You might be a Monty Python fanatic if....

Big Al

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been very seldom, in fact, well neigh never, that living in the Greater Dallas Metropolitan Area has provided any distinct cultural advantage over anyplace else in this great round world of ours, but....

KERA, Dallas' PBS outlet, was the first station in the US to air Monty Python, and I, quite by accident, was in front of the tv watching it when they did.

Same here. I used to watch Benny Hill on Sunday nights on KERA (this would've been 1980 or 81) and they started following that with this weird show called "Monty Python's Flying Circus," which I'd never heard of in the ten years I'd been alive. It was the episode that contained the "How to Defend Yourself from Fresh Fruit" sketch. When that 16-ton weight fell, I thought I was gonna pass out I was laughing so hard!

"Well, I'm not sleeping with THAT producer again!"

I remember the first few series airing on BBC2 - and they only got a fringe audience until it eventually 'took off'. Eventually it was a mainstream series.

One of the later sketches had me in hysterics and still makes me laugh thinking about it. Terry Jones in drag as 'Mrs Scum' going out shopping to buy a piston engine ('Hello Mrs Scum - been shopping? Naaah - been shopping...'). Probably the same show that he/she is ironing the cat with hubby on sofa covered in beans !

Edited by sidewinder

I remember the first few series airing on BBC2 - and they only got a fringe audience until it eventually 'took off'. Eventually it was a mainstream series.

One of the later sketches had me in hysterics and still makes me laugh thinking about it. Terry Jones in drag as 'Mrs Scum' going out shopping to buy a piston engine ('Hello Mrs Scum - been shopping? Naaah - been shopping...'). Probably the same show that he/she is ironing the cat with hubby on sofa covered in beans !

But their predecessors had been very popular - "I'm sorry, I'll read that again", on radio; and "At last, the 1948 show" on TV, a bit of which I posted earlier, were both much more than fringe stuff. Maybe I thought the fringe was bigger than it was...

MG

.... if you know a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut and to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, unless its an african swallow.

I grew up a latch key baby and spent one summer where I think I watched the Holy Grail 20 times. Back when Showtime first premiered in the 80's on cable I think the only programing they had was the Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, Hannah And Her Sisters and the Jazzercize exercise show. hmmm..

.... if you know a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut and to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, unless its an african swallow.

I grew up a latch key baby and spent one summer where I think I watched the Holy Grail 20 times. Back when Showtime first premiered in the 80's on cable I think the only programing they had was the Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, Hannah And Her Sisters and the Jazzercize exercise show. hmmm..

Hey, I'd watch all of those programs...include the Jazzercize show. For some reason, I thought the women on those shows were really HOT back in the early 80s. Probably because I was hormonal... :crazy:

Hey, I'd watch all of those programs...include the Jazzercize show. For some reason, I thought the women on those shows were really HOT back in the early 80s. Probably because I was hormonal... :crazy:

I have to confess that the brunette with the curly hair is still etched deep in my brain... :excited:

I have to confess that the brunette with the curly hair is still etched deep in my brain... :excited:

ah yes, they would always do the close up of her blowing into the camera.