Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

On a completely unrelated note, I picked up a copy of "Live At The LU" the other day. A couple of listens in I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. My (admittedly limited) experience with Fennesz led me to expect his playing on this would be sort of melodic or delicate (?) and that's certainly not the case - I don't mean that as a negative in any way.

Fennesz' solo work (which I believe you are referencing) differs quite a bit from his collaborative work. I saw a live show of Rowe solo / Fennesz solo / Rowe and Fennesz duo not too long after Live at the LU was released. I prefered the live show and still don't love Live at the LU, although I enjoy listening to it on occasion.

For melodic collaboration check out Polwechsel / Fennesz - Wrapped Islands.

My recommendations for best places to start for Fennesz collaborations are Four Gentleman of the Guitar, with Keith Rowe, Toshimaru Nakamura and Oren Ambarchi, ErstLive 004 with Sachiko M, Otomo Yoshihide and Peter Rehberg and the orange disc on Charizma, with Werner Dafeldecker,Christof Kurzmann, Jim O'Rourke and Kevin Drumm.

Your right the Fennesz I've heard is "Endless Summer", "Plus Forty Seven..." and "Live At Revolver". Thanks for the suggestions.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, thanks to blake I have a copy of Derek Bailey's Aida sitting here, which I was able to buy for $8.99. Very nice.

My pleasure. I'm just happy no one beat you to it. Of the 25 or so Bailey discs I've heard I think Aida is my favorite.

Can anyone commment on the Roscoe Mitchells? Outside of the AEC I'm not at all familiar with his work during the 80s.

If you do a search quite a few of these have been discussed here and in a Roscoe Mitchell thread in the Recommendations forum. Staying in the 80's I highly recommend 3x4 Eye, Duets and Solos (with Muhal Richard Abrams)Snurdy McGurdy(on Nessa), More Cutouts (on Cecma) and (stretching things to the early 90's) This Dance is For Steve McCall.

Thanks again, John. I'm compiling what is turning into a rather large BS/SN order to take advantage of the sale and was curious about the Mitchell's - all of which (or nearly all) seem to have been released during the 80s. I forgot about that recommendations thread, I'll check it out.

Pullen/Rivers "Capricorn Rising" is another one that looks good. Anyone have an opinion?

Have you folks noticed one of our newest members?

Aurorarising

aurora.jpg

Aurora Josephson

Work-In-Progress:

Oakland Air

Wind trio with Jacob Lindsay and Kyle Bruckmann

XOXOX

Guitar/effects and voice duet with Myles Boisen

Voice and Electronics duet with Bob Boster

triple d

Clarinet, bass and voice trio with Jacob Lindsay and Damon Smith

:party:

+ + + + + + + + + +

Just noticed that The Sale Of Tickets For Money Was Abolished (on Balance Point Acoustics, with Tony Bevan/Damon Smith/Scott R. Looney) has gone out of print. MUCH tooo wonderful to now be unavailable.

bpa002.jpg

She's gorgeous!

:wub:

Your right the Fennesz I've heard is "Endless Summer", "Plus Forty Seven..." and "Live At Revolver". Thanks for the suggestions.

blake, one of the main reasons Christian and myself wanted to release Live at the LU was because it showed such a raw side of his work, pretty much diametrically opposed to stuff like Endless Summer and Venice. it also helped to strengthen the relationship between Keith and Christian a lot, which helped lead to the 4g project.

If you enjoy this side of Fennesz' work I highly recommend grabbing a copy of Live in Japan, on the Headz label. It is similar to Endless Summer, but, in some ways, a stronger work.

Pullen/Rivers "Capricorn Rising" is another one that looks good. Anyone have an opinion?

It looks good and sounds very good. Rivers challenged Don Pullen much more than Pullen's usual tenor associates at the time (George Adams and Chico Freeman in particular). A thoroughly 'out' session which reaches just shade of the Rivers-Cecil Taylor duets.

This was one of the very first releases from Black Saint!

Edited by brownie

Guest Chaney

Can you folks help me out on something?

