"Skylark," Harry James with Helen Forrest

Larry Kart

Well, it seems pretty corny, and in a sense it was, but otoh, the audience was all of an age and type where playing to "parental pride" was also smart showmanship. Still, I got no sense that it was phony, and when she came back the next year, she remembered me, and asked me how my dad was doing.

I got the very real sense that she was a person who had long ago separated the "real" in life from the hype and was perfectly comfortable with herself for/from having done so. Like I said, there was a lesson to be taken there...

No clarification needed, Lon. It's just that it is the type of thing that could have been, and more often than not would have been, quite cheesy & contrived. But in this case, not. This was at a time when my "cheese detector" was working double overtime, if you know what I mean.

Ego, insecurity, hype, assholery, I understand all that and can live with no small amount of it as "the cost of doing business". But people like Helen Forrest showed that it doesn't have to be that way all your life. Again, a lesson to be learned.

HIGHLY recommended:

51J94PH57FL._SS500_.jpg

I'll double that recommendation--went on a big HF kick a couple of years ago and picked this one up, along with the single disc that compiles her recordings with Harry James. There are also some good Forrest vocals on the Hindsight boxes of live James and Artie Shaw.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 years later...
"Soon, Helen's mother and stepfather turned the family's home into a brothel.
Whew!
'Helen was born Helen Fogel in Atlantic City, New Jersey on April 12, 1917. Her parents, Louis and Rebecca Fogel, were Russian-born Jews.
'While she was still an infant, Helen's father died from influenza. Helen was raised by her mother, who often blamed her husband's death on the birth of Helen. She believed that God had taken her husband because she had wished so much for a baby girl.[1] Helen had three older brothers: Harry, Ed, and Sam. The family relocated to Brooklyn when Helen was in her early teenage years. Her mother married a house painter, a man that Helen disliked. Soon, Helen's mother and stepfather turned the family's home into a brothel.[1] At age 14, Helen was nearly raped by her stepfather. Helen defended herself with a kitchen knife, injuring him. Following this, she was permitted by her mother to live with her piano teacher, Honey Silverman, and her family.[1] While learning piano, Honey noticed Helen's singing ability and encouraged her to focus on singing instead. Anxious to find a career in singing, Helen dropped out of high school to pursue her dream.[1] '
And so forth.
P.S. I have an album of Forrest mid-1940s airchecks on my I-Pod. Heart and soul, heart and soul.

"Soon, Helen's mother and stepfather turned the family's home into a brothel.
Whew!
'Helen was born Helen Fogel in Atlantic City, New Jersey on April 12, 1917. Her parents, Louis and Rebecca Fogel, were Russian-born Jews.
'While she was still an infant, Helen's father died from influenza. Helen was raised by her mother, who often blamed her husband's death on the birth of Helen. She believed that God had taken her husband because she had wished so much for a baby girl.[1] Helen had three older brothers: Harry, Ed, and Sam. The family relocated to Brooklyn when Helen was in her early teenage years. Her mother married a house painter, a man that Helen disliked. Soon, Helen's mother and stepfather turned the family's home into a brothel.[1] At age 14, Helen was nearly raped by her stepfather. Helen defended herself with a kitchen knife, injuring him. Following this, she was permitted by her mother to live with her piano teacher, Honey Silverman, and her family.[1] While learning piano, Honey noticed Helen's singing ability and encouraged her to focus on singing instead. Anxious to find a career in singing, Helen dropped out of high school to pursue her dream.[1] '
And so forth.
P.S. I have an album of Forrest mid-1940s airchecks on my I-Pod. Heart and soul, heart and soul.

So, working for Benny Goodman was not, after all, the worst experience of her life! Definitely one of the greatest of the classic big band singers.

gregmo

Forrest was blessed to be w/Goodman when Eddie Sauter was cranking out one gem after another. Great band, great singer, great charts, each as good as they could be.

Check out "Perfidia": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vo-w-D4W4

I mean, DAMN!

Great clarinet too, difficult although he no doubt was, BG could certainly play some.

Forrest was blessed to be w/Goodman when Eddie Sauter was cranking out one gem after another. Great band, great singer, great charts, each as good as they could be.

Check out "Perfidia": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vo-w-D4W4

I mean, DAMN!

Great clarinet too, difficult although he no doubt was, BG could certainly play some.

True that!

gregmo