RIP Gerry Neiwood/Coleman Mellett

Mark Stryker

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090213/ap_en_...o_home_mangione

Publicist: 2 Mangione musicians die in plane crash

1 hr 34 mins ago

NEW YORK – Two members of jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band were among those killed on the plane that crashed into a Buffalo, New York, house, a publicist said Friday.

Publicist Sanford Brokaw identified the band members as Gerry Niewood, 64, of Rochester, N.Y., and Coleman Mellett of Maryland. Niewood played saxophone and flute and Mellett was a guitarist.

In a statement Mangione said: "I'm in shock over the horrible, heartbreaking tragedy of the crash of Flight 3407, which took the lives of my dear friends and band members. I am grieving and praying with their families and friends."

Mangione and his band were scheduled to perform Friday with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra at Kleinhans Music Hall. The concert has been postponed.

About 10 years ago I was at Blue Note Records jazz room and was surprised to hear someone ask for Gerry Niewood, as I recognized the name but only from the Concert in Central Park LP - had no idea that he played jazz as well. This crash serves as a reminder of how rare the "Miracle on the Hudson" really is. RIP.

Didn't Gerry Niewood also record for A&M/Horizon in the 1970s?

Yes, he had a release on A&M with his group Timepiece. He also had one on DMP and a fairly recent release called Facets (2004) where he played mostly standards and also was joined by his son Adam who is also a fine tenor player. I remember in college when he came to play with our big band. Great guy and a great musician, I wish he had more recordings available. I also liked his playing on a live Mangione recording, I think it was called "Alive"(A little unintended irony there).

Very, very sad that he's gone. My condolences to his family and friends.

Sad news indeed. RIP and sympathies to the band. Didn't Gerry Niewood also record for A&M/Horizon in the 1970s?

The only Niewood in my collection is on Little Wing: The Gil Evans Orchestra Live in Germany, recorded in October 1978. I don't know the label, as I've had it for years on audio tape!

I was very sorry to hear this news, and I must say a little disappointed by the relative lack of respect he got from the news media (no big surprise, though).

I first noticed Niewood when I was in high school, on Mangione's 1973 recording "Land Of Make Believe", with a vocalist named Esther Satterfield. The title track was long, something like 14 minutes, and Niewood played a wonderful extended soprano solo. I can still hear it, and I haven't actually listened to it in many years.

RIP, Gerry.

Really sad news and shocking for me. The first time I ever saw John Patton play live was at The Jazz Standard and Coleman Mellet was playing guitar. He also was in a trio that played together and recorded several CDs with drummer Ben Dixon and organist Adam Scone. He was a young guy and just amazing on guitar...definately took notes from masters like Grant Green, Kenny Burrell and Wes. He had a lot of soul. RIP :(

I was at the Massey Hall concert (c. 1973)that came out as "Land of Make Believe". Around noon hour of the concert day, I was walking down the street near the hotel where Chuck, Gerry, Esther and the others were staying.

Gerry was standing there looking a bit puzzled. I recognized him (and he was carrying his instruments, so...) and like a good native, asked "Can I help you?" and he set me up: "How do you get to Massey Hall?"

Yes, I did. C'mon, how many times in your life will you get the chance? "Practice". He laughed, realizing what he said. I gave him directions, introduced myself (I was doing a daily jazz radio show and had interviewed Chuck before, but this was how I met Gerry) and we went on our ways. I was later to have him on my show as a guest, and he remembered the occasion.

A bit of lore: the tapes from that concert were stolen from the recording truck, but later recovered, perhaps after a reward was paid -- I forget the circumstances...

RIP, Gerry.

Coleman Mellett has been to Michigan for at least two summers in the infamous "Scully Tour" and appeared live from the studios of Blue Lake Public Radio during one of those turns. He was married to vocalist Jeanie Bryson, Dizzy Gillespie's daughter, who performed with him in Grand Rapids in the 1990's. A solid professional musician.

Memorial Service for Gerry Niewood on March 2 in Glen Ridge, New Jersey -

Memorial Service

Gerry Niewood died on February 12, 2009. He was 65. Memorial Services will be held at Glen Ridge Congregational Church Monday March 2 at 2PM.

Glen Ridge Congregational Church

195 Ridgewood Avenue

Glen Ridge NJ 07028

His wife, 2 children, daughter in-law and 2 grandchildren survive him. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the

Gerry Niewood Scholarship Fund:

c/o Glen Ridge Congregational Church, 195 Ridgewood Avenue,

Glen Ridge NJ 07028

Please forward to anyone you feel would want to know...