Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

:tup

Sam Rivers/Adam Rudolph/Harris Eisenstadt - Vista (Meta 009)

Sam Rivers on sax and flute with two percussionists. Recorded the day before Rivers's 80th birthday! Sounds very good on my first listen...

Seconded! I finally had a chance to hear this album and, after listening to it a few times over the past two days, I definitely recommend it. Rivers sounds fantastic and Rudoplh and Eisenstadt provide some very nice rhythms for him to improvise over.

Excellent disc! I am not a big fan of Rivres normally, but this one made me reconsider.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you'd chime in Hans! :g

Quick follow up on my Ayler order:

here's what I pay for:

- 004 Brötz

- 017/018 Gahnold

- 032 Wallin

- 048/049 Feza

seems I'll get two free items... and seems they will not be titles that I have already (033 Ayler, 036-040 Lyons, 050/151 Dynamic Duo). Great service from Jan Ström, I must add!

I didn't get any mail initially because my online-order never arrived.

RIVERS is one of the very great.

I think than our friend AA goes much banana this late - He gives up on BRAXTON!? A(h)A(h).

P.L.M., my friend, I went banana long time ago - nothing new here, Messrs. Rivers and Braxton have nothing to do with it.

Regarding Braxton, I have been invariably disppointed by his recent releases (duos with Cyrille, solo on Parallactic, etc.), culminating with horrendous 23 Standards set. I feel that the man ran out of ideas, and to a large extent of his (once-brilliant) technique - his sound is flat and not particualrly under control (IMO). Just listen to one of his earlier solo records back-to-back with any of his recent works - it is self-evident. I also was never a fan of Braxton-the-composer - his compositions sound to me extremely formal, dry and forced.

Regarding Rivers, I tend to appreciate his compositions much more than his playing (it was interesting to read that Joe Henderson had the same opinion).

His sound I find too dry for my taste with not enough depth, and I just cannot appreciate his improvisations - to me he sounds like he is always preparing to break loose but still holds himself back with solos never reaching a climax. I normally cannot keep myself interested listening to Rivers solos. Vista is excellent, though, so I might revisit some of the earlier Rivers CDs I have not listened to for years.

Edited by Д.Д.

What do people here make of the Alan Silva ESP? I had it on earlier, and I'm a big fan! Also, where should I go next with Silva?

I LOVE that record - one of my all-time faves! The first side is absolutely beautiful...

Where to go next with Silva? Well, "Solestrial" (side two of the ESP) points the way to the orchestral music he's worked on for the past 35 years, a lot of which is great. The two BYGs are fine sets, as is My Country on Leo - if you can find it. Though I'm not as into his recent synth-y stuff, the Treasure Box on Eremite is worth an investment.

I'll second the enthusiasm for the BYGs. "Luna Surface" is cerebral, dense, and dripping with your patented 60's exigency--a sort of prototypal BYG session. The sound, however, is ridiculously muddy, the recording is brief, and there's very little "let-up" throughout the course of the album (although I found it refreshing after some two hours of AMM). "Seasons," I'll contend, is the masterpiece. It's been reissued on Sunspots as a limited edition 2-disc package... the sound is fine, the album is a stunner: 3 LPs worth of top-shelf blowing, gorgeous ensemble interplay, and all the room necessary for dynamic contrast, subtlety, and exploration. I believe the word is "epic." Enough people have spluged all over it, but "Seasons" is certainly worth all the acclaim.

Also, where should I go next with Silva?

Alan Silva & Oluyemi Thomas - Transmissions (Eremite)

That would be my choice. Awful cover, great music. Oluyemi is fantastic here, too. He is sadly under-recorded.

Word. If you want to hear Silva, the bassist, this is the place to go. And a great showcase for Thomas.

I am quite a fan of Silva's orchestral synth playing - it is always unpredictable, and really funny, IMO. FOr Silva on synth, go for Emancipation Suite (Boxholder), a live recording with Kidd Jordan at his most extatic tenor blowing and William Parker on bass.

Has anyone heard that album of duets between Allen and Terry Adams? Crazy!

Haven't even heard of Terry Adams, so I googled and found a link to this release (bottom of the page). Samples do sound insane. I'll get it, I guess.

Insane just about says it. 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' on the same gig as a Ra tune says it all as well!

Actually, Adams plays some nice piano on here - even if it's something of a novelty album, I guess.

From the European Free Improv site:

Günter Christmann has issued, on Explico, Mal d'archive 2 with himself alongside Serge Baghdassarians and Boris Baltschun and Vario-41 by Boris Baltschun/John Butcher/Günter Christmann/Michael Griener in a limited edition of 150 numbered copies.

Anyone familiar with Edition Explico? With Günter Christmann?

Being a brave soul, I ordered:

Edition Explico 10 Temps durée: Günter Christmann, cello, trombone; Thomas Lehn, electronics

Blue Tower CD06/edition explico 05 Vario-34: Günter Christmann, cello, trombone; Alexander Frangenheim, double bass; Mats Gustafsson, saxophones; Thomas Lehn, electronics; Paul Lovens, percussion; Christian Munthe, guitar

Concepts of doing cod 007/Edition Explico 11 Mal d'archive: Serge Baghdassarians, guitar, electronics; Boris Baltschun, sampler, electronics; Günter Christmann, cello, trombone

Edition Explico 13 Mal d'archive 2: Serge Baghdassarians, guitar, electronics; Boris Baltschun, sampler, electronics; Günter Christmann, cello, trombone

Edition Explico 14 Vario-41: Boris Baltschun, sampler, electronics; John Butcher, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone; Günter Christmann, cello, trombone; Michael Griener, percussion

I don't believe this label has its own site but I was able to get the e-mail address of label owner Günter Christmann from John Butcher: edition.explico.music.art@web.de

From the European Free Improv site:

Günter Christmann has issued, on Explico, Mal d'archive 2 with himself alongside Serge Baghdassarians and Boris Baltschun and Vario-41 by Boris Baltschun/John Butcher/Günter Christmann/Michael Griener in a limited edition of 150 numbered copies.

Anyone familiar with Edition Explico? With Günter Christmann?

I got Vario-41 at the TMM in Berlin last fall - still haven't listened to it. The CD packaging is some of the most bizarre I've encountered so far.

Nice to see you back, Tony.

Jon: Günter confirmed the availability of Temps Duree.

If it's been out that long and is limited to 170 or so copies, pretty amazing that it's not OOP. Then again, as you know, we're not talking the typical easy listening jazz, so...

ON THE EDIT: Hey David! I'd been absent as I've just changed jobs -- IMPORTANT TO THOSE WHO SHIP TO THAT 350 MAIN STREET ADDRESS -- and my sister has been ill. Kinda been difficult times.

My new employer, beginning February 21, 2006: Fun? Nah...

I got Vario-41 at the TMM in Berlin last fall - still haven't listened to it. The CD packaging is some of the most bizarre I've encountered so far.

explico14.jpg

Looks pretty but I can't quite make out what it's made of.

Edited by Chaney