Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of scary to see some are sold out!

Not scary to me! On the contrary, I find this very encouraging!

That means that business for these releases is good! ;)

Note that these sold out items have a note saying 'currently out of print'. Which probably means they will be available again later!

I've yet to listen to the Return of the New Thing album (Traque) I just bought but if anyone cares, I would certainly recommend the following Ayler releases:

The Electrics - Chain of Accidents (and hopefully their next release won't be a long time coming, I was at the concerts, at Glenn Miller Cafe, where they were recording the material for it)

Exploding Customer - Live at Glenn Miller Cafe and Live at Tampere Jazz Happening (the second came out very recently so I don't yet know if I prefer one to the other but they're both good)

Jimmy Lyons - The Box Set

There are a number of reviews of each on the net (and also here and on jc, I think) if you'd like to know more about how the music sounds but there's really plenty to enjoy in each of these.

Just ordered three items:

- Brötz Nefertiti

- Wallin

- Mongezi Feza

but I didn't see anything about the sale while ordering... I just had to put in the amount of money (54€) myself... I wonder... will they send me a PayPal invitation to pay this minus 25% now? How does that work? I don't like sales where things are not put any clearer.

As for the OOP stuff: anyone wants to pass on his copy of the Noah Howard? I would have liked to hear that one!

Oh, and THANKS, brownie! I would indeed have missed this sale!

Edited by king ubu

ubu - Jan Strom (label owner) is a great guy and I'm sure you'll get the 25% discount no problem. So have you heard any of the ones I've recommended (except the Lyons, which I'm pretty sure you have) - because you know maybe it wouldn't have hurt to spring for one of those rather than getting another Brotzmann disc (which, I also have and what I can say is that I certainly like it better than the more recent Atavistic disc, which I've traded a while ago).

ubu - Jan Strom (label owner) is a great guy and I'm sure you'll get the 25% discount no problem. So have you heard any of the ones I've recommended (except the Lyons, which I'm pretty sure you have) - because you know maybe it wouldn't have hurt to spring for one of those rather than getting another Brotzmann disc (which, I also have and what I can say is that I certainly like it better than the more recent Atavistic disc, which I've traded a while ago).

No, but the Wallin looks good to me, and I wanted the Feza and Brötz anyway... won't order more for now, I'm afraid!

I ordered three discs, too. I bought the new Hamid Drake / Assif Tsahar - Live at Glenn Miller cafe, Lars-Göran Ulander Trio - Live at Glen Miller Cafe and The Electrics - "Chain of Accidents."

I don't know the Wallin disc you ordered but the Brotz is really good and I really enjoy the Feza, too.

I've been going back and relistening to all of the discs on Ayler I own. I also highly recommend the Lyons box, both Exploding Customer discs, the Anders Gahnold - Flowers for Johnny, the Dynamic Duo disc, the first Drake / Tsahar disc and the William Parker - ...and William Danced.

There are more Aylers that I enjoy, but those are my favorites.

I guess I own fewer Aylers than the rest of you. I ordered:

Henry Grimes

John Stevens

Electrics

Firehouse

SURD

Janson / Kullhammar / Nilssen-Love

I was really disappointed to see that the Howard is OOP. I really wanted that one.

I'm tempted to place another order. Does anyone want to share their opinions on...

Mongezi Feza (I really like his work with the Blue Notes)

Anders Gahnold Trio

Hamid Drake / Assif Tsahar - Soul Bodies 2

The Dynamic Duo

Bayashi

Just ordered three items:

- Brötz Nefertiti

- Wallin

- Mongezi Feza

but I didn't see anything about the sale while ordering... I just had to put in the amount of money (54€) myself... I wonder... will they send me a PayPal invitation to pay this minus 25% now? How does that work? I don't like sales where things are not put any clearer.

As for the OOP stuff: anyone wants to pass on his copy of the Noah Howard? I would have liked to hear that one!

Oh, and THANKS, brownie! I would indeed have missed this sale!

I also received a confirmation e-mail (very quickly) from Jan that factored the sale price into the order.

I was really disappointed to see that the Howard is OOP. I really wanted that one.

I'm tempted to place another order. Does anyone want to share their opinions on...

Anders Gahnold Trio

The Dynamic Duo

Bayashi

The Howard is oop, but still listed as available at JazzLoft.

I wrote up the Feza a few times here. It is a fairly rough jam session, but I really like it. The Gahnold Trio (Flowers for Johnny) is excellent. It should probably be your next choice, out of the ones you listed. I have the new Drake / Tsahar on order. People at JC who have heard it all give it a thumbs up. The Dynamic Duo is good, but not essential. It is important as there was very little recorded Arthur Rhames prior to its release. I don't know the Bayashi.

I hope that helps.

I also received a sale notice from Jon Abbey over the weekend.

I don't have it handy but I believe all Ersts are on sale for the month of February - single discs are $10 and doubles are $17 (I think).

Correct:

"all single CDs are $10, doubles $17, plus my shipping estimate. buy any 5 releases, get an additional single CD free. the AMPLIFY 2002: balance box set (which is starting to run low) is still $100 plus shipping, but you also get two single discs of your choice included for free. sale ends last day of February and is only good for all-Erstwhile orders directly through me at ErstRecs@aol.com. no preorders will be accepted; this only applies to releases out now.

EL005 is $28 plus shipping, and if you buy EL005 plus two other discs, you get one more free."

This doesn't help me at all, but at least I'm not tempted to spend any more money.

I just saw elsewhere that Thomas Lehn / Marcus Schmickler - Bart is down to 4 remaining copies.

Edited by John B

Note that these sold out items have a note saying 'currently out of print'. Which probably means they will be available again later!

According to Jan these will most likely not be repressed. The Drake / Tsahar vol. 1 might be an exception, but only if vol. 2 drives up demand.

He also said that a few other titles are running low and will either have to be repressed or listed as out of print later on this year. I asked him if we could get a list of the titles affected.

EDIT -

Here you go:

004 - Brötz

033 - Albert

035 - Electrics

044 - Parker

These are the four discs that are running low and may or may not be reissued. I really like the Brotz, Ayler and Parker discs (although most of the Ayler has since turned up on the Holy Ghost box) and have an order in for the Electrics.

Edited by John B

Anders Gahnold Trio

The Dynamic Duo

Bayashi

I wrote up the Feza a few times here. It is a fairly rough jam session, but I really like it. The Gahnold Trio (Flowers for Johnny) is excellent. It should probably be your next choice, out of the ones you listed. I have the new Drake / Tsahar on order. People at JC who have heard it all give it a thumbs up. The Dynamic Duo is good, but not essential. It is important as there was very little recorded Arthur Rhames prior to its release. I don't know the Bayashi.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, John. It does.

And thanks for the tip - I just ordered the Howard from JazzLoft.

Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on the Michael Marcus?

Howard is rather weak, IMO. Startes OK, but quickly degenrates into cliche'd free jazz blowing. ANd I just cannot get to appreciate Bobby Few's playing - too many notes, too syropy...

--------------------------

I assume you guys all saw the new Leo releases. Out of those, I am most interested in Minton/Turner duo disc - I understand this is a classic of sorts. As for the rest, I pretty much gave up on Braxton by now, and I am still not really in the Sun Ra universe (although, this period - early 70s, is the one I like more).

Also on Leo, there will be a 11-CD box of Vladimir Tarasov solo drums works, spanning the period of the last 25 years. Vladimir Tarasov is a great drummer, of Ganelin trio fame. I saw the box - it's really a labor of love with great booklet and interesting cover art. Interestigly, the release is sponsored by the Ford Foundation. It has a DVD as well. Some of the individual discs are availble on Sonore label (I think Verge carries them). I'll go for it, in due course.

:tup

Sam Rivers/Adam Rudolph/Harris Eisenstadt - Vista (Meta 009)

Sam Rivers on sax and flute with two percussionists. Recorded the day before Rivers's 80th birthday! Sounds very good on my first listen...

Seconded! I finally had a chance to hear this album and, after listening to it a few times over the past two days, I definitely recommend it. Rivers sounds fantastic and Rudoplh and Eisenstadt provide some very nice rhythms for him to improvise over.

:tup

Sam Rivers/Adam Rudolph/Harris Eisenstadt - Vista (Meta 009)

Sam Rivers on sax and flute with two percussionists. Recorded the day before Rivers's 80th birthday! Sounds very good on my first listen...

Seconded! I finally had a chance to hear this album and, after listening to it a few times over the past two days, I definitely recommend it. Rivers sounds fantastic and Rudoplh and Eisenstadt provide some very nice rhythms for him to improvise over.

I agree that this is a very good album. I've also been downloading a good number of live Rivers, from late 70's and 80's - duos with Holland or trios with a percussionist added, and though they're unedited concerts, most are good enough to return to again and again.