Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw Dewey Redman quartet tonight.

Sad. Just a shadow of Dewey we love - no chops, no sound, no ideas. Didn't play too much - left the stage for extended aping for Matt Wilson (who is normally a very clever inventive drummer, but today was just banging), Rita Marcotulli (who was the best in the band actually, but also nothing particularly outstanding) and an extremely boring bassist (John Menegon). Then there was some silly call-and-response with the audience, and a little boogie at the end. And yeah, Redmond also played some very out-of-tune mussette a little bit.

Hope this was just a bad night (it was the last concert of the European tour, and the band arrived to Geneva just a couple of hours before the concert - obviously tired).

Edited by Д.Д.

Saw Dewey Redman quartet tonight.

Sad. Just a shadow of Dewey we love - no chops, no sound, no ideas. Didn't play too much - left the stage for extended aping for Matt Wilson (who is normally a very clever inventive drummer, but today was just banging), Rita Marcotulli (who was the best in the band actually, but also nothing particularly outstanding) and an extremely boring bassist (John Menegon). Then there was some silly call-and-response with the audience, and a little boogie at the end. And yeah, Redmond also played some very out-of-tune mussette a little bit.

Hope this was just a bad night (it was the last concert of the European tour, and the band arrived to Geneva just a couple of hours before the concert - obviously tired).

This sounds even worse then when I saw him last year!

Shit!

He did that boogie thing, too, at the end of both sets, also the call & response with the audience at the end of the second set.

Menegan (-on?) is boring, indeed!

When I saw him, John Betsch was on drums. Marcotulli was pretty good, I thought, but all in all - sad to say, and I hope I'll be proved wrong! - he seems to be through... :(

ubu

Does anybody know of anywhere on line I can buy clean-feed releases? That looks a good one & they have the new Ken Vandermark also.

Looks like CADENCE is the official distributor and DMG also sells clean feed titles.

Thanks Chaney , it looks like http://www.crazyjazz.co.uk/labels/c/cleanfeed.htm (a little closer to home)

has clean feed as well.

They all seem to have all the titles except for this one (typically)

019.jpg

Release date was March - I'll have to keep checking these sites.

Guest Chaney

Thanks Chaney , it looks like  http://www.crazyjazz.co.uk/labels/c/cleanfeed.htm (a little closer to home)

has clean feed as well.

You have to be really patriotic to buy at such prices.

Boy, you're not kidding!

Nice that Mr. Gonzalez is able to offer his clean feed release for the very attractive price of $12.

Д.Д.: Received a little package from you today. THANKS! Listening to Closed Mountains just now: EXTREMELY impressed by what I'm hearing. It's especially nice to hear such sweetness in what is too often the sonically violent world of jazz improv.

:tup

Thanks Chaney , it looks like  http://www.crazyjazz.co.uk/labels/c/cleanfeed.htm (a little closer to home)

has clean feed as well.

You have to be really patriotic to buy at such prices.

Boy, you're not kidding!

Nice that Mr. Gonzalez is able to offer his clean feed release for the very attractive price of $12.

Д.Д.: Received a little package from you today. THANKS! Listening to Closed Mountains just now: EXTREMELY impressed by what I'm hearing. It's especially nice to hear such sweetness in what is too often the sonically violent world of jazz improv.

:tup

I also really enjoyed Closed Mountains. I need to listen to the second disc later on today.

Dennis Gonzalez has great prices on quite a few of his discs. I'm ordering Old Time Revival and Home directly from him.

Dennis Gonzalez has great prices on quite a few of his discs.  I'm ordering Old Time Revival and Home directly from him.

John, I would really recommend Catechism. I find it more interesting and original than Old Time Revival (which is also excellent, btw).

Today got two new releases from Intakt:

1. Larry Ochs (ts, ss), Miya Masaoka (koto), Joan Jeanrenaud (cello) - Fly, Fly, Fly

2. Pierre Favre (dr), MIchel Godard (tuba), Arte Saxophone Quartett - 'Saxophones'

Will listen and report here.

Edited by Д.Д.

[They all seem to have all the titles except for this one (typically)

019.jpg

Release date was March - I'll have to keep checking these sites.

I bought this one directly from VANDERMARK some weeks ago with his other recent release, FREE FALL: FURNACE.

I find GAMBIT so,so.

Nothing here really to keep your attention awake and the sound qualityy is just average.

The FREE FALL is in another category.

Not only an hommage to the GIUFFRE/ BLEY/ SWALLOW trio but a real reworking of the idiom from a contemporary point of view.

Of course, BLEY/ PARKER/ PHILLIPS with TIME WILL TELL and SANKT GEROLD continued to be, for me, the best contemporary version of the mighty original trio, what is quite understandable as one third of it is leading the way.

