Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I just noticed that Dennis Gonzalez has a new album available for sale on his website. It is a cdr of an October 1989 gig with Frank Lowe. Sounds interesting. I will most likely end up buying a copy, and will post a review.

Great. Please keep us posted. I asume everybody here has Lowe's masterpiece The Flam (Black Saint)?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlike so many other solo saxophone projects...

Well, there are not that many solo saxophone projects overall, are there?

Meanwhile, Gebbia mentions on his website that Zen Widow trio will visit Switzerland (Zurich) as part of its European tour, some time in April.

Cool! Keep me updated! Rote Fabrik, or where will they play? Sphères?

Unlike so many other solo saxophone projects...

Well, there are not that many solo saxophone projects overall, are there?

Meanwhile, Gebbia mentions on his website that Zen Widow trio will visit Switzerland (Zurich) as part of its European tour, some time in April.

Cool! Keep me updated! Rote Fabrik, or where will they play? Sphères?

No info yet.

This store has them for €12 but I haven't had any experience with them so can't vouch for whether what you see is actually what is in stock. I usually wait for 2-3 weeks and amazon.fr does a fine job, at €17.5 a pop, though.

edit: John, your package's on its way, otherwise I would have included this, too.

Edited by gnhrtg

Where do you buy Soulnote/Blacksaint from? No distribution here, none at all.

Flurin, Controtempo used to be quite reliabel on Italian CDs (Soul Note / Black Saint including) a coule of years ago. However, the last couple of times I tried to place an order, theree was no response whatsoever. I would recommend going for Cadence - $15 plus reasonable shipping (if you take 5 CDs or so with surface shipping... let us know if you need recomendations for 4 more CDs).

I started a thread up in the Artists section for Von Freeman after hearing this disc, but I thought I would post here, too.

f69162a4zay.jpg

Von Freeman - Serenade & Blues (Nessa) recorded in 1975, this album is the real deal. I've listened to it two times in a row and am enjoying it more and more. Other than Von, I wasn't familiar with any of the musicians (John Young - p, David Shipp - b, Wilbur Campbell - d) but I really enjoy their work on this album. If you place an order from Chuck (or Jazz Loft, etc..) do yourself a favor and add this one to your list.

Where do you buy Soulnote/Blacksaint from? No distribution here, none at all.

Flurin, Controtempo used to be quite reliabel on Italian CDs (Soul Note / Black Saint including) a coule of years ago. However, the last couple of times I tried to place an order, theree was no response whatsoever. I would recommend going for Cadence - $15 plus reasonable shipping (if you take 5 CDs or so with surface shipping... let us know if you need recomendations for 4 more CDs).

Thanks for the advice, David! But no, no need for recommendations right now... rather need to remind me about the Lowe again, later ;)

Gokhan, you're certainly right regarding the lenght of tunes on the Humair Willisau disc. Thanks for your review, though! :tup

Thank you for thinking of us and sending the disc, ubu. Ellery plays some killer breaks there, don't you think? Overall I find him to be in much better form there, and also on Gonzalez's NY Midnight Suite, than the much eagerly anticipated but somewhat disappointing Devils Paradise, imho.

Three more general remarks:

- both the Lacy and the Waldron/Lacy have bonus tracks (alternates, some differing in lenght very much from the masters).

How many?

Alan, the Lacy has one alternate. The Lacy/Waldron has two.

All the details are available at this site (brush up your French):

http://free-america.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

Full track listing is under 'Collection'. Bonne chance!

Merci!

Here's a list of Hat titles listed as "FORTHCOMING" on the Downtown Music Gallery site:

DIETER AMMANN The Freedom Of Speech Hat [now] 158 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

PIERRE BOULEZ Notations & Sonatas I, II & III Hat [now] Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

ANTHONY BRAXTON Willisau Quartet 1991 [4 CD set] hat ology 610 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 37.00

ANTHONY BRAXTON//DUKE ELLINGTON Concept Of Freedom hat ology 614 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

JOHN CAGE Sonatas & Interludes Hat [now] Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

MARC COPLAND Time Within Time Hat ology 619 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

DANIELE D'AGARO With JEB BISHOP/KENT KESSLER/ROBERT BERRY Chicago Overtones Hat ology 613 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

EFZEG efzeg Hat ology Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

CHARLES IVES & WYSCHNEGRADSKY Quarter Tone Pieces Hat [now] Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

THEO JORGENSMANN 1998 FELLOWSHIP With CHARLIE MARIANO/KARL BERGER/KENT CARTER et al 1998 Fellowship Hat ology 616 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

JOHN LAW TRIO & QUARTET Monk 'N' Junk Hat ology Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

DAVE LIEBMAN/ELLERY ESKELIN With TONY MARINO/JIM BLACK Different But The Same Hat ology 615 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

WARNE MARSH Ne Plus Ultra hat ology 603 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

DAVID MURRAY With JOHNNY DYANI & ANDREW CYRILLE 3-D Family hat ology 608 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

MAX NAGL ENSEMBLE Quartier Du Faison Hat ology Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

PAULINE OLIVEROS The Roots Of The Moment Hat ology 591 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

MAX ROACH/ARCHIE SHEPP The Long March Vol I & II [2 CD set] hat ology 602 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 26.00

DANE RUDHYAR/STEFFEN SCHLEIERMACHER Works For Piano Hat [now] 140 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

JAMES TENNEY/MAELSTROM PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE Pika-Don Hat [now] 151 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

STEFAN WOLPE Enactments, Works For 1, 2 & 3 Pianos hat [now] 162 Switzerland CD Forthcoming 17.00

Comments?

Edited by Chaney

The Marsh is excellent, and it gives good and necessary exposure to Gary Foster. If you haven't yet heard Foster, you're in for a treat. I'll be "upgrading" for this one.

Never have heard of the Braxton/Ellington project. Anyone want to shed some light?

The Willisau concert (and studio sessions) will go in the basket, and The Long March probably will too, though I've never heard a note. I greedily wanted more Lacy, but ... will be patient.