Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I second that - or even for more money. Great fuckin' record.

And, though it isn't something that I condone, most larger record labels have insurance built in, so at this point nobody's gonna up and die if you get a cheap sealed copy of this Brotz. Shit, now that he's not a part-owner of the label, his royalty check is probably even smaller!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of the others D.D. posted, I recommend Keith Tippett's Mujician III (though I still prefer Mujician I & II over it). I saw Dunmall playing solo bagpipes this summer at Jazz a Mulhouse and it was so-so, I thought - too few ideas & development to make most of the concert interesting.

there is no way that anyone paid FMP for those discs at those prices. a lot of times these cheap prices come up because an unethical distributor has simply not paid the label for the package they received and either sold the discs themselves or sold them in bulk cheaply to someone else who sells them to customers or stores. I have no idea of the specifics of this situation, but at least be aware of the likelihood of why this seller is offering such good prices.

Jon, thanks for your warning. I try to responsible when buying music.

I thought that such a large stock of new FMP titles is boght from some US distributor (or store) who could not sell FMP titles. I also seem to haveread somehting about possibility of buying CDs held by customs. In any case, I assume FMP got paid for these CDs at some point by somebody.

I will probably check with Helma - she might be able to shed light on this, given the sizeable quantity.

Tough one. Let's hope the copyright is with EP and he can do it as part of the Psi series, at some point. I'm pretty sure the Chronoscope won't reappear, though I bet there are copies floating around somewhere.

That said, I see that Crazy Jazz still lists this and Monoceros as available in 'limited stocks':

17539 : EVAN PARKER SOLO SOPRANO SAXOPHONE : MONOCEROS - (1978 - LIMITED STOCKS) : CHRONOSCOPE : £12.95 :

07672 : EVAN PARKER SOLO SOPRANO SAXOPHONE : SAXOPHONE SOLOS - (1975 - LIMITED STOCKS) : CHRONOSCOPE : £12.95 :

You're right on the target my friend.

I've chat with PARKER last sunday after an amazing concert of the SCHLIPPENBACH/ PARKER/ LOVENS TRIO.

We spoke about his label and, among other stuff, he told me than this babies will be print as PSI records in the comming two years.

Seems than ALL his music currently out of print will be on PSI sooner or later (except, of course, the stuff that is own by BAILEY as it seems than the two are not going to make friend again).

The two records will come also with a restored sound.

So keep the money that you wanted to spend on the CHRONOSCOPE, for the future PSI (if it's not already to late).

Edited by P.L.M

WTF indeed!

I think I'll send an e-mail to Mr. Uehlinger asking if everything is all right.

Please do, and keep us posted.

I can't imagine he just forgot to renew his subscription (or whatever it's called). I hope he's not in financial difficulties with hat hut.

Will do, Hans.

I don't want to start rumors (I know noTHING!) but I've been having a bad feeling about hat and its future. Seems that, what with so many other labels to discover and investigate, I've been buying less and less of hat's stuff of late. Aside from a few hat reissues, recent releases have been less than thrilling.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Hello Mr. Euhlinger,

I just noticed that your site seems to be 'down.' ("This domain name expired on 12/16/2005 and is pending renewal or deletion.")

Is everything all right?

Tony

Buffalo, New York

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your email. I forgot to renew it. My last payment was

on December 29, 2002 and I expected it to run until December 28th, 2005.

I just send an email to Network Solutions.

Thank you and merry christmas,

Werner X. Uehlinger

:party:

Will do, Hans.

I don't want to start rumors (I know noTHING!) but I've been having a bad feeling about hat and its future. Seems that, what with so many other labels to discover and investigate, I've been buying less and less of hat's stuff of late. Aside from a few hat reissues, recent releases have been less than thrilling.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Hello Mr. Euhlinger,

I just noticed that your site seems to be 'down.' ("This domain name expired on 12/16/2005 and is pending renewal or deletion.")

Is everything all right?

Tony

Buffalo, New York

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your email. I forgot to renew it. My last payment was

on December 29, 2002 and I expected it to run until December 28th, 2005.

I just send an email to Network Solutions.

Thank you and merry christmas,

Werner X. Uehlinger

:party:

So he did forget to renew... Hmmm...

Glad there seem to be no other problems.

Thanks Tony.