But the VANDERMARK'S FREE FALL is a remarkable effort worth to listen to.

The ARTE sax quartet is a fine group, by the way! They are part of Kaspar Ewald's (a young swiss composer/arranger) big band (he calls it "Exorbitantes Kabinett") - I saw them live and they're smoking, complex, funky, and full of power and humour. He did an arrangement of "L'homme armée", has tunes in 11 and similar stuff, some minimal music influence as far as rhythmic development is concerned.

Also the ARTE quartet made a disc with Basle pianist Hans Feigenwinter (I saw him accompanying Joe Lovano with his trio GAS - Great American Songs, a mainstream trio, but a good one), and electric bass guitarist Wolfgang Zwiauer (who also is part of the Kaspar Ewald group). The disc is called "Tank", if I remember right, the label escapes me (don't have it with me). Pretty cool line up: sax quartet, electric bass, and sometimes piano.

Then they also performed with Terry Riley - music of his written for sax quartet, and also music for sax quartet and piano with himself at the piano.

ubu

Are you a subscriber of Intakt now?

I am.

25 Sfr per CD is a bit expensive, but OK, the music is worth it...

And you are complaining about the prices Crazy Jazz is charging for Clean Feed CDs?? :huh:;)

Well, this is still cheaper than from Crazy Jazz ($19.4 vs. $23.9), it includes shipping, and all the money go directly to the label. I don't mind paying a bit more to a label or artist directly, but to reseller - no way.

front.jpg

another great disc of Russian improv to listen to today:

GERU - German Russian Project

Peter Kowald - Bass

Dietrich Rauschtenberger - Drums

Alexander Kostikov - Guitar

Andrew Solovyov - Trumpet, Flugelhorn and Flute

I really enjoy this disc! I wasn't as instantly amazed by it as I was by Closed Mountains, but this one is definitely a keeper. Kostikov reminds me of Joe Morris on many of these tracks. Kowald, Rauschtenberger and Solovyov all sound great on here, too.

The crayon war drawings in the liner notes don't really fit the tone of the music, as the songs themselves are much calmer and more thoughtful than I would have expected based on the imagery.

All in all I am really impressed by both discs!

OK, I'll bring you some more.

If this got you interested in Russian / Soviet improv, I would encourage you to check out Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz series on Leo Records (at the bottom of the page here: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&id=CD_GY). These are limited editions (500 copies), and they are pretty cheap ($46 per 4-CD set).

The music is highly original (and diverse) and probably better displays the unique "Russian" approach to improvisational music (the CDs I sent you are a bit more in the "European" vein)

Here are some thoughtful reviews by Dan Warburton:

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...mar_text.html#5

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...mar_text.html#8

Edited by Д.Д.

OK, I'll bring you some more.

If this got you interested in Russian / Soviet improv, I would encourage you to check out Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz series on Leo Records (at the bottom of the page here: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&id=CD_GY ). These are limited editions (500 copies), and they are pretty cheap ($46 per 4-CD set).

The music is highly original (and diverse) and probably better displays the unique "Russian" approach to improvisational music (the CDs I sent you are a bit more in the "European" vein)

Here are some thoughtful reviews by Dan Warburton:

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...mar_text.html#5

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...mar_text.html#8

Most definitely! I greatly enjoyed both discs.

I also need to explore the Genalin Trio. I have never heard any of their work.

The Golden Years set got a great write up in a back issue of Signal to Noise. I'll go back and reread it tonight. At that price it sounds like I might have to start exploring those releases before they go oop.

ubu, have you seen this: Taktlos ?

A nice little festival, ah?. If I am in Switzerland that weekend, I'll definitely go to Zürich.

I am very well aware of the Taktlos! A great festival, though each year I went, I saw/heard some very bad things, too.

Sunday night sounds cool (Gratkowski, Guy), maybe friday, too (for Larry Ochs, mostly, and Peggy Lee - both of whom I hardly know and would like to check out).

The same programme also takes place in Basel - might be closer for you?

ubu

The Golden Years set got a great write up in a back issue of Signal to Noise. I'll go back and reread it tonight.

At that price it sounds like I might have to start exploring those releases before they go oop.

Well, I doubt these sets sell like hot cakes, so the risk of them going OOP any time soon is not paricularly high (allthough who knows, some 3000 malefactors bought all the copies of Rara Avis CD :rmad: ).

If you place a large order (particularly for Russian stuff ;)), Leo will most likely give you a nice discount... and he charges only £1 for shipping regardless of the order size and destination.

As for STN reviews of 'Golden Years..', these are the same ones that are on the Dan Warburton website.