Can you provide names and/or recommendations for what I've read described as a flourishing Boston (or is it all of New England?) free-improv-or-whatever jazz/music scene? Honestly, it's a mystery to me and I wouldn't mind exploring but I'm clueless as to who is involved, labels, history...

2help.gif

Thanks!

Edited by Chaney

I'm sure there are a few different scenes/microscenes within Boston jazz/free improv, and I don't know exactly which you're interested in, but the one I'm most familiar with is the Greg Kelley/Bhob Rainey/Jason Lescalleet (now in Maine)/Howie Stelzer/Brendan Murray/Mike Bullock abstract crew. the top labels are Sedimental and Intransitive, the Rainey/Kelley/Lescalleet double CD due soon on Intransitive is much awaited in this house.

Pianist Lowell Davidson, who had a single record on ESP with Graves and Peacock, was an integral part of the Boston scene up through the 80s. Apparently he exacted a pretty strong influence on a number of people working there, including guitarist Joe Morris.

In the 70s: saxophonists Michael Cosmic and Phill Musra, and drummer Huseyin Ertunc (of Turkish heritage) had a powerful post-AACM trio that recorded under each of their names, as well as in the World's Experience Orchestra. Trumpeter Mark Harvey is a regular fixture in the Boston scene, and had some pretty engaging small groups in the '70s and '80s, including a rare trio on Bush Records.

David Ware and Cooper-Moore studied at Berklee, and their Apogee group began in Boston, with Marc Edwards on drums and occasionally Chris Amberger on bass (great former Oakland-area bassist who played with Smiley Winters). Of course, the history of that group is well-documented.

Edit for a few more names: Raphe Malik, Dennis Warren, Billy Elgart, John Voigt, Laurence Cook... will try to think of a few more.

Edited by clifford_thornton

As far as BS/SN, I really like Jon Jang's Two Flowers on a Stem. Post-to-free-bop with Chinese folk-music themeses. With David Murray, James Newton, Billy Hart, Santi Debriano and one other musician who plays erhu. Newton is stupendous on this, and there's a really nice version of "Meditations on Integration".

I have another Jang's Soul Note disc ("Immigration Suite" it's called, I think), and it has a lot of extremely boring spoken word segments. Otherwise, I have Jang on a couple more CDs as a sideman (with Max Roach's Beijing Trio and with Francis Wong - both on Asian Improv label) and he is quite interesting, particularly when he incorporates Chinese elements into his playing.

RE: Black Saint / Soul Note

Don't the forget the 3 Cecil Taylors - "For Olim", "Olu Iwa" and "Winged Serpent (Sliding Quadrants)". Of the 3 my preference is "For Olim" but my bias is towards his solo performances.

Yes!

Of those, I actually have only "For Olim", and it is one of the must-have Cecil's solo recordings - and one of the more (most?) subdued and varied ones. Beautiful piano sound as well.

Can anyone commment on the Roscoe Mitchells? Outside of the AEC I'm not at all familiar with his work during the 80s.

Of what I've heard, I particularly liked the "Duets & Solos" (Black Saint) with Muhal Richard Abrams - beautiful, beutiful playing by both.

Thinking about it, this might be the only Roscoe Mitchell non-AEoC disc I really like.

On a completely unrelated note, I picked up a copy of "Live At The LU" the other day. A couple of listens in I'm still trying to wrap head around it. My (admittedly limited) experience with Fennesz led me to expect his playing on this would be sort of melodic or delicate (?) and that's certainly not the case - I don't mean that as a negative in any way.

Fennesz' solo work (which I believe you are referencing) differs quite a bit from his collaborative work. I saw a live show of Rowe solo / Fennesz solo / Rowe and Fennesz duo not too long after Live at the LU was released. I prefered the live show and still don't love Live at the LU, although I enjoy listening to it on occasion.

For melodic collaboration check out Polwechsel / Fennesz - Wrapped Islands.

My recommendations for best places to start for Fennesz collaborations are Four Gentleman of the Guitar, with Keith Rowe, Toshimaru Nakamura and Oren Ambarchi, ErstLive 004 with Sachiko M, Otomo Yoshihide and Peter Rehberg and the orange disc on Charizma, with Werner Dafeldecker,Christof Kurzmann, Jim O'Rourke and Kevin Drumm.

I also didn't find "Live at the LU" that interesting - but Polweschel/Fennesz "Wrapped Islands" is beautiful, and Fennesz solo "Hotel Paral.lel" (Mego) is excellent as well (even if I listened to it only once and don't remember much of it now :blush: ).

Just noticed that The Sale Of Tickets For Money Was Abolished (on Balance Point Acoustics, with Tony Bevan/Damon Smith/Scott R. Looney) has gone out of print. MUCH tooo wonderful to now be unavailable.

I'll be on a look out for this one.

By the way, thanks to blake I have a copy of Derek Bailey's Aida sitting here, which I was able to buy for $8.99. Very nice.

My pleasure. I'm just happy no one beat you to it. Of the 25 or so Bailey discs I've heard I think Aida is my favorite.

I have purchased a few Bailey discs recently (including Aida).. but... well, I still cannot fully appreciate what he is doing. So far I really like Duos & Trios (Universal Japan) - I might appreciate it more thanks to great recording quality and Kaoru Abe's insane playing. I also like, with certain reservations, No Waiting (Potlatch) with most wonderful Joelle Leandre - with reservations due to Bailey seemingly refusing to communicate here. The rest has left me cold so far. Edited by Д.Д.

It looks good and sounds very good. Rivers challenged Don Pullen much more than Pullen's usual tenor associates at the time (George Adams and Chico Freeman in particular). A thoroughly 'out' session which reaches just shade of the Rivers-Cecil Taylor duets.

Well, I'd beg to differ. I thought it was pretty weak (listening to it now - to re-confirm). It is a very simplistic work with first track having a lot of extremely predictable tenor wailing, and then a couple of tracks with Rivers doing these up-and-down nasal soprano runs (and a bit of unspectacular flute) - one of the tracks being silly rock-ish tune. Pullen is doing his regular thing which sound spectacular when you hear it for the first time (I was thrilled first timee I heard Pullen), but gets extremely predictable very soon. Drummer (Bobby Battle) is nothing special either. I do not really hear anybody challenging each other (or themselves)here - very lazy music, IMO.

Can you provide names and/or recommendations for what I've read described as a flourishing Boston (or is it all of New England?) free-improv-or-whatever jazz/music scene? Honestly, it's a mystery to me and I wouldn't mind exploring but I'm clueless as to who is involved, labels, history...

2help.gif

Thanks!

Tony, as Jon mentioned, Bhob Rainey's music is highly recommended. I enjoy immensely those few discs of his I have, pareticularly "Crawlspace / Universal Noir" on now-defunct Tautology label (should be still possible to find), and his solo "Inc." on Sachimay.

I think trumpeter Taylor Ho Bynum is also from Boston.

Paul Flaherty occupies the fire-breathing spectrum of the Boston (and world) music, I guess, and he is very effective (and sincere, IMO) in this. He has a good, even admirable for stamina and determination, but somewhat limited in approach solo CD called "Voices" (on Wet Paint label), and a really excellent recently-released scream-fest Cold Bleak Heat: "It's magnificent, but it isn't war" (on Family Wineyard - also Boston-based label?) with Greg Kelley (!), excellent drummer Chris Corsano and Matt Heyner on bass.

------------------------

Meanwhile, Pullen/Rivers is over, and goes directly to the exile bin. If somebody wants to receive it one day, let me know. I'll actually listen to some Paul Flaherty now.

------------------------

Looks like Lotte Anker's "Six Row Barley" (Utech; edition of 100) is not available anymore - I would urge you to get this one - Anker is an excellent and original alto-saxophonist, and on this disc her partner is non other than Paal Nilssen-Love, and they do some miracles together (there is actually also some electronics guy who is providing some occasional unnecessery, but not too annoying, humming noisy fan background.

Edited by Д.Д.

Aurorarising

Welcome, Aurora!

Aurorarising

She's gorgeous!

:wub:

No doubt, but may I suggest that you also check out her music - Cruxes on balancepointacoustics (availble dorectly from Aurora, I assume) is excellent.

Guest Chaney

Thank you all for the pointers on the Boston scene. I knew of Rainey and Sachimay buy was otherwise in the dark.

If I ever get a paycheck at my new place of employment (I get paid every two weeks :tdown ), I'll place some orders.

~~~~~~~~~~

$12 folks. You can't go wrong.

cruxes_cover.jpg

Edited by Chaney

Pianist Lowell Davidson, who had a single record on ESP with Graves and Peacock, was an integral part of the Boston scene up through the 80s. Apparently he exacted a pretty strong influence on a number of people working there, including guitarist Joe Morris.

And man, is this a beautiful record!

Guest Chaney

David: Do us a favor and buy up the entire Family Vineyard catalogue and post reviews.

Family Vineyard: Overseas orders add $4 per item to cover Air Mail shipping and handling.

Ouch!

Guest Chaney

Paul Flaherty occupies the fire-breathing spectrum of the Boston (and world) music, I guess, and he is very effective (and sincere, IMO) in this. He has a good, even admirable for stamina and determination, but somewhat limited in approach solo CD called "Voices" (on Wet Paint label), and a really excellent recently-released scream-fest Cold Bleak Heat: "It's magnificent, but it isn't war" (on Family Wineyard - also Boston-based label?)

Family Vineyard

PO Box 12243

Raleigh, NC 27605-2243

USA

I'm listening to samples right now. The label seems to have a nicely varied sound to it.

Edited by Chaney

David: Do us a favor and buy up the entire Family Vineyard catalogue and post reviews.

Family Vineyard: Overseas orders add $4 per item to cover Air Mail shipping and handling.

Ouch!

that's a lot, I'm guessing Eric would be flexible for larger orders.

I assume Eric would be interested in swapping for a set of complete Cold Blue label releases.

Well, I'd beg to differ. I thought it was pretty weak (listening to it now - to re-confirm). It is a very simplistic work with first track having a lot of extremely predictable tenor wailing, and then a couple of tracks with Rivers doing these up-and-down nasal soprano runs (and a bit of unspectacular flute) - one of the tracks being silly rock-ish tune. Pullen is doing his regular thing which sound spectacular when you hear it for the first time (I was thrilled first timee I heard Pullen), but gets extremely predictable very soon. Drummer (Bobby Battle) is nothing special either. I do not really hear anybody challenging each other (or themselves)here - very lazy music, IMO.

2help.gif

Thanks!

Tony, as Jon mentioned, Bhob Rainey's music is highly recommended. I enjoy immensely those few discs of his I have, pareticularly "Crawlspace / Universal Noir" on now-defunct Tautology label (should be still possible to find), and his solo "Inc." on Sachimay.

I think trumpeter Taylor Ho Bynum is also from Boston.

Paul Flaherty occupies the fire-breathing spectrum of the Boston (and world) music, I guess, and he is very effective (and sincere, IMO) in this. He has a good, even admirable for stamina and determination, but somewhat limited in approach solo CD called "Voices" (on Wet Paint label), and a really excellent recently-released scream-fest Cold Bleak Heat: "It's magnificent, but it isn't war" (on Family Wineyard - also Boston-based label?) with Greg Kelley (!), excellent drummer Chris Corsano and Matt Heyner on bass.

------------------------

Meanwhile, Pullen/Rivers is over, and goes directly to the exile bin. If somebody wants to receive it one day, let me know. I'll actually listen to some Paul Flaherty now.

------------------------

Looks like Lotte Anker's "Six Row Barley" (Utech; edition of 100) is not available anymore - I would urge you to get this one - Anker is an excellent and original alto-saxophonist, and on this disc her partner is non other than Paal Nilssen-Love, and they do some miracles together (there is actually also some electronics guy who is providing some occasional unnecessery, but not too annoying, humming noisy fan background.

Thanks for your recommendations and for the real-time review...I think I'll order "Duets & Solos" rather than "Capricorn Rising". (Witness here my attempt at curbing my music expeditures by selecting one or the other rather than just getting both.) Besides I can always trade you for it later if need be.

And by the way, for you US board members the BS/SN sale at The Woods works out to about $9.60 a disc with shipping and VAT deducted.