Dr Lonnie Smith - Rise Up!

Soulstation1

Just listening to the first track as found on the Palmetto site. Herlin Riley!!! He rips it up. To tell the truth, I found the drummer on the Doctor's last CD the weak point, relying to much on the backbeat, but Riley .... Oh my good God ... I will buy this instantly.

Edited by mikeweil

While ordering the new Lonnie Smith, there are other fine CDs on this label (for example, Bobby Previte's Set the Alarm for Monday, or Bobby Watson's Horizon Reassembled). My apologies if this suggestion casts a stone in anyone's pond of "jazz is dead" reveries.

Palmetto is a great label, in addition to the Bobby Previte's the Frank Kimbrough and Ben Allison releases are wonderful.

While ordering the new Lonnie Smith, there are other fine CDs on this label (for example, Bobby Previte's Set the Alarm for Monday, or Bobby Watson's Horizon Reassembled). My apologies if this suggestion casts a stone in anyone's pond of "jazz is dead" reveries.

Palmetto is a great label, in addition to the Bobby Previte's the Frank Kimbrough and Ben Allison releases are wonderful.

I have a couple of the Frank Kimbrough releases and they are good--I haven't heard Ben Allison yet.