"Skylark," Harry James with Helen Forrest

Larry Kart

Forrest's "The Man I Love" with Benny Goodman (Eddie Sauter arrangment) is f------- exquisite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVCqX0v6U6A...feature=related

though Forrest was among the many who couldn't stand the "self-absorbed, rude, impossibly tightfisted" B.G. ("The twenty or so months I spent with Benny felt like twenty years"). She finally quit ("Find another singer, and find her fast") while the band was playing the Sherman Hotel in Chicago, this leading fortuitously to the hiring of Peggy Lee, who was singing at The Buttery at the Ambassador East, where Benny and his wife to be Alice Hammond were staying (it was she who saw Lee first and told Goodman he should check her out). In a typical B.G. move, he then required Forrest, whose contract still had a month to run, to sit alongside Lee on the bandstand every night for the duration, without singing a note. When asked why the popular Forrest wasn't performing, B.G. would say, "She's got laryngitis." But we still have "The Man I Love."

I had the pleasure of twice playing in a group that backed Helen Forrest, 1982 & 1983 in Albuquerque. She still sang superbley, and not in a "for her age" type way either.

On top of that, she was a real sweetheart too. My folks came into town to hear her the first time, and I told her that my dad was a big fan from back in the day and would really appreciate having his picture taken with her. She accommodated that request with no small enthusiasm, and later that night gave me a solo spot on "The Man I Love", going so far as to announce my parent's presence in the audience afterward.

A "class act" all the way if ever there was one.

Edited by JSngry

I had the pleasure of twice playing in a group that backed Helen Forrest, 1982 & 1983 in Albuquerque. She still sang superbley, and not in a "for her age" type way either.

On top of that, she was a real sweetheart too. My folks came into town to hear her the first time, and I told her that my dad was a big fan from back in the day and would really appreciate having his picture taken with her. She accommodated that request with no small enthusiasm, and later that night gave me a solo spot on "The Man I Love", going so far as to announce my parent's presence in the audience afterward.

Speaking of late-in-the-day encounters with female singers of that era who were still in fine form, I caught Frances Wayne (of Woody Herman's sublime version of "Happiness Is Just a Thing Called Joe," Ralph Burns arrangement) with Harry James in maybe 1980, and she was ... in fine sultry form. Wayne was Mrs. Neal Hefti. Can't find a link to "Happiness," but on this 1944 novelty number, "It Must Be Jelly," with Herman (they share the vocal), her floating time is something else:

Forrest was blessed to be w/Goodman when Eddie Sauter was cranking out one gem after another. Great band, great singer, great charts, each as good as they could be.

Check out "Perfidia":

I mean, DAMN!

Forrest's voice is like a sensuous laser beam. Glad to know that she was such a nice person, too.

Forrest was blessed to be w/Goodman when Eddie Sauter was cranking out one gem after another. Great band, great singer, great charts, each as good as they could be.

Check out "Perfidia":

I mean, DAMN!

Forrest's voice is like a sensuous laser beam. Glad to know that she was such a nice person, too.

Indeed she was. She didn't have to be either, I mean, the group that hired her both times was the type that was so struck with hero worship that she could have been Queen Bee The Super Bitch and they'd have been more than happy to play along, but...she wasn't, not even slightly. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't take at least a little bit of a lesson from that...

But did you check out that chart? Again, DAMN! There's a synergy going on between band, singer, and arrangement that bespeaks a whole lot of people at the top of their games coming together on the same wavelength to produce both magic and greatness. I've heard Forrest w/Goodman, Shaw, & James (as well as a nifty little latter-day date on, I believe, Stash?), and she herself is fine all the way around. but the Forrest/Goodman/Sauter stuff.....WHOA. You just don't get that level of collective greatness every day.

The Stash album:

0017_35.JPG

I'VE HEARD THAT SONG BEFORE

I DON'T WANT TO WALK WITHOUT YOU

HAPPINESS IS A THING CALLED JOE

BUT NOT FOR ME

I CRIED FOR YOU

I HAD THE CRAZIEST DREAM

YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU

YOU'LL NEVER KNOW

MORE THAN YOU KNOW

Hank Jones on Piano, Frank Wess on Tenor Saxophone and Flute, Grady Tate on Drums, George Duvivier on Bass, Jim Mitchell on Guitar, Bob Zottola on Trumpet and Flugelhorn and Clint Sharman on Trombone.

And what, prithee, is this?

ad62_35.JPG

in the middle 1970s (yeah, I know, I've told this before) I was writing for some jazz mag and Neal Hefti was living near me in Brookline, Mass. He very kindly invited me over for an interview and introduced me to Francis Wayne, who was gorgeous and, sadly, just diagnosed with the cancer which killed her a few years later. He told me she had hated Hollywood and had finally talked him into leaving and coming back East, but just as they did this her health problems intervened. Very gracious lady, though she died in '78, Larry - maybe you were seeing another one of those damn Francis Wayne impersonators. Not as good as the Elvis clones, but better looking -

Edited by AllenLowe

in the middle 1970s (yeah, I know, I've told this before) I was writing for some jazz mag and Neal Hefti was living near me in Brookline, Mass. He very kindly invited me over for an interview and introduced me to Francis Wayne, who was gorgeous and, sadly, just diagnosed with the cancer which killed her a few years later. He told me she had hated Hollywood and had finally talked him into leaving and coming back East, but just as they did this her health problems intervened. Very gracious lady, though she died in '78, Larry - maybe you were seeing another one of those damn Francis Wayne impersonators. Not as good as the Elvis clones, but better looking -

I could have seen her as early as 1976 or '77, at the Mill Run Theater (with a revolving stage) in a shopping center in suburban Niles. I remember feeling sad when I heard of her death. From the way she sang you would never have know she was ill.

I got all verklempt.