• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

You can also get the Free Elephants at Squidco for $17.95 US and

shipping inside the US or Canada is free.

squidco

Nice! Thanks!

Only problem I have is that Squidco charges New York State sales tax which pretty much becomes, for me, a shipping charge.

Still an excellent outfit to do business with.

Come to think of it, Cadence charges me tax and shipping so...

Edited by Chaney

My opinion: Those that like Vandermark should get the set. (I wish I were one as I'd no doubt be wetting myself over this one.) Fence-sitters and others probably should not.

hey, that's just about as informed an opinion as Derek's, you're only one disc behind...

maybe we should start a site where we write lengthy, in-depth reviews before actually receiving the product, just based on the musicians, the label, and the circumstances. oh, wait, that's basically what quite a few critics do already... :rolleyes:

Guest Chaney

My opinion:  Those that like Vandermark should get the set.  (I wish I were one as I'd no doubt be wetting myself over this one.)  Fence-sitters and others probably should not.

hey, that's just about as informed an opinion as Derek's, you're only one disc behind...

Damn. And I didn't even get comped on the set.

Maybe it's time I turned professional. :rhappy:

I just learned that Tim Berne is releasing live albums directly throght his website.  The first one is out and, if it sells well enough, more will follow.

Acoustic and Electric Hard Cell Live

acoustic_and_electric_hard_cell_live_i.jpg

Tim Berne: Alto

Craig Taborn: Electric keyboards and electronics 2 and 4 and acoustic piano on 1 and 3

Tom Rainey : drums

There is a rave review of this one up over at JC.  I'll be picking up a copy of it one of these days.

I just heard this disc for the first time and it is fantastic! Highly recommended. The sound quality varies between tracks, as some are audience recordings, but the music is great.

Agree. The band sounds really charged up. Nearly palpable energy.

Have you heard The Shell Game, by the same lineup? I'm wondering how that compares. If it is anywhere near as good I will have to pick it up one of these days.

Don't have this one.

Saw Brötzmann-McPhee-Kessler-Zerang live yesterday. Quite weak. Repetative semi-burnig blowouts alternating with tired solemn lyrical passages. McPhee played a lot of soparano and pocket trumpet, and sounded meiocre on both, IMO. His tenor playing was better (with some very impressive altissimo playing), but I don't think that McPhee's forte is this sort of fire music - IMO, he thrives in a quiter setting with more space and more intent listening. Brötzmann was just going through the motions on all his instruments (his best playing was acutally during the pre-concert warm-up when he did some very impressive super-fast runs on alto). On the other hand, the sound as always in this hall was flawless, and Brötzmann's tenor sound is a pleasure to hear live. The most interestign player yesterday was Michael Zerang with his really creative drumming (he did one solo were by manipulating the drums he created what sounded like a mutant baritone saxophone solo - amazing that sounds llike these can be created on drums). The musicians themselves didn't look particualrly pleased with their playing either.

I chatted with McPhee a bit after the concert. I asked him about any upcoming solo works, and he said he will indeed have one on Roaratorio, but it will be an LP-only release. He also told a story of his brief collaboration with McLellan. Sounds like the guy is some sort of a freak, so McPhee does not consider working with him anymore. He loves the Grand Marquis, though.

Guest Chaney

David: Thanks for the words on the Brotz show. He's bringing his (or shoud I say Vandermark's) tentet to Buffalo in a month or so. As I'm kind of bored with that sound, I might just let it pass. Of course, admission is FREE, so...

Have you heard The Shell Game, by the same lineup? I'm wondering how that compares. If it is anywhere near as good I will have to pick it up one of these days.

John: If you don't have The Shell Game and want it, let me know and I'll send you my copy.

I believe way back when I liked this one but now, after just listening to it (for the last time), yuck! I normally like Taborn but, even with the volume turned down a bit, my ears hurt from the lower frequencies he inflicts upon the listener. This is one time I wish I didn't have a subwoofer. Rainey bangs and bangs and then... BANGS some more. Bern's the best of the three, at least on this outing.

A very in your face sound, recorded too close. Little subtlety / all elbows.

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

Glad you young guys enjoy it. :rlol

This group reminds me of Eskelin's trio at its most unimaginative and bland. Or maybe Medeski Martin and Wood, the one time I borrowed one of their disks from the library, bravely placed it into my CD player, hit play, sat back and listened, thinking, Hey, this isn't bad, only to find myself getting more and more surly as each moment passed. Brave soul that I am, I listened to the whole thing and hated almost every moment.

Edited by Chaney

David: Thanks for the words on the Brotz show. He's bringing his (or shoud I say Vandermark's) tentet to Buffalo in a month or so. As I'm kind of bored with that sound, I might just let it pass. Of course, admission is FREE, so...

Tony, I suggest you go if only for Paal Nilssen-Love's drumming. Also, tentet is actually quite diverse live (I saw them a couple of years ago in NYC), and with Mars Williams having quit you get the least interesting player out.

Braxton's "23 Standards" and, more importantly Nabatov/Bennink "Chat Room" on Leo are sold out! I am not sure how it happened, as both are very recenty releases - I will check with Leo (he used to do 1000-copies runs - could he have switched to 500-CD batches?).

Nabatov/Bennink is an outstanding record - one of the best ones for both musicians, and beautifully recorded. Grab it while you can!

378.jpg

And yeah, Leo mentions that there will be another Braxton 4-CD standards box coming out leter this month.

do NOT miss the Brotzmann Tentet - I will be seeing them (with Nilson-Love for the first time - I have seen them twice with Drake) and am looking forward to it.

the previous tow times were among the best shows I have ever seen - the last time - in 2002 - was simply the greatest live music I have ever witnessed.

do NOT miss the Brotzmann Tentet - I will be seeing them (with Nilson-Love for the first time - I have seen them twice with Drake) and am looking forward to it.

the previous tow times were among the best shows I have ever seen - the last time - in 2002 - was simply the greatest live music I have ever witnessed.

Steve, looks like we were at the same concertin in NYC in 2002 (in Tonic, as far as I remember). A terrific experience indeed.

-------------

Now, I'll try to get to Geneva to see Lee Konitz trio (with Ed and George Schuller). "Try" because we have extremely heavy wet snow (thankfully I was so lazy I haven't changed the winter tires yet) - quite amusinc after total and seemingly irrevesable spring we've had for last three weeks.

yes - @ Tonic

two short but blistering sets

do you remember the band standing silently at the outset until they lauched into a fanfar of sorts on the oepning carnival-like Brotzmann composition?

two great long form things that night - one by Williams and a longer one to close out the second set by KV - which was partly almost "Brotz plays afro-cuban or calypso - never have I heard a band groove so much.

hope Hamid's shoes are filled rightly - as he was incredible in this band.

yes - @ Tonic

two short but blistering sets

do you remember the band standing silently at the outset until they lauched into a fanfar of sorts on the oepning carnival-like Brotzmann composition?

two great long form things that night - one by Williams and a longer one to close out the second set by KV - which was partly almost "Brotz plays afro-cuban or calypso - never have I heard a band groove so much.

hope Hamid's shoes are filled rightly - as he was incredible in this band.

Steve, I was at the second set only. My recollection of particualr details is quite vague now (although after you mentioned it, I do seem to remember the silent episode of meditation), except for the totally elated feeling I had during and after the concert. In addition to phenomenal music, what I also liked was the crowd - a very enthusiastic and positive group of poeple - the only negative point was the drunken guy on the left who would holler all through the concert.

Guest Chaney

Funny, but it's exactly that groove that you speak of Steve that I find myself growing tired of. The crowd generally loves it but it just gets all so predictable.

Hell, if they want to please the crowd, lose the groove and swing.

What's next? Greeeeeeeaze?

Funny, but it's exactly that groove that you speak of Steve that I find myself growing tired of. The crowd generally loves it but it just gets all so predictable.

Hell, if they want to please the crowd, lose the groove and swing.

What's next? Greeeeeeeaze?

Tony, I agree with your point - but in case of tentet (nonet now, I guess), as I mentioned, there will be much more than groove alone.

Edited by Д.Д.