:g

Funny, but my sister has a pet rat and I can't get myself to touch the thing. (She's a loon. Over the years, she and her family have had a pet rat, two iguanas, a rabbit, a turtle, a snake, two cats, fish... Want to know what her husband bought her for x-mas? A dog! You'd be amazed at just how much of their small home is dedicated to this flippin' petting zoo.)

Just ordered this one from SquidCo:

lambertLePassant.jpg

"Michel Lambert began working on the music on Le Passant (The Wanderer) in 1992. Time, however, brought about changes. He reduced his original symphonic work to its current instrumentation. He calls it a meeting of the two forces and a confrontation between music that is through-composed and freely improvised. The latter is seen in complete detail on the last seven pieces, which are improv-based. The first five (together comprising "Le Passant") have the improvisers and the orchestra meeting and finding their means of expression together. ...Lambert filters the power of his orchestrations and lets the improvisers find their own space to dwell. They do, making this wanderer an often times startling one."-Jerry D'Souza/AAJ

Sound samples from CD Baby.

Just ordered this one from SquidCo:

lambertLePassant.jpg

"Michel Lambert began working on the music on Le Passant (The Wanderer) in 1992. Time, however, brought about changes. He reduced his original symphonic work to its current instrumentation. He calls it a meeting of the two forces and a confrontation between music that is through-composed and freely improvised. The latter is seen in complete detail on the last seven pieces, which are improv-based. The first five (together comprising "Le Passant") have the improvisers and the orchestra meeting and finding their means of expression together. ...Lambert filters the power of his orchestrations and lets the improvisers find their own space to dwell. They do, making this wanderer an often times startling one."-Jerry D'Souza/AAJ

Sound samples from CD Baby.

Whoa, that's a great line-up (except for Duval, whose playing I don't like too much... at all), and an intriguing concept. The samples did not sound that convincing, but I will probably go for it anyway.

Howard, IMO, has a very uneven discography. The one I like the most is Red Star (Boxholder, 2001) - a recording from 1977 with Bobby Few on piano, Guy Pedersen on bass, Richard Williams on trumpet and Kenny Clarke (!) on drums.

have you heard Howard's The Black Ark from the early seventies? barely reissued on CD (Japanese Tokuma), this is not only the best Howard I've heard, but the only Arthur Doyle I've ever liked. a real classic from this area of music.

I finally had a chance to hear Black Ark thanks to a kind soul on IHM. I was very impressed on first listen. This is a great album that deserves to be available.

Also, if you are a fan of the Art Ensemble of Chicago I highly recommend the album Black Paladins, by Joseph Jarman, Don Moye and Johnny Dyani, on Black Saint. Very, very good. I really like what Dyani adds to the mix, taking some tunes that would have fit righti in on an AEC album of the era and taking them to a different (S. African) place.

Edited by John B

Picked these two in a sale today:

rashidmid.jpg

c_drb_live.jpg

Playing the later one right now. Not as good as the Dörner/Mahall (with Schlippenbach, playing Monk) and Wogram/Mahall sets I heard at unerhört in November, but I quite like it. Mahall may indeed be the very best bass clarinet player since Dolphy (at least over here in Europe), and John Schröder is a great drummer. Möbus (guitar/leader) is maybe the weakest of the three. But all in all I find this quite an enjoyable disc.

Not sure I'll like the Ali/Rhames - never heard Rhames before... but for a prize of 10 CHF (ca. 6.50€) I had to buy it... (only later I realized it's a live set from Willisau, 1981).

Anyone knows any of these two discs?

(edit: had a wrong pic in here, originally...)

Edited by king ubu

By coincidence the Ali/Rhames is winging its way to me here at the moment -- I'm not sure it'll click that much with me (Ali's decades-long series of tributes to Coltrane is getting a little much....) but given that I talked with James Finn at length about his buddy Rhames I want to check him out. Anyway, will have to compare notes once I've got my hands on it.

ubu - I have not heard that Der Rote Bereich but neither of the other two I've heard was a keeper. Seeing them live and hearing the music once might be fun but it's definitely not the sort of thing I'd return to. I hope the one you have is the best of the bunch, though.

I listened twice to the new Roscoe Mitchell, Turn, on RogueArt and it's not bad at all. The music covers a fair bit of ground, as is usual with Roscoe's albums and what I can say so far is that this certainly won't disappoint if you are a fan.