so except for the new packaging they are exact copies of the previously available OJC titles.

Interestingly enough, even though I've held several of these in my hands, I haven't found any reference to the series anywhere on the Internet yet.

My guess is that these are the releases that are being reissued in Europe as the "Collectors Choice 50" series.

This series consists of 50 semi-obscure titles, repackaged in super jewel cases, with brief liner notes by Richard Cook (taken from the Penguin Guide). They are not newly remastered, nor did they get new EAN/UPC barcodes, so except for the new packaging they are exact copies of the previously available OJC titles.

Interestingly enough, even though I've held several of these in my hands, I haven't found any reference to the series anywhere on the Internet yet.

Most, if not all, have been listed at CDU as "no longer available."

That's a very cool selection! I've not seen those here, though... were they regularly sold in stores? In the usual OJCCD/RVG Remasters/Keepnews Edition "nice price" range, or more expensive? There'd be a few among them still on my list...

I first saw a couple of them in shops a week or so ago... I found one reference to a 23 March 2009 release date, so if this date is correct, they may not have arrived everywhere yet.

Where I've seen them, they're priced exactly the same as the OJCCD/RVG Remasters/Keepnews releases. Actually, one shop sold them at €2 less. As I said, they're not remastered, just repackaged editions of previously available OJCCD titles, so they'd better not be any more expensive.

Edited by hprill0

gee, let me look at the list... I'd like to get:

Ahmed Abdul-Malik "Jazz Sahara"

Walter Bishop Jr. "Trio"

Al Cohn "Broadway"

Honi Gordon "Sings"

Charlie Mariano "Boston All-Stars" (the old OJC was a twofer of two 10 inch albums, I think, will this be the same?)

Prestige Blues Swingers "Outskirts of Town"

Ruth Price "At the Manne-Hole"

Julian Priester "Keep Swingin'"

Les Spann "Gemini"

Duane Tatro "Jazz for Moderns"

maybe also:

Ray Draper "Quintet"

Peter Erskine "Peter Erskine"

Joe Farrell "Sonic Text"

Ada Moore "Jazz Workshop Vo.l. 3" (or is that one in the Mingus Debut box? Will have to look it up)

I don't know anything about:

Claire Austin "When Your Lover Has Gone"

Wild Bill Moore "Bottom Groove"

Billie Poole "Confessin' the Blues"

the rest I have, I think...

they could have included some more of those all star things (in addition to the blues swingers I mean), "Roots" and "Earthy"...

Ada Moore "Jazz Workshop Vo.l. 3" (or is that one in the Mingus Debut box? Will have to look it up)

Afraid this one's not in the big Mingus box. I think the Debut Story 4CD box has a track or two from it though - must check.

I have the OJC LP and it's definitely an interesting listen !

Afraid this one's not in the big Mingus box. I think the Debut Story 4CD box has a track or two from it though - must check.

I have the OJC LP and it's definitely an interesting listen !

"Interesting" - yes, for the band's playing and the arrangements, but I found her singing pretty much out of tune!

I'm glad I have most of the bunch - I will get the Honi Gordon, and the Julian Priester which I had on a Japanese LP I obviously sold in the meantime